Sedalpism and class mobolity

Manu

53 minutes ago, Manu said:

I don't find anywhere this information... Do Sedalpists allow class mobility? Are they more Rokarists or Hrestolists?

It's not been stated.  One idea that i had before was

One thing you could do is to make the Sedalpist wizards caste being one of renunciates.  Every Sedalpist upon reaching adulthood is sent to the local Sedalpist commune to live a chaste lifestyle and mediate for a couple of years.  Most simply learn the rudiments of their faith and flunk sorcery before heading out into the world again.  A few, or rather the Sedalpist wizards caste proper are those who have succeeded in their meditations and elect to remain within the caste rather than return to the outside world.  

• Like 1

Hence Sedalpist could be a cross-breed between mystics and Wizards? And as they don't want to taint themselves in killing Humans, they could learn to master 'martial arts" (like Aikido) in order to defend themselves against outsides and also possible dangerous animals

Nobles, instead of running tournaments with heavily armored knight, could challenge each others with dance, music, poetry and some martial art contest.

(sorry for this of topic imagination coming from the previous post)

Edited by Manu
Apologies

Class mobility is (sadly) almost unknown outside of the Loskalmi sphere of influence. The original concept of the men-of-all was the only way to change your caste from whichever you were before taking the exams and the new job.

They cannot be either Rokari or Loskalmi style Hrestoli because either of these movements started well after the Closing. The Sedalpists build on the same "Old Malkioni Church" (post-canonical term used in Revealed Mythologies for the mainstream, old-Hrestoli Malkionism during the Middle Sea Empire period) as do Rokarism or Hrestolism, but without the consequences of Halwal interfering with the state-supported Malkionism of Yomili, and instead with their very own and weird interaction with the Cult of Silence, and the exposure to Woodland Judgements following the systematic persecution of proven or suspected Malkioneranist heroquesters starting even before the Machine Wars.

Nonviolent conflict resolution through contests, now where have we seen this before? A contest of dancing, a contest of magic, a contest of music, a contest of martial arts, the latter plunging the universe into a long-delayed and overdue night interrupted by something a lot worse that the hitherto suppressed dark.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I'm sorry Joerg, I'm not sure I followed you 100%. OK I understand that Class mobility was created long after the Sedalpist arrived in Umathela, therefore there is little chance that they would follow this approach.

But the rest, I'm lost!!! ;)

I have a hard time following the various Malkioni denominations as well, they all sorta meld together, especially since they keep reusing names, and some of those names are outdated.

As I understand it, the point Joerg made was that the Sedalpists have a range of unique influences due to their unique location in Umathela.

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

Nonviolent conflict resolution through contests, now where have we seen this before? A contest of dancing, a contest of magic, a contest of music, a contest of martial arts, the latter plunging the universe into a long-delayed and overdue night interrupted by something a lot worse that the hitherto suppressed dark.

I thought you were going to suggest something analogous to the Olympic games there for a second.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

I thought you were going to suggest something analogous to the Olympic games there for a second.

I was referring to the Three and One Contests between Orlanth and Yelm. Umathelan nobles engaging in such contests would tread the mythic path of Orlanth vs. Yelm, which is fine for a Malkioni community living in the land named after the Primal Storm. As long as nobody gets killed in those contests, they can keep it at Golden Age interaction.

There are downsides to this. The Challenger doesn't get to pick the judges.´Success for the challenger is to lure some followers of the challenged who unfairly gets decreed victor into his own camp. How that could translate into actual politics is a lot harder to imagine than Lunar Dart Competitions where you have bunches of Rune Levels going head to head in clandestine warfare.

But then, the Umathelans have something like that, too - hiring non-Sedalpists to do their dirty work.

Telling how it is excessive verbis