Malleus Monstrorum - Corrections Thread

Mike M

Not sure if it's an error or just a change, but a Gnoph-Keh (pg.73 in the new book) used to be able to perform one horn-gore and up to four claw attacks (see pg.44 of the old Malleus), but it now says five claws or one horn-gore.

20 hours ago, Danial said:

Not sure if it's an error or just a change, but a Gnoph-Keh (pg.73 in the new book) used to be able to perform one horn-gore and up to four claw attacks (see pg.44 of the old Malleus), but it now says five claws or one horn-gore.

Maybe it should count like this: four claw attacks, one body bash, adding up to five attacks per round.

The problem is that, almost all monsters are able to perform body bash, thus all monsters should have one more move (bash) per round, which obviously is not what the rule wants.

Edited by Meow

On pg.43, in the G'harne box, the first sentence ends with, "...and their god Shudde-M’ell,." A comma has snuck in there before the full stop.

In the same box, there is a line that reads, "...lead down into the city, which while entombed is still partially navigable." While I'm not 100% up on my punctuation rules, I believe there should be commas on each side of "while entombed", so that it reads, "...lead down into the city, which, while entombed, is still partially navigable."

Further down, a line reads, "...and are devoted the god that lives below them." This needs a "to" before "the god".

Edited by Danial

More of a question than an error per se, but are the Spawn of Abhoth (pg.32) meant to have 100% attack chance? It seems unusual for a creature that is meant to flop and flounder about. The only other monster in Volume 1 that has 100% is the Black Dogs (pg.172).

I was just comparing the old and new Unspeakable Possessors/Adherents of the Unspeakable Oath, and noticed two big differences that may have been overlooked (or may have been intentional). The first is that the creature drains hit-points when it feeds, which it then absorbs into its own STR and SIZ. I feel this should now be x5, because dividing an average of 5 points among the two stats is pretty trivial otherwise. This leads into a similar issue, which is the damage the creature takes once the sun rises. It was previously 1D20 from STR and SIZ, which meant it could potentially die in a day or two if it failed to feed, whereas it's now 2D10, which is a similar roll, though because the stats are x5, it means it could survive an average of 9 days (with a minimum of 5). Again, this makes its need to feed quite trivial (in my opinion), if it can survive over a week without even needing to. If these are intentional changes, then I apologise for wasting your time, but I thought I should still bring them to your attention in the chance that they weren't.

Edited by Danial

Volume 1 again:  On Page 86, in the Dance of Death power, a range is given in yard/meters rather than yards/meters.

And on page 87, the opening description of the K'n-yanians has this sentence:  "Unlike humans, their ears had long lobes, and the tops of were flat rather than curved."

VOLUME 1:

Page 93:  The Martense Kin appearance sections says, "Unwholesome descendants a once great family."

VOLUME 2:

Page 124:  Five lines up from the bottom right, there's the word "identify," which looks like it should be "identity."

Page 128:  In M'Geluloc's physical stat block, its attacks per round entry is incomplete.

Page 129:  Under Mh'ithrha's cult, there's "with each believing to the superior of the other."
Also, under Blessings (for hyper sight), there's "grants the ability to see all flour dimensions."

Page 145:  The deadly touch description has:  "may cause injuring by touching the flesh"
The possession description has:  "most willing accept this"

Page 147:  The first sentence of the Bloated Woman description has "black fan, which combined with magic created the illusion" - everything else in the paragraph is in the present tense.

Page 149:  The Green Man profile repeats the Bloated Woman's version of what happens when it hits 0 hit points (although everything else seems to be right).

Page 167:  The first sentence on the page starts with "Most encounters are likely through contact with a lone "practitioner or group Human, ghoul, or otherwise)"

Volume I:

Page 131

Main entry of Star Vampire

"If the correcting binding is known, they may be controlled to serve;"

"Correcting" should be correct or corresponding

Volume II:

Page 116

Main entry of IOD

"The deity is mentioned Prinn's De Vermiis Mysteriis as a dangerous entity with insatiable hunger,"

should insert an "in" after mentioned.

