Elemental Weapons

Tywyll

Ok, so many of you will remember the old Fireblade from RQ.

I'm working on other Elemental Weapon buffs.

I've got the Windblade and the Earthblade, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the Waterblade. Any ideas/suggestions? I'd like it to be about on par (in usefulness) to Fireblade.

I've got the Windblade and the Earthblade, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the Waterblade. Any ideas/suggestions? I'd like it to be about on par (in usefulness) to Fireblade.

I assume Wind or Earth causes knockback?

Give Waterblade a chance to reduce the opponent's DEX by 1d6 [6 maximum], as their clothes get waterlogged, or they begin suffering from chilling attacks.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Actually the wind blade is harder to parry/dodge, and the earth blade ignores some armor.

While the debuff idea is interesting, and I might go that route, but I don't think it compares (unless you are suggesting it be cumulative per strike) with 3d6 damage.

These are the rules we use for our Dark Wind Knight campaign. The elements are clearly Gloranthan but the system can be adapted.

By expending one Power Point a Knight can materialize his preferred weapon from the raw element. It can be take the shape of an ethereal weapon made of the appropriate element, or it can merge with a physical weapon of the same type the knight is using, adding its bonuses. The weapon is unbreakable, can vanish at will and does damage depending on the element

Lightining blade: 1d(Darkvalour) damage, ignores armor but not magical protection, extra damage affects parrying weapon if parried

Stone shield: add another darkvalour to the AP of the weapon

Dark bludgeon: 1 point cold damage (like a shade) per 6 points darkvalour or fractions

Fire blade: 1d(Darkvalour) damage, armour protects until overheated

Water wave: 2d(Darkvalour), damage counts for knockback only

Moon blade: 1d(Darkvalour) Power Point damage, effects which protect from spells block this damage

Substitute Allegiance (Element) / 5 to Darkvalour and you have a template. Balance is not perfect, though.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Drips acid?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Ice blade/ spear /axe? Can reshape at will.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Actually the wind blade is harder to parry/dodge, and the earth blade ignores some armor.

While the debuff idea is interesting, and I might go that route, but I don't think it compares (unless you are suggesting it be cumulative per strike) with 3d6 damage.

Earthblade ignoring armor seems weak, seeing as really good attack results ignore armor anyway. I'm really keen on the knockback concept. Target must resist with a successful SIZ or STR roll, or be knocked back 1 meter for every 5 points of damage.

Moonblade just screams 'Insanity!'. Target must resist accumulated Moonblade damage or suffer a temporary insanity.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Earthblade ignoring armor seems weak, seeing as really good attack results ignore armor anyway. I'm really keen on the knockback concept. Target must resist with a successful SIZ or STR roll, or be knocked back 1 meter for every 5 points of damage.

Moonblade just screams 'Insanity!'. Target must resist accumulated Moonblade damage or suffer a temporary insanity.

I think ignoring armor would be fairly dramatic... I mean, you need a crit to ignore it, so that only happens 2-5% of the time, while this spell improves that amazingly. Fireblade just does more damage, which arguably you get from an impale.

However, I do definitely agree with the Moonblade idea!