Hating Cambrians & Cumbrians?

I’m still learning my way around the regions, their famous people, and their descendants. On my recent run through BoSires, two of my players got some unfamiliar Passions: Hate (Cambrian tribesmen) and Hate (Cumbrian tribesmen).

I know enough (not much) to know Cambria is out west, and Cumbria is up north, but I haven’t quite connected the dots enough yet to be clear on who exactly they hate, in 480 when we begin, and on into significant future encounters.

If your players had these passions, when and where and against who would they come up?

Edited by Sir Mad Munkee

Cambrian tribesmen are the hill men of Cambria. So you'd be looking at the mountains of Wales, pretty much most of Cambria south of Norgales and north of Escavalon and Estregales. There are some civilized kingdoms out there like Ergyng and Galvoie, but most of them are tribesmen rather than feudal.

In Cumbria, the situation is somewhat different, since they become feudalized more fully, too. So the Hatred should probably be for a particular Cumbrian homeland.

If you don't mind me asking, in what circumstances did they pick up those Hates? Grandfather died in the invasion of the Picts and the Cumbrians? Siege of Carlion for the Cambrians? I am asking because if you start off from South Counties, it takes a bit of doing to get those Hates otherwise...

14 minutes ago, Morien said:

If you don't mind me asking, in what circumstances did they pick up those Hates? Grandfather died in the invasion of the Picts and the Cumbrians? Siege of Carlion for the Cambrians? I am asking because if you start off from South Counties, it takes a bit of doing to get those Hates otherwise...

Yup, Siege of Carlion for the Cambrians, and... now I’m thinking I might’ve screwed up. Searching through the PDF I’m not finding Hate (Cumbrians) anywhere. I’ll get back to you when I’m home and have the player’s notes in front of me...

So I checked and, yeah, I screwed up. Not in game, but in memory. One of the players misunderstood and wrote down Cumbrian instead of Cambrian, we straightened it out, and I remembered the conversation, not the context.

So both players ended up with a Hate (Cambrian tribesmen) passion, so it’s answered. Thanks!

My only remaining question is: does anyone know off the top of their head when in the GPC anything happens where that passion might actually be relevant?

The standard PK history in KAP 5.2 has the chance to have both Hate (Irish) and Hate (Picts) which also may not come up that often. Part of the idea behind the Book of Sires was to give gamemasters the freedom to set their campaign anywhere in Logres. There is also enough info there to allow them to do so in the areas that go all the way to 484, such as Cumbria.

Thanks for getting back on the Hate (Cumbrians) as I did not recall that off the top of my head and did not find it when I did a pass through it.

11 minutes ago, Hzark10 said:

The standard PK history in KAP 5.2 has the chance to have both Hate (Irish) and Hate (Picts) which also may not come up that often.

Yeah, I don't mind at all having rarely used Passions. It's those rare moments when it is relevant that add unexpected and interesting complications. 14 years of nothing, then in 494 the PKs remember the words of their dying father, and boom! :D

And the beauty of having a backstory already created when you first enter play. When I first saw the beginnings of the Previous History for KAP way, way back, I was hooked.  In my of my campaigns, it was interesting to watch when players had some connections already established and they embellished those even more.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:03 AM, Sir Mad Munkee said:

My only remaining question is: does anyone know off the top of their head when in the GPC anything happens where that passion might actually be relevant?

If you ever run the "Adventure of the Tournament of Dreams" from Tales of Mystic Tournaments, it's mostly located in Powys and you could definitely have lots of Cambrian tribesmen about to inflame any Hate passions still present in the group. ;)

• Thanks 1

I second what the previous two said about the earlier adventures, especially Savage Mountains. I had a group that had great fun dealing with the campaign against the Cambrians. One of the players had fallen in love with a high ranking lady under guardianship of an early king, (Nanteleod maybe,? I can't remember.) and they went through an extended campaign against Cambrian tribesman to conquer the lands in the name of king and love. Ultimately, successful and then the lady died a few years later after a horrible winter phase where the knight's manor burnt down, kinsmen died, and then the lady died in childbirth.

Savage Mountains also has a really great adventure where the heroes track down the Palug Cat.