[RuneQuest Classic] whats the 2D6+6 species maximum???

icebrand

Hi! Long time RQ3 GM, just about to start GMing an RQ classic game :)

I tried to google/search rules but if i'm correct a 2D6+6 characteristic roll would have a maximum of 18 (maximum rolled) +2 (number of dice) = 20, vs a 21 max with 3D6. Unless i'm mistaken and the +6 counts as a +1 ? if so, a +10 would still be a +1 or a +2? 

For example, is a duck's maximum STR (2d6+1) 15 or 16?

Hope someone can clarify!

Cheers,

Alex

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

Guest Vile Traveller

Hey icebrand, long time no see! 😄

6 hours ago, icebrand said:

I tried to google/search rules but if I'm correct a 2D6+6 characteristic roll would have a maximum of 18 (maximum rolled) +2 (number of dice) = 20, vs a 21 max with 3D6. Unless I'm mistaken and the +6 counts as a +1 ? If so, a +10 would still be a +1 or a +2? 

RQ2 species maximum is (maximum rolled) + (number of dice) + (1 for any add no matter how high). The rule is on p. 73 at the start of the Monsters chapter:

Species maximum amongst the various races portrayed is the maximum dice roll plus number of dice, as with humans. If the characteristic concerned has an add, such as 2D6+6, the remaining addition is considered to be one die. Thus, a characteristic of 3D6+3 has a species maximum of 21+4 or 25. This also applies to additions of 12 or 18 or 24. They all count as one additional die.

So 2D6+6 gives a species maximum of (2+18+1) 21, 2D6+1 is (2+13+1) 16,  2D6+12 is (2+24+1) 27, and so forth.

EDIT: I don't know what you mean about "Ducks". I looked through all my RQ2 and RQ3 books, and everywhere it says "Duck Goblin". 😈

Edited by Vile

30 minutes ago, Vile said:

Hey icebrand, long time no see! 😄

Indeed! Whats up Vile?

31 minutes ago, Vile said:

RQ2 species maximum is (maximum rolled) + (number of dice) + (1 for any add no matter how high). The rule is on p. 73 at the start of the Monsters chapter:

much obliged!

EDIT: I don't know what you mean about "Ducks". I looked through all my RQ2 and RQ3 books, and everywhere it says "Duck Goblin". 😈

Do you know why ducks go humakti? *NO ONE ELSE WILL TAKE THEM* (drumroll)

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

(2+13+1) 16,  2D6+12 is (2+24+1) 27, and so forth.

Ducks are Hobbits, surely? Merry did help kill the Witch-King, after all. So they're a gleefully twisted exercise in taking a Hobbit, putting chips on both shoulders, and a colossal persecution complex to boot. Derail over. 

Guest Vile Traveller
Just now, 21stCenturyMoose said:

Ducks are Hobbits, surely?  Derail over. 

I thought so until RQ3 came out, and they had Halflings in the Monster book (where they belong). The derail is over when it's over!

Officially it's an additional +1 to the max for having a flat plus. I've always used +1-per-6-or-fraction-thereof, so 1D6+12, 2D6+6, and 3D6 all have the same species maximum.

*Edit* Just seen that this has "Classic" in the title. Not sure what the official rule is in Classic.

Edited by PhilHibbs

19 hours ago, icebrand said:

... Do you know why ducks go humakti?

It's the Gloranthan accent.

In English, we say "quack.". In French it's "coin."

In Glorantha, it's "humaaakt"

• Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig