creativehum

Rules Questions About HeroQuest: Glorantha

10 posts in this topic

I'm pulling together a booklet of the HeroQuest rules in an attempt to clean up the rules, typos, and needed clarifications and get the mechanics presented in as simple and straightforward manner as possible.

It dawns on me I'm going to probably have many questions as I go, so rather than keep adding new threads I'll start one thread and keep adding the questions.

First Question: The Resolution Point Table (p. 70)

On an errata thread Oracle wrote:

p.70 – (as well as other pages) there are references to the “Resolution Point Table.” On p. 70, the second table is labeled “Extended Contest Resolution Points.” After looking for the “Resolution Points Table” and not finding it, I realized that the “Extended Contest Resolution Points” might well be the Resolution Point Table. Is it? If so, I don’t think it should be labeled “Extended Contest Resolution Points” — because it is used for both Simple and Extended contests. Yes? It simply is the “Resolution Points Table” and spits out information for Group Simple Contests and Group Extended Contests. (That is, if I’m correct about the Table’s purpose!)

I had the same confusion, but I do believe that this is the Resolution Point Table.

However, I have a new confusion. The rules state that "winning side" gets the point value listed in the table. But what if the Target value for each side side is the same and there is a tie? Do no points get given out? Is there a tie breaking method for the table.

I apologize if these rules are already in the text. I have looked and cannot find them.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, creativehum said:

I had the same confusion, but I do believe that this is the Resolution Point Table.

Yes, it is used for both Group Simple and Extended Contests.

1 hour ago, creativehum said:

The rules state that "winning side" gets the point value listed in the table. But what if the Target value for each side side is the same and there is a tie? Do no points get given out? Is there a tie breaking method for the table.

No points are given out for a tie and the current totals remain the same.

There is no need to 'break' such a tie.  In an Extended Contest, you simply have another round and both sides roll again.

In a Group Simple Contest, a tie at an individual roll level has no impact on the final result.  For a tie at the group level, either the players can use a HP to boost the result and give themselves a Marginal Victory, or you as GM can determine what it means for the result to be a draw.

On page 74 discussing Extended Contests the rules state the the winner of an exchange accumulates Resolution Points and that the first side to reach 5 RPs wins. 

However, on page 78 onward, the rules for Group Extended Contests state RPs won by a character are scored against his opponent, and that first person in a conflict to accumulate 5 RPs loses. 

Clearly, it's a mistake and one need only pick one way or the other. So I'm hear asking if it matters which method one picks. (It's late and I'm tired and I assume either method will work just fine. But if one falls apart because people can switch opponents in a Group Extended Contest or something, I'd love to hear it.)

The example is incorrect. As I've said elsewhere on this site, it's on my list to rewrite correctly.

Hi David, 

Thanks so much for the reply. (And I'm sure many of the questions I'm asking have been covered elsewhere. I asked on another thread if a comprehensive list of corrections is posted anywhere and haven't been pointed to it yet.)

Could you tell me which phrasing is incorrect? Each phrasing is the text of the rules themselves. So are the rules about each side trying to accumulate the RPs? Or scoring RPs against the other side?

5 hours ago, creativehum said:

RPs won by a character are scored against his opponent, and that first person in a conflict to accumulate 5 RPs loses.

This is the correct phrasing.  As a player, you want to push your opponent to 5 or more RP's.

1 person likes this

Another question:

In Extended Contests, do Assists replace the method that one Hero can help another, or are both Assists and Augments available in Extended Contests?

If Assists do replace Augment in Extended contests, can a Hero still Augment himself?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, creativehum said:

In Extended Contests, do Assists replace the method that one Hero can help another, or are both Assists and Augments available in Extended Contests?

Assists are the method by which one player helps another.  Augments are the method by which a player helps her/himself.  You can only assist if you are not otherwise engaged.  Assists do not replace augments.

Example: Aren is fighting a Hell Hound.  He uses his Thane 1W as his base ability to fight and augments using his Fire keyword at 2W to create a flaming spear to drive back the foul beast.  The Hell Hound is a Very High Difficulty, so this will really tax Aren to defeat it.

The healer Sareranalda is watching the fight and realizes Aren needs help.  She casts her Heal Wounds at 1W upon him as an Assist with a Moderate difficulty. 

Note that successful Assists reduce the points against the target (i.e. if Aren has taken 3 points against him from the Hell Hound, and another Minor Defeat means losing the fight, then a minor victory by Sareranalda in her assist will remove 2 points from Aren's total, bringing him back to 1 in the fight).

Edited by jajagappa
1 person likes this