Mythic Western Heroes

Skunkape

K,

I picked up the final release of BRP and Aces High now that it's available, but what I'm curious about now is, has anyone considered working out stats for the various heroes of American history, both real and from lore?

I haven't finished reading through Aces High, but am seriously considering running my western campaign using BRP instead of Savage Worlds Deadlands. While I like some of the elements of Deadlands, I really would prefer using BRP.

So anyone thinking about creating those characters as NPCs?

Oh and since I do have the final BRP rules, I am going to try and move forward with the online character sheet I had planned on creating. Now I just need the time to do it!:D

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Hi Skunk, I've been looking and thinking about exactly what you are asking about. Watch this space (but don't hold your breath).

I sometimes wonder if I missed out on something by never looking at Deadlands. It seems to come up quite a lot. But despite being into westerns for a long time, Deadlands just never appealed to me.

So welcome to Aces High. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

K,

I picked up the final release of BRP and Aces High now that it's available, but what I'm curious about now is, has anyone considered working out stats for the various heroes of American history, both real and from lore?

I haven't finished reading through Aces High, but am seriously considering running my western campaign using BRP instead of Savage Worlds Deadlands. While I like some of the elements of Deadlands, I really would prefer using BRP.

So anyone thinking about creating those characters as NPCs?

Oh and since I do have the final BRP rules, I am going to try and move forward with the online character sheet I had planned on creating. Now I just need the time to do it!:D

Years ago there was a couple of articles in Dragon magazine that stated out these legends of the west for Boot Hill. Latter, this was converted to Boot Hill 3rd edition.

It would be fairly easy to convert those stats to BRP and get a pretty decent base to start from.

I recently did something like this for a NPC I wanted for a "Space Western" setting in a different RPG.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Watch this space (but don't hold your breath).

That I completely understand!:D

Years ago there was a couple of articles in Dragon magazine that stated out these legends of the west for Boot Hill. Latter, this was converted to Boot Hill 3rd edition.

It would be fairly easy to convert those stats to BRP and get a pretty decent base to start from.

I recently did something like this for a NPC I wanted for a "Space Western" setting in a different RPG.

Don't supposed you remember what issue of the Dragon that was in? Or even if there's some way to get a hold of the info?

Edited by Skunkape

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

However, I'd suggest scrounging a copy of 3rd edition Boot Hill instead. The info was reprinted, in 3rd edition format, which is far easier to translate into BRP terms than 1st Edition. II got 3rd edition Boot Hill, too, so if there was someone in particular you'd like to see stats for I could look them up.

Thanks for mentioning that, I'll have to pick up a copy of that version of Boot Hill, provided I can run across one.

Oh and I appreciate the offer to look up people, but I think I'll try and get a copy first so I can see what they've done and get a good template for other uses.

If you can get a hold of Sidewinder: Recoiled for cheep, it's an excellent resource for what you're thinking of doing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to investigate that!

Off to eBay!:D

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

...Off to eBay!:D
I ran a Boot Hill one-off adventure last fall, and bought the books on ebay for it. Boot Hill is spotty on ebay--sometimes there is a lot of material, other times there's very little and it's expensive. If you get stuck, and are in the U.S., I'd be happy to lend you my copy (provided you make an oath to Cthulhu that you'll send it back when you're done!)

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I ran a Boot Hill one-off adventure last fall, and bought the books on ebay for it. Boot Hill is spotty on ebay--sometimes there is a lot of material, other times there's very little and it's expensive. If you get stuck, and are in the U.S., I'd be happy to lend you my copy (provided you make an oath to Cthulhu that you'll send it back when you're done!)

I'm guessing yours is 3rd edition?

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

I found a couple of copies, I think both 2nd and 3rd. I'd have to brave the basement and find them to give you a definitive answer.

If we don't hear from you in a week, we'll send out a search party!:D

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

The Mythic Heroes in Boot Hill, were only given basic stats and put in a 2-3 page table, rather than full detailed writeups. Generally listed as:

Str Coo Obs Sta Luc Weapon Skill Fast Draw

Str= Str (could use for STR, CON and possible SIZ in BRP)

Coo= Coodnation (Use for DEX)

Obs= Observation

Sta= Stature (How imposingsomeone is. POssibly used for SIZ with Str and maybe with LUC for POW)

Luc= Luck.

Stats were on a 1-20 scale, except Stature (which was halved for starting characters, since they hadnm't done much yet) and Luck (also halved).

To convert to BRP, Subtract 1 for the score if 13+ and 2 if 16+

Skills were on the same scale as stats, except for combat skills. You could simply mutiply the skill by 5% to get a decent BRP value. Not that they gave these character full skill listings.

Combat Skills were on an scale with a 7 being about the same as a 20 or 21. To convert to BRP, multiply by 10-15% and add to the base chance. This will give the best gunfighters (skill 9) a cap of around 150%.

If all you want are the stats for the mythic and historical characters let me know.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.