Sad news about The One Ring RPG

Dagonet

2 hours ago, Dagonet said:

Cubicle 7 is ceasing publication of The One Ring. From Cubicle 7 Games: UNEXPECTED TOR2 UPDATE

Being from the days when all geeks (remember when we used to be uncool) would band together—hell we were so magnanimous back in the day some few of us would actually acknowledge that dnd might actually be role-playing—and give a united face against the non-believers it still makes me sad when one of ours goes down.

• Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 11/27/2019 at 10:42 AM, Dagonet said:

Cubicle 7 is ceasing publication of The One Ring. From Cubicle 7 Games: UNEXPECTED TOR2 UPDATE

This is a real shame.  TOR has a number of Pendragon-inspired game mechanics, and is one of my favourite games. A second edition was forthcoming, and looked great from the previews.  At least I have all the first ed stuff to enjoy...

I had pre-ordered the 2e collector's edition. Sadly, I don't have the 1e books, and they're out of print now so I can't use my C7 store credit to pick them up either. I have the 1e pdf's, but that's just not the same. The main reason I was getting the 2e book was to have a physical book. Sigh.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tobarstep said:

I had pre-ordered the 2e collector's edition. Sadly, I don't have the 1e books, and they're out of print now so I can't use my C7 store credit to pick them up either. I have the 1e pdf's, but that's just not the same. The main reason I was getting the 2e book was to have a physical book. Sigh.

I collected the physical books over the last two years.  I feel lucky to have done so now.

Soooooo... (running up to confess my complete ignorance on the subject at hand) ... Cubicle 7 didn’t hold the LOTR RPG license itself in the first place? It was my understanding that a license holder (Tolkien/Middle Earth Enterprises of the Saul Zaentz fold) gives a license to a licensee on the grounds that said licensee does something immediate with it, like, produce a game. What was C7’s role in this? I always was under the impression that they are more than just publishers or distributors, because TOR and the buzz around the upcoming TOR2 always seemed to happen exclusively with C7. I had no idea that a third party, which is the actual licensee to boot, was involved. Is that even legal? (last question is tongue-in-cheek, because obviously the arrangement existed, and a LOTR license is nothing to be trifled with)

What the balrog is going on?

3 hours ago, foolcat said:

Soooooo... (running up to confess my complete ignorance on the subject at hand) ... Cubicle 7 didn’t hold the LOTR RPG license itself in the first place? It was my understanding that a license holder (Tolkien/Middle Earth Enterprises of the Saul Zaentz fold) gives a license to a licensee on the grounds that said licensee does something immediate with it, like, produce a game. What was C7’s role in this? I always was under the impression that they are more than just publishers or distributors, because TOR and the buzz around the upcoming TOR2 always seemed to happen exclusively with C7. I had no idea that a third party, which is the actual licensee to boot, was involved. Is that even legal? (last question is tongue-in-cheek, because obviously the arrangement existed, and a LOTR license is nothing to be trifled with)

What the balrog is going on?

Wikipedia states that "Sophisticated Games" holds the license to create Middle Earth "board games."

Wikipedia also states that C7's 2011 TOR was produced "in collaboration with" Sophisticated Games.

(this strikes me as not the sort of content likely to be wiki-warred , sabotaged, or just written in ignorance; so more likely correct than not; but as with all things Wikipedia, grains of salt are mandatory)

C7 states they were unable to agree on new licensing terms with Sophisticated games.

Does this clarify your balrog?

Also:  balrog --  FLEE, you FOOLS!

C'es ne pas un .sig