The Missing God

Martin

Does anyone care to speculate on which deity was the "Missing God"?

"In the fortress Lord Kimantor courageously fought his way into the temple of the missing god. He took the clothes and weapons of the missing god and tried them on. They fit perfectly. He got allies and friends, and after great preparations he led them against the enemy. He was called Lord Victory Nightbrother."

The source is Esrolia: Land of 10k Goddesses, and the "fortress" being referred to here is the Shadow Plateau (at least according to whoever is annotating the text, whether it be an in-universe commentator or an out-of-universe one).

Based on that my assumption is that it most likely is an Uz deity.

Norinel, Kimantor's wife and Queen of Nochet, also reigned during the Great Darkness, which means that a lot (if not most) gods were missing during this period.

What I'm not certain about, however, is to what degree any Uz deities went missing (ie. went to the Underworld or were otherwise incapacitated or possibly even killed by Chaos) during the Greater Darkness. The Uz generally fared pretty well during this period, compared to everyone else.

Kimantor is claimed to either be a son of (iirc) or an incarnation of the Only Old One. The OOO is a son of Esrolia and Argan Argar, although the Shadow Plateau was itself built by Lodril/Veskarthan.

So, here's my initial guesses:
1. The Missing God was Argan Argar, and the armor fit Kimantor because he is the son/grandson of AA.
2. The missing god was Veskarthan, who was silent and broken, and the armor fit Kimantor because they are both tied to the Shadow Plateau. (The more I think about this, the less I think it's likely, to be honest. It doesn't fit thematically with anything in the story either.)

At last I want to mention the possibility that it's simply a metaphor. Kimantor got the "clothes and weapons" in the sense that he assumed control over the powers of Shadow and Night. This, however, still doesn't quite answer who the missing god is, though it does heavily hint towards some kind of Darkness deity, Uz or otherwise.

Here's an unlikely but random thought: given that OOO/Kimantor was replacing the male ancestral line of the pre-Esrolians, could it have been their male ancestral temple? Kimantor was ritually replacing the role of Storm with that of Darkness.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Martin said:

Does anyone care to speculate on which deity was the "Missing God"?

"In the fortress Lord Kimantor courageously fought his way into the temple of the missing god. He took the clothes and weapons of the missing god and tried them on. They fit perfectly. He got allies and friends, and after great preparations he led them against the enemy. He was called Lord Victory Nightbrother."

Kargan Tor who had abandoned his post.

• Like 3

Just had a chance to look over the myth.  The missing god is uncapitalized which means it's not a title but refers to a god already mentioned.  Earlier Kimantor calls upon the War Lord who surrounds him with his powers and defeats his enemies.  Then one time the War Lord does not come and so Kimator goes to his temple in the Shadow Plateau.  

• Like 2