Appendix of Round Table Knights

Thank you so much!

You're right about Carahes, the Ugly Brave, and Malduit. Not sure about Gornevain. The two names doesn't sound the same in french at all.

For Yder of the Dolorous Mount, he can not be the same character that Yder son of Nut. This Yder, son of Nut, is the first villain in the same Erec and Enide story who insulted the queen. He became a RKT after his defeat by the way. But tales and logic... Maybe he is the same legendary character after all, divided in two names.

For Gronosis, the mysterious son of Kay the Senechal, "well versed in evil", I found he could be Garanwyn,  the son of Kay mentionned in Culhwch and Olwen0

1 hour ago, Tizun Thane said:

Thank you so much!

You're right about Carahes, the Ugly Brave, and Malduit. Not sure about Gornevain. The two names doesn't sound the same in french at all.

For Yder of the Dolorous Mount, he can not be the same character that Yder son of Nut. This Yder, son of Nut, is the first villain in the same Erec and Enide story who insulted the queen. He became a RKT after his defeat by the way. But tales and logic... Maybe he is the same legendary character after all, divided in two names.

For Gronosis, the mysterious son of Kay the Senechal, "well versed in evil", I found he could be Garanwyn,  the son of Kay mentionned in Culhwch and Olwen0

Yder - like Brian of the Isles - appears on both sides, as an enemy and as an ally. Since he's the brother of Gwyn ap Nudd, perhaps we should not be surprised.

Strike that about Agravadain. Gornevain is Gorvain Cadrus (spelling varies).

Gronosis is a PC in my game. The names have a superficial resemblance, but I think it's more likely Gronosis is derived from the Welsh name Gronwy, (variants: Grono, Goronwy). Kay is related in some Welsh pedigrees to Gronwy Pebr, that is the ruler of Penllyn in the Mabinogi - the seducer/-ed of Blodeuwedd - and of course Cei Hir and his father were also rulers of Penllyn in Arthurian legend.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:57 PM, jeffjerwin said:

Gronosis is a PC in my game. The names have a superficial resemblance, but I think it's more likely Gronosis is derived from the Welsh name Gronwy,

Sounds very interesting. Did you portray Gronosis as an evil character, or as a character with knowledge about evil? How did you manage the relationship with Kay?

4 hours ago, Tizun Thane said:

Sounds very interesting. Did you portray Gronosis as an evil character, or as a character with knowledge about evil? How did you manage the relationship with Kay?

Gronosis in my game has a high intrigue and has some unpleasant Personality Traits (high Deceitful, high Suspicious). Kay is a demanding and sarcastic father, but is capable of love: he does love Arthur and loves Guinevere. It's a difficult but not hostile relationship.

8 hours ago, Tizun Thane said:

Your campaign sounds like a lot of fun!

Anyway, for a complete list of round table knights, I almost forgot the  list established by Malory for the healing  (book XIX, chapter XI).

Keep in mind that Malory accidentally resurrected quite a few people... But _at some point_ they must have all been RTKs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 4:14 AM, Tizun Thane said:

Your campaign sounds like a lot of fun!

Anyway, for a complete list of round table knights, I almost forgot the  list established by Malory for the healing  (book XIX, chapter XI).

Malory wrote that there were 150 round table knights total, but only ever named 127, not all of whom may have served at the same time. I've transcribed the list in the file here. Some names are clearly duplicates, some have different spellings than what the standard has become, and some are so obscured even a dedicated Arthurian might not recognize them (Erec, son of Lak, becoming Harry le Fise Lake). And, of course, this leaves 23 knights unnamed.

Malory's Round Table.rtf

3 hours ago, jmberry1s said:

And, of course, this leaves 23 knights unnamed.

More. Since not all the knights might have been on the round table at the same time (almost a given, since Pelinore and Lamorak both die before the Grail Quest), all we really know is who some of the knights are and that the table was only at a full complement once. Plenty of room for PKs and significant NPKs!  

But a Book of the Round Table with writeup es and background of some of the members would be nice.

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 8 months later...
On 9/12/2019 at 2:35 AM, Tizun Thane said:

The Youth with the Golden Ring, « Valet au Cercle d’Or », very mysterious character. Maybe the Hero of the Golden Cercle adventure in KAP ( !)

More or less, yes. Rereading Tournament of Dreams, the designer's notes for the "Adventure of the Circle of Gold" note that the inspiration came from reading the 15th century D'Armagnac Armorial, which has a lot of obscure names that happened to include a certain "Valet au Cercle d'Or" and also a "Sir Patrides au Cercle d'Or." It's suggested these and others were essentially made up to pad out lists of RTKs with lots of interesting and evocative names.

And given the trials you have to overcome to attain the Circle of Gold, the Glory that comes from getting and keeping it, and the fact that the only way given in the adventure for the king to be able to travel freely is for him to swear fealty to King Arthur, it certainly makes sense that you'd find a PK who managed to pull all of that off on the Round Table sooner rather than later.

• Like 1