Malestrom Domesday Like System

Archivist

I don't know the Maelstrom Domesday system, but a quick check suggests it's VERY BRP-like (to the extent that I expect the game-dev's basically re-implemented the core BRP engine in their own language, before beginning their own elaborations/variations).  Maybe there's someone here who knows the system well, and can speak up...?

Anyhow... RE the RD100 engine, we DO have a local expert!  Paging @RosenMcStern... white courtesy telephone!

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

I don't know the Maelstrom Domesday system, but a quick check suggests it's VERY BRP-like (to the extent that I expect the game-dev's basically re-implemented the core BRP engine in their own language, before beginning their own elaborations/variations).  Maybe there's someone here who knows the system well, and can speak up...?

Not quite.

The original Maelstrom was written by an English school boy. Whether he was influenced by RuneQuest or other d100 I could not say for sure.

The mechanics are however (in the main) a really elegant use of d100 and are really stripped down.

The original setting was Elizabethan (I not II) which made it stand out, the herbalism section is comprehensive and the Magick (using the Maelstrom of the title) has the genesis of a brilliant idea (Magickers affect/effect reality and how hard it is to cast a spell depends on how likely the event is; thief running away from you over slippery cobbles? It's easy to make them fall over. You want to conjure a raging ball of flame from thin air? That's going to be very hard to remember the exact words of the spell and take multiple Will rolls to pull off).

I agree with the love shown for RD100 too, again some really clever and elegant rules.

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Thanks for the kind words. But I doubt Archivist needs my support to understand the subtleties of Revolution D100. I do not know Maelstrom Domesday but the description sounds nice. It seems it has a list of 30something abilities and 30something career/backgrounds, so not terribly small in terms of variations.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM