cautious optimism

Agentorange

Well I have to say that from the doom and gloom of a couple of weeks ago things definately seem to have taken a turn for the better for BRP. two new monographs in print: Aces High and Outpost 19 ( both of which I've ordered ) with several more in the pipeline. Some Chaosium books in the works ( as opposed to monographs if you see what I mean ) and at least one third party publication ( Rome ) heading into the home straits.

My only quibble amongst this welter of BRP goodness is that I'd like to see more products aimed at the shelves of bookshops and hobby stores, though my understanding from talking to others a couple of weeks ago is that monographs can be marketed in this fashion

I am currently pondering about finding distribution channels for physical books in Europe. The problem is that I am afraid that shops are experiences the hardship of the financial crisis and are shutting down. One of the points of sale where Stupor Mundi is available on the shelves recently turned into an "Internet only" shop. So, even if I agree about having more BRP on the shelves is a good thing, we must first determine whether this strategy is viable.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I know what you're saying, actually finding an outlet that will sell stuff at a financially viable price is always going to be a problem. In a small way we can all help by patronising our local hobby stores bookshops etc. I'm as guilty as everybody else here...after all i could have asked Orcs Nest:

Orcs Nest Online Roleplaying Games Shop

to order the two monographs I bought direct from Chaosium. I certainly don't think Chaosium should neglect PDF's, POD etc etc , they would be fools to do so as the technology is there to be used, but I also feel that the shop front has it's place. there's nothing that really compares ( in my mind anyway ) to rummaging through a shelf of supplements and thinking " hey now, that looks interesting "

That's how I started playing Runequest, like most folks I started on D'nD, one day I was in my local model/rpg shop and saw a copy of Snakepipe hollow, the old RQ2 version with bigclub the giant fighting the giant snake, bought it out of curiousity and the rest as they say is history

after all i could have asked Orcs Nest

These guys are pretty good actually. I've ordered stuff direct from them. But anything Chaosium that they don't have and I want I usually order direct from Chaosium. For me, whether you are in London or California doesn't make much difference, even though I'm probably no more than 80 miles from the Orcs Nest Shop. Its far enough that I will never go there so getting it from California is just as inconvienient.

But then I know what I want and how to get it. When this was all new to me browsing through my local hobby shops shelves was nirvana! Now, I don't even have a local hobby shop.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Well, I got my copy of BRP from my FLGS - Black Lion Games - and if anyone's ever in Edinburgh I suggest you check them out (google-map them first, though, they're kind of hard to find - not far from the beaten track but hidden away a bit). Having lived in the middle of nowhere for years it's great to have a game store I can visit whenever I like!

Well, I got my copy of BRP from my FLGS - Black Lion Games - and if anyone's ever in Edinburgh I suggest you check them out (google-map them first, though, they're kind of hard to find - not far from the beaten track but hidden away a bit). Having lived in the middle of nowhere for years it's great to have a game store I can visit whenever I like!

I have a small hobby store called Jet Pack Comics (and Games) thats only a 2 minute drive from my home in Rochester New Hampshire USA. The owner is great guy, gives me a 30% discount and places an order every monday that arrives every Thursday. Unfortunatly, I still buy more games than I will ever play, even with BRP. Games are my drug of choice.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Mea Culpa also....glances up at RPG laden bookshelves with a wry smile ;)

Its a common disease. I've been in the hobby for more than 30 years now, and I have immensely more games than I'll ever use. Even in the last few years when I've gotten more frugal, I still buy things that are just as likely to sit on the shelf and be admired after I read them--just less frequently than I used to.