Does Anyone Play the 7th Sea RPG?

ColoradoCthulhu

I did GM a couple of adventures for my group last year -- the books were so gorgeous I had to! They wanted to play pirates, however, so we were in the Atabean Sea the whole time (using the "Pirate Nations" sourcebook). It was quite fun, and I liked the resolution mechanics, the world, and the flavour of magic. The only problems we had were:

1) For a game called 7th Sea, I found that a lot of the published material actually focuses more on "3-musketeers"-type swashbuckling action, and less on nautical shenanigans. I was especially disappointed by the very vague naval battle rules, but thankfully there are some pretty well designed optional/house-rules available on DTRPG.

2) My players wanted to play, like, actual pirates, i.e. "bad guys" (or, at least proper scoundrels... not "scoundrels on a character arc of redemption"! That's bullshit! :) ). The rules assume you're playing the "good guys" ("Heroes"), so we also had to tweak the "Corruption" rules to let them have their plundering and pillaging fun. I got a copy of FATE's Scum & Villainy late in the game and I tried to adapt their rules for "Consequences" to replace the "Corruption" ones, but we didn't quite get to test them out (FYI, those rules basically codify a bit how doing bad things attract worse things onto you... something I can do somewhat instinctively as a GM, but I thought it might also be fun to put a couple numbers and dice rolls on it).

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 8/29/2019 at 11:16 PM, ColoradoCthulhu said:

Joking, of course. However, there are almost no posts in this sub-forum. I am wondering how active this game is for Chaosium.

This forum is brand new for Chaosium.

I doubt many of the 7ths Sea players even know it exists.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2019 at 6:50 PM, lordabdul said:

I did GM a couple of adventures for my group last year -- the books were so gorgeous I had to! They wanted to play pirates, however, so we were in the Atabean Sea the whole time (using the "Pirate Nations" sourcebook). It was quite fun, and I liked the resolution mechanics, the world, and the flavour of magic. The only problems we had were:

1) For a game called 7th Sea, I found that a lot of the published material actually focuses more on "3-musketeers"-type swashbuckling action, and less on nautical shenanigans. I was especially disappointed by the very vague naval battle rules, but thankfully there are some pretty well designed optional/house-rules available on DTRPG.

2) My players wanted to play, like, actual pirates, i.e. "bad guys" (or, at least proper scoundrels... not "scoundrels on a character arc of redemption"! That's bullshit! :) ). The rules assume you're playing the "good guys" ("Heroes"), so we also had to tweak the "Corruption" rules to let them have their plundering and pillaging fun. I got a copy of FATE's Scum & Villainy late in the game and I tried to adapt their rules for "Consequences" to replace the "Corruption" ones, but we didn't quite get to test them out (FYI, those rules basically codify a bit how doing bad things attract worse things onto you... something I can do somewhat instinctively as a GM, but I thought it might also be fun to put a couple numbers and dice rolls on it).

Yeah.
I'd love to see what you did with the Corruption replacement.

Søren A. Hjorth
- Freelancer Writer, Cultural Distributer, Font of Less Than Useless Knowledge
https://thenarrativeexploration.wordpress.com/