Page 117, In the right sidebar

Paralysis 

(magical wards or forms or protection may reduce the difficulty of this roll)

might should be "magical wards or other forms of protection" 

Lifeforce Drain 

"once paralyzed, a victim mat be drained"

mat should be may or might,

"Alien technology or magic may allow the brain to be removed and placed in another host body, although this is not with its own risks."

Should be not without instead of not with.

Page 124

Main Entry of Lilith

"Certainly, such human contact has worked to effectively mask Lilith's true from and identify from human perception."

"true from" => "true form"

Page 148

"The Horned One may appear without horns (and may be addressed as the Dark One), and appear more akin to the Black Pharaoh, but dressed as a 17th-century highway or traveling man or woman, or dressed in a modern suit)."

Should have one more or one less parenthesis.

Page 150

Combat statistics of The Horned One

It says that the avatar can use a "death touch" attack

Attacks per round:1 (unarmed, weapon, horn gore, death touch)

but the death touch is never mentioned elsewhere in the book.

Volume II:
Page 54, Sidebar
Scoop (mnvr): each round 1D4 investigators or other humans are scooped up by Cthulhu's flabby claws or face tentacles to die hideously. 
Scoop (mnvr) 100% (50/20), damage 1D3 people killed
So 1D4 or 1D3? (btw its 1d3 as per core rules)

Page 57, sidebar
"Attacks per round"
Should add a "N/A" after that.

Page 20 & 174
Pharol is a GOO in the catagory list, but LOO & UE in his own entry.

Edited by Meow

Not a correction but a suggestion.

It would be nice if we could have pronunciations next to their names. Anyways other than that I have nothing so far! I'm still reading through the book and will post anything I find if it's not already posted here.

Awesome work Chaosium!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Meow said:

Don't know if it's meant like that, but Pharol is the only Lessor Old One without "If reduced to zero hit point…" in Armor section.

Yes, I purposely left that out, as I was inclining Pharol to be a unique entity that 'could' be killed.

Volume II
Page 154: PROFILE: AHTU:
77ef26c8ca3cd080.jpg.a13eab6af95da88541bacfaa185c9996.jpg
f should be if

Page 156: PROFILE: THE BLACK WIND:
-6ae1300eb2e1f5e.png.45c0e697431fe5131f90e3a943c9c91c.png
Should be "would prevent death and halve the daily CON loss."

Page 160: PROFILE: KRUSCHTYA EQUATION:
-66e611f7843dad6c.jpg.da51c2f75ecafeb0567728d9d62851d4.jpg
should add a right parenthesis

Hey I previously left a comment mentioning it would be nice to have their pronunciation next to their names. I just wanted to say that I stumbled upon the page where I can find all the pronunciations! That's SO helpful, thanks for having that in the book guys I'm sorry I didn't notice it previously, I was still working my way through them!

• Like 1

Not really, the players should ideally be the ones making skill rolls - i.e Stealth rolls to avoid detection. Monster skills tend to highlight particular traits, or where a skill is significant, and much depends on the type of monster in terms of their narrative capabilities. See page 28 of Volume 1 about monster skills - and gives guidance on physical and common skills and average ranges. 

Edited by Mike M

Volume II

Page 240 - Column 2

Ythogtha.png.53a22f6dff06cb5aa2c3d42ceed854a3.png

spells missing

Page 241 -  left sidebar

Ythogtha-2.png.fabaa7cf0eafbee892f15f610b73e258.png

since regular sanity loss is 2D4/2D10, it should be 4D4/4D10 when doubled.

P244 - left sidebar

Zathog(sidebar).png.f925f013a4f44ad87c3508a966f4b23d.png

should be Zathog instead

Page 241 - column 2

Zathog.png.a6d886f175db811640ac70ef71dc1929.png

Zathog here is both mindless and intelligent. 

• 2 weeks later...