The King Arthur Pendragon Kickstarter -- A Quixotic Request

From the podcast @sirlarkins did, I understand Chaosium is going to do a Kickstarter for a reprint of King Arthur Pendragon 1st edition.

This seems so strange. I understand Chaosium is comparing it to the RQ 2nd edition they did, which was very successful and I see why they are making the comparison.

But RQ2 is and was playable as it stands, without a lot of tweaking to the game. In fact, many people still actually play RQ2.

In the case of PAK, however most of the shifts in rules (removing language skills, reworking Religious Bonuses, and such) happened between the 1st edition and 3rd.* Most of the changes from the 1st edition are now considered the norm by most players of the game for very good reasons. I'm not sure who, exactly, would use a copy of KAP 1st. 

So I'm typing this only because if there's going to be a Kickstarter for a previous edition, here is what I would much prefer. I know it won't happen. I know this is useless. But here it is:

If there is going to be a Kickstarter of a decades old edition of King Arthur Pendragon, I'd really much rather have a clean, beautiful copy of King Arthur Pendragon 3rd edition.

The interior layout, art, and color features of KAP3 not only make it one of the most beautiful editions of KAP, but also one of the most attractive RPGs ever printed, period.

Moreover, the 3rd edition was chopped up in the most horrible way and interlaced with Knights Adventurous to create the 4th edition, so that the fonts and layout mismatch through 4th edition that made something truly ugly. Many, many people were introduced to KAP with 4th edition, and it would be real treat for them to see the foundation fo the rules they love as presented in 3rd edition.

Many people don't like the cover of 3rd, so fine... put on a better cover! But the interior of the game is one of the best things ever.

I lost my copy of 3rd years ago, and if I were to back anything it would be for a new, clean version of one of my favorite games in one of my favorite editions. 

Again, I speaking a prayer into a cold, uncaring wind. But there it is. 

* (No 2nd edition was ever printed, for arcane publishing/distribution reasons.) 

Edited by creativehum
  • Like 1

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

3 hours ago, creativehum said:

From the podcast @sirlarkins did, I understand Chaosium is going to do a Kickstarter for a reprint of King Arthur Pendragon 1st edition.

This seems so strange. I understand Chaosium is comparing it to the RQ 2nd edition they did, which was very successful and I see why they are making the comparison.

But RQ2 is and was playable as it stands, without a lot of tweaking to the game. In fact, many people still actually play RQ2.

In the case of PAK, however most of the shifts in rules (removing language skills, reworking Religious Bonuses, and such) happened between the 1st edition and 3rd.* Most of the changes from the 1st edition are now considered the norm by most players of the game for very good reasons. I'm not sure who, exactly, would use a copy of KAP 1st. 

So I'm typing this only because if there's going to be a Kickstarter for a previous edition, here is what I would much prefer. I know it won't happen. I know this is useless. But here it is:

If there is going to be a Kickstarter of a decades old edition of King Arthur Pendragon, I'd really much rather have a clean, beautiful copy of King Arthur Pendragon 3rd edition.

The interior layout, art, and color features of KAP3 not only make it one of the most beautiful editions of KAP, but also one of the most attractive RPGs ever printed, period.

Moreover, the 3rd edition was chopped up in the most horrible way and interlaced with Knights Adventurous to create the 4th edition, so that the fonts and layout mismatch through 4th edition that made something truly ugly. Many, many people were introduced to KAP with 4th edition, and it would be real treat for them to see the foundation fo the rules they love as presented in 3rd edition.

Many people don't like the cover of 3rd, so fine... put on a better cover! But the interior of the game is one of the best things ever.

I lost my copy of 3rd years ago, and if I were to back anything it would be for a new, clean version of one of my favorite games in one of my favorite editions. 

Again, I speaking a prayer into a cold, uncaring wind. But there it is. 

* (No 2nd edition was ever printed, for arcane publishing/distribution reasons.) 

I somewhat agree, though for me, my favorite version is 4e. I would love to see a cleaned up hardbound of 4e, with errata incorporated. 

First editions will always do well though, because people want to see the start of something... and to be fair, 1e had the most beautiful cover of all of them!

SDLeary