What Are You Doing for WeAreAllUs: HQG?

Shawn Carpenter

I'm just curious what kind of stories other Heroquest aficionados will be telling during the celebration of Greg Stafford's life and works. I'll be running two HQ:G games that week, one for my wife and kids which will involve their Balazaring characters accompanying Joh Mith on his trade route through Dragon Pass in 1615 and one for my online game which sees their Anmangarn clansfolk on a dangerous mission to bring their stricken chief's heir back from Whitewall. I'm looking forward to both of them and sending warm thoughts out to Greg in thanks for all the fun and inspiration he's gifted me with over the years!

What are you folks up to? Feel free to be vague, as I was. I know there are players on the forum, too, with their prying little eyes and nosey little noses! ;)

• Like 2

My monthly game takes place in Kralorela, and the characters are still feeling the fallout from their defeat of Xurng, a greater ghoul engaged in child trafficking and some sort of antidragon machination. Forces pull the heroes in more than one direction and turn to Master Imolo Wen for guidance. Building upon Greg's insightful, inspiring work is a great delight for all involved. October 27 and more shenanigans can't arrive soon enough. We Are All Us!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Shawn Carpenter said:

What are you folks up to? Feel free to be vague, as I was. I know there are players on the forum, too, with their prying little eyes and nosey little noses! ;)

I know your passwords, hon. If I want to know what you're doing I don't need to see it here. ;) Also, thanks so much for saddling us with a prince. Ugh. 

Edited by Minion1stClass
  • Haha 1

Inactive account.

My group has one HeroQuest Date in the time frame and will play the third session in our "eleven lights" campaign. We´re all new to the game, but I want to tell my players about Greg while we´re at it. I also will read the new "Highwall Inn" adventure attentively and if I like it, maybe I´ll run it at a con... but this will be after october 2019.

• Like 2

Weekly Symbaroum game, although I did start reading the new Runequest rules book when I learned about this exercise and thought it could be fun to do something in Glorantha and then I saw the pre-made PC’. My head started to swim looking at all those stats and abilities and powers. My enthusiasm waned at the learning curve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aprewett said:

Weekly Symbaroum game, although I did start reading the new Runequest rules book when I learned about this exercise and thought it could be fun to do something in Glorantha and then I saw the pre-made PC’. My head started to swim looking at all those stats and abilities and powers. My enthusiasm waned at the learning curve.

I played RQ up through RQ3, so the learning curve for RQ:G isn't all that steep. As I've gotten older, though, I've gravitated towards more abstract games. When I was writing wargames I described this as "outcome based" rather than "process based" rules. HeroQuest is, in the designer's own words, about overcoming story obstacles, not the myriad tasks involved in doing so. That appeals to me, so I'm using HeroQuest rather than RuneQuest to share Glorantha with my players. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shawn Carpenter said:

I played RQ up through RQ3, so the learning curve for RQ:G isn't all that steep. As I've gotten older, though, I've gravitated towards more abstract games. When I was writing wargames I described this as "outcome based" rather than "process based" rules. HeroQuest is, in the designer's own words, about overcoming story obstacles, not the myriad tasks involved in doing so. That appeals to me, so I'm using HeroQuest rather than RuneQuest to share Glorantha with my players. 

i too prefer outcome, but I'd like a hair more crunch than HQ, so I'm ruminating over what to use!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

i too prefer outcome, but I'd like a hair more crunch than HQ, so I'm ruminating over what to use!

Finding the right balance of narrative free-form and crunch is tough. There are times when something like Prince Valiant is fine and other times where I'd rather have something closer to Mutants & Masterminds. HeroQuest falls somewhere in the middle for me right now.

Edited by Shawn Carpenter
Hit Enter too soon like a NOOB!