Playing With Paper Miniatures

seneschal

I recently printed out the silhouette paper miniatures available in the downloads section as well as a Scooby Doo set found elsewhere on the web.  The Scooby figures are true 25mm but the Call of Cthulhu minis are around 35mm when they are in scale at all.  They look truly menacing beside Mystery, Inc.  The CoC set also includes a bunch of slinky feminine silhouettes that I didn’t think I had a use for at first.  Then my wife picked out her three favorite gun-toting babes.  Suddenly its Charlie’s Angels vs. The Mythos!

Immortal aliens vs. sexy detectives who can’t get their hair mussed no matter what dangers they face.  Its an even match.

• Like 4

"Charile's Angels versus the Mythos." Brilliant.

People who try to invalidate either the use or non-use of miniatures in gaming (or any other gaming habit) have an axe to grind. My friends and I bought CoC on release in '81 and used the paper miniatures. When Citadel's CoC figure line came out in '85 we used them too.

My group uses figs all the time and lately it's been printed ones too. In the end, use whatever works for you and your group. If you're having fun or you like doing it, that's all that matters. Have fun, then have some more fun.

• Like 1

I use a lot of paper minis these days, mostly because it is easier to find a printable mini or adapt an image to one than it is to find a cast, molded or printed mini that matches the character or monster, plus it's a lot cheaper to print a sheet on minis on photo paper, cardstock or DVD cover cardstock (most economical) than it is to but a bunch of solid minis. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.