Augmenting abilities

allenowen

The text on pg 144, in bold, under augmenting abilities has been clarified I think, but does it mean that I can only use one ability to augment another ability once per session?

To use the example in the Q&A, if I am fighting in a flooded tomb with water at chest level and I use Swim to augment my spear skill, and that battle is over, I can't use another ability to augment another skill the rest of the session? Or does that mean I can't use Swim to augment Spear in another battle later in the session, say now we've left the tomb ,and we are attacked by broo in a chest deep river?

The second. You cannot use Swim to augment Spear (or, if I'm not wrong, any other ability) in the same session again. But depending on the success level and/or the judgement of the GM the augment may last longer than just the initial Spear fight ...

That's at least, how I understood the rules so far ...

Edited by Oracle

I do not think so:

Only one augment may be attempted per ability, and an ability can only be used once per session to augment a task being attempted.

(Runequest - Roleplaying in Glorantha, p.144, bottom of right column)

So per session you can:

• augment a specific ability once only
  • using an ability for augmenting a task once only

Related to this, suppose you tried to use a Rune to augment an ability ,and you fumble your Rune roll. What penalty to you take to the ability augmented?

For example, I'm using Air to augment Broadsword, and I fumble the Air roll. What penalty to the Broadsword skill is applied? Do I take the -10% to the Broadsword skill, in addition to the -1d10% to the Rune?

Edited by allenowen

46 minutes ago, allenowen said:

Related to this, suppose you tried to use a Rune to augment an ability ,and you fumble your Rune roll. What penalty to you take to the ability augmented?

For example, I'm using Air to augment Broadsword, and I fumble the Air roll. What penalty to the Broadsword skill is applied? Do I take the -10% to the Broadsword skill, in addition to the -1d10% to the Rune?

-50% to Broadsword, -1D10% to your Air/Storm Rune rating, and Psychic Turmoil on top of that (which probably forces you to avoid feats of strength, violence, shouting and sword use for a while).

The effects of augmenting using an appropriate Rune as your inspiration are the same as for any other augment, pass or fail: RQG p.145.

2F8E227F-7D88-408F-927A-B60E980BFAD2.jpeg

Edited by Nick Brooke

ok. I got it,  I think. I was watching Jason Durall running a scenario for Encounter Roleplay. One of the players wanted to use a Rune to augment an ability, and was told that since he had already used a Rune to augment an ability earlier, he could not. So he used a Passion instead, which was allowed. He failed, and was able to try again with the same Passion later in the encounter, since the first attempt failed..

So this is what I have gathered:

You can use a skill to augment a skill once per session.

You can use a Rune to augment a skill once per session, and

you can use a Passion to augment a skill once per session.

If the attempt to draw inspiration from a skill, Rune or Passion fails, you can still try again with another skill test later

n.b. to use a "Passion," the object of the Passion needs to be relevant to the situation somehow.  If you're an Orlanthi just along to help your bud the Praxian Shaman (cos your bud helped YOU last season), your "Love:Boldhome" you feel for your home-city isn't going to be terribly useful in tracking some rival Impala riders through Morokanth territory...

C'es ne pas un .sig