Heortland - draft

Jeff

3 hours ago, dumuzid said:

Is there any more detail to be had on how Broyan died?

There are several statements on that including the use of Lunar magic or sorcery by Tatius.

GS p.39 probably the most detailed: "In Kethaela, King Broyan marched north with a small army. Among the Kitori, a little bright light was snuffed out, and a demon that had many sharp mouths was let out of its skin. It sought vengeance, and fell upon the army of King Broyan while they slept. The king could not keep it away, because he had betrayed the City of Wonders, and the Great King was killed there, with his army."

There is nothing more detailed. Whether it means the Lunars summoned a demon within Broyan's camp, or released a demon to pursue Broyan because he broke his vow, or other option is pretty much up to the GM to decide. But Broyan killed and much of his army is destroyed by it.  One option for the demon is the Black Eater - I particularly like to envision the figure from the Gods War.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:58 AM, Jeff said:

Durengard Temperature and Precipitation 

Season

Temp (low/high)

Rainfall

(cm/days)

Prevailing Winds

Snow (cm)

Sea-Early

6/22

15/20

Southwesterly

Sea-Late

11/23

15/18

Southwesterly

Hi Jeff, just wanted to ask about the Rainfall on the chart. It's listed as cm/days, but it looks more like a low/high range. I know it's only a draft, is this a typo and should be low/high? (and thank you BTW, this is excellent stuff!!)     @Jeff   

image.png.6188af2246ded2e07298e5d0793741aa.png

13 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

It's listed as cm/days, but it looks more like a low/high range. I know it's only a draft, is this a typo and should be low/high? (and thank you BTW, this is excellent stuff!!)

It means 8 cm of rain spread over 8 days where rain occurs (for instance looking at early Fireseason).  It's not a low/high range.  However, it does represent average, so could vary.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

Thanks, i was wondering if it was low/high range in cm over the season.

Because in Late Fire Season it's 5cm over 6 days which is 0.83 cm/day. Then in Early Sea Season where i would think it's more wet, it's 15cm over  20 days which is 0.75cm/day... so it's more rain in Fire season than in Sea Season (understood all averages), which very well may be the case. Anyway, that's what got me curious, not critical, merely curious... (i'm doing scenarios in this area which concerns rain).

Edited by 10baseT

1 hour ago, 10baseT said:

Thanks, i was wondering if it was low/high range in cm over the season.

Because in Late Fire Season it's 5cm over 6 days which is 0.83 cm/day. Then in Early Sea Season where i would think it's more wet, it's 15cm over  20 days which is 0.75cm/day... so it's more rain in Fire season than in Sea Season (understood all averages), which very well may be the case. Anyway, that's what got me curious, not critical, merely curious... (i'm doing scenarios in this area which concerns rain).

It means that the rainy days in Fire Season are more likely to be brief storms which dump a lot of rain, while the Sea Season days are more like overcast days with a lot of drizzle. More rain falls overall during Early Sea Season (15 cm) than in either Early or Late Fire Season (8 cm and 5 cm, respectively).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lysus said:

It means that the rainy days in Fire Season are more likely to be brief storms which dump a lot of rain, while the Sea Season days are more like overcast days with a lot of drizzle. More rain falls overall during Early Sea Season (15 cm) than in either Early or Late Fire Season (8 cm and 5 cm, respectively).

Good explanation of frequency, it paints a good picture (i think it's me not knowing how to read these). For overall rain, would it be safe to say for example, Sea Season gets a total of 30cm of rain for the season, Fire Season gets a total of 13cm for the season, etc. (These are just the cm numbers for Early and Late season added up). The reason why i ask is, i'm looking at salt pans on the coast, so harvesting can't be when it's raining a lot.

27 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

The reason why i ask is, i'm looking at salt pans on the coast, so harvesting can't be when it's raining a lot.

Bear in mind that this is the weather for Durengard which is up on the plateau, and somewhat sheltered in the river valley, not the coastal flats. The flats are going to get more rain, more fog, more overcast as the winds sweep in from the southwest across the Mirrorsea. There will also be more storms to the east as the clouds climb up the Storm Mountains and hit the desert winds of the Storm Bull.  Particularly true in Stormseason, so expect wild swings of weather then - snowstorms as northern winds hit moist winds, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 6:58 AM, jajagappa said:

There is no current overall ruler. Rikard Tiger-hearted took the title of King of New Malkonwal, but with his capture and subsequent disappearance, the area was briefly under Lunar military governors (outside of Bandori). Once the Lunars left, it's fallen largely onto local rulers. 

I bet Rikard is being held for ransom by the Lunars, but the local lords are keeping that quiet and refusing to pay so as to maintain their power.

Hopefully a hero will arise who can unite the diverse peoples of New Malkonwal and free their King...FamousDucks4.jpg.1cd3e8c5e0d62849f68a8b5

Edited by JonL
  • Like 3