Any further news on Fractured Hopes ?

Agentorange

Last I heard, it was still in the pipe. There were a number of other projects that Chaosium wanted to get done before focusing on it, and, to the best of my limited knowledge, all of those projects have been released.

I suspect it's in layout right now, though i haven't heard from Dustin to be sure.

I'll check and see what they deal is.

Amazon.com: The Shattered World (9780671559519): Michael Reaves: Books

It's got mixed reviews, but I have to say that I rather enjoyed it ( and the sequel )

I remember that book for two things:

1) Even when I was around 15, the notion of a bear shapeshifter named Beorn seemed a terrible, terrible idea.

2) Isn't there a scene where the protagonist... um... pleasures himself thinking about some female sorceress? I don't know if I found it objectionable--any teenage male reader shocked by such behavior is likely an alien or hypocrite--but I remember thinking "I don't believe I just read that!"

1) Even when I was around 15, the notion of a bear shapeshifter named Beorn seemed a terrible, terrible idea.

2) Isn't there a scene where the protagonist... um... pleasures himself thinking about some female sorceress? I don't know if I found it objectionable--any teenage male reader shocked by such behavior is likely an alien or hypocrite--but I remember thinking "I don't believe I just read that!"

Yeah, Beorn does seem a bit of a cliche name wise, but at the time it didn't bother me. I can't remember the other bit you refer to......I might have to dig the book out of the boxes in the loft and re-read it now. :lol:

I do remember being rather taken by the idea of the shattered world and some other bits stuck in my mind, for example:

The ensorcereled ( mmmm....spelling ) stairway to the caverns beneath the main castle.

The fact that the main characters were flawed and not the goody goody heroes of so much heroic fantasy.

It had it's faults but I liked it.

While I have no control over the nature of characters created for Fractured Hopes, I can categorically deny the presence of any self-pleasuring rules, either implied or overt.:D

I'd just like to quote Simon Phipp's #1 rule for BRP: "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP"

Oh, you can do it; I just don't have any rules for it.

Besides, if, by some strange quirk of fate, it does become important enough for the game, you can always measure time, duration, etc., with a Stamina Roll. Or maybe Effort.:D

Unicorn rider HeroQuests... :innocent:

What? :innocent: It was a dream, right. I sometimes dream about Glorantha and occasionally dream HeroQuests, like everyone else I assume.

But back to Realism Rule # 1, you could have a skill for Self Pleasure, or Pleasure (Person) to generalise it slightly, so you could have Pleasure (Self), Pleasure (Other). Fumbles would have to be at the discretion of the GM or played through with the GM and Player. Success in the skill would be deemed to have brought pleasure, specials or criticals would bring pleasure quickly, efficiently or perhaps more intensely. Failures may well mean that pleasure was not achieved, took a long time or whatever. Fumbling is, of course, possible. Examples could include self-injury, embarrassing stains or being discovered.

By the way, we are talking about things like eating chocolate, watching sport on TV or watching Sci Fi on TV while the wife is out, aren't we?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here