Assistant Priest occupation

dracopticon

Hello!

I don't know if this has been proposed before, but I need an addition to the Priest occupation in my scenario, as I want the magic to be something you get gradually, as a process. And that is mirrored in the addition of an Assistant Priest occupation, for me, that is is the same as an Acolyte. This is the write up I was thinking should describe this occupation (below). What do you think? If my English is faltering, please excuse me and I really would like some help in that case, because I a Swede and this is not my native tongue.

Assistant Priest (Acolyte)

Thsi is a person assisting the Priest in all religious duties, processions and daily services of the temple and the faith. The Acolyte is also trained in the more profound ways of Rune magic, just as the Priest. Acolytes either go through the rites and rigorous training to become true Priests or early on develop their style of support for the temple as a God-talker, either way, there are often several Acolytes helping and supporting the Priest, accompanying them on whatever duty is needed for the faith and local community. An Acolyte can also act like an envoy or leader for a small group on an important task, temporarily carried out for the temple or the community where it is placed. Acolytes are also a sort of "Nobles-in-training" as the Priest occupation has that elevated status.

Homelands: All.

Occupational Skills: Any Cult skill +5%, Cult Lore +10%, Dance+10%, Play Instrument +10%, Read/Write (Own language) +5%, Charm +5%, Orate +20%, Insight (Human) +30%, Manage Household +10%, Sing +10%, Worship (Deity) +30%, Meditate +10%, Prepare Dead +10%.

Standard of living: Free.

Base income: 70L.

Cults: All (except Daka Fal, Eurmal and Waha).

Favoured passions: Devotion (deity) or Loyalty (priest) or Loyalty (temple).

Ransom: 500L.

Equipment: Writing implements and materials (within a wooden carrying case), instrument of choice, good religious clothing and paraphernalia, composite helmet (3 pts), Heavy leather (2 pts), leather vambraces (1 pt), cultural weapons, shield, one riding animal, finer clothing, 70L coin and 150L worth of personal goods.

Edited by dracopticon

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

9 minutes ago, dracopticon said:

I don't know if this has been proposed before, but I need an addition to the Priest occupation in my scenario, as I want the magic to be something you get gradually, as a process.

That's what the Priest occupation is. It's someone who is training for the priesthood, like Yanioth. She is created using the Priest occupation, but she isn't qualified yet.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

That's what the Priest occupation is. It's someone who is training for the priesthood, like Yanioth. She is created using the Priest occupation, but she isn't qualified yet.

But then the qualification is handled during character generation, and not during play? Or am I mistaken?

4 minutes ago, dracopticon said:

But then the qualification is handled during character generation, and not during play? Or am I mistaken?

The adventurer creation process will never result in a character who is actually qualified to become priest. That has to be done through play. Some people have managed to find ways to create adventurers who are already qualified for Rune Lord, but I think Priest is impossible.

And if that makes you think "well how do NPCs become priests", the Adventurer creation system is just that. It's for creating "Adventurers", not all Gloranthans.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

The adventurer creation process will never result in a character who is actually qualified to become priest. That has to be done through play. Some people have managed to find ways to create adventurers who are already qualified for Rune Lord, but I think Priest is impossible.

And if that makes you think "well how do NPCs become priests", the Adventurer creation system is just that. It's for creating "Adventurers", not all Gloranthans.

Well put my dear sir! Yes, I concur, the Adventurer creation system is meant to be just that in my book too. OK, this may change my stance on certain parts of this additional occupation. But I am not totally beyond including it though.

Edited by dracopticon
  • Like 1

Feel free to change things in character creation after discussion with Players and GM. I wanted an Earth Shamaness and Shaker Temple Librarian character, but made some changes, both to suit party and the adventures we were likely to play.

In the end I made a Babeesta Gor Temple Guardian who received the call to shamanhood in the last few years. She is mostly training her abilities in play. After playing the Broken Tower and GM Kit scenarios, she sees her place as a finder of lost earth places of power, and working to restore them to power. Every time she found a new place, she informed both her local Earth Priestesses, and the Shaker Temple.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I notice that your Assistant Priest is significantly under-skilled compared to most (all?) other occupations by about 70%. In the RQG book, every occupation has a couple of skills around the 30% mark, which are their main money earners.

Yes! You are totally right. I thought about the fact that the occupations probably all have about the same total points summary when taking in all the skills. So I was about to change it but had not gotten to it. I will compare the total worth of points from other occupations and heighten the moneymaking skills also.