Question re: mapping software

GMKen

4 hours ago, Diana Probst said:

Make sure you have an Affiliate link - you add your affiliate ID to the end of the URL.  That way, when you give that out, you get a bit of extra money when people who have used it buy at DTRPG.  Beer With Teeth use that extra money for group expenses like layout software, paying for fonts, and potentially our volcano island base which we have planned for the future.  It's a handy little extra, and the money coming in from it is used to make our works better, but it could also be used to buy useful life things.  Money is great like that.

Hmm,  I have not found this, but I have heard you mention this before, what is the tale to be told here?

17 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

OK, just so you know: you can direct a share of royalties you receive from any Jonstown Compendium book to any other DriveThruRPG user. It happens automatically, behind the scenes; the recipient can see total sales and revenues from that product, as well as the sales on which they received a cut, which reduces your scope for fiddling.

I am splitting royalties myself on a couple of projects and if the split is a good one, it is as Nick says.

Seems cool. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Hmm,  I have not found this, but I have heard you mention this before, what is the tale to be told here?

Here's the link: Affiliate Program.

The skinny is that if someone follows one of your links to DriveThruRPG, the site sets a cookie to remember who sent them; if that customer goes on to spend any money at DriveThruRPG in the next couple of weeks, the site passes 5% of what they spent back to you, to thank you for your leet marketing skillz.

The affiliate link is the ?affiliate_id=392988 bit you'll see at the end of any properly-thought-through DriveThru link I share. The articles linked above explain other ways to use them, which I've never needed. You don't have to have a blog, website, etc. to get an affiliate ID: just tell Scott that you're sharing links to DriveThru stuff on forums / social media / whatever. (They want to have more affiliates, it's no skin off their nose, so don't worry that you aren't qualified to send money their way: pecunia non olet)

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Here's the link: Affiliate Program.

The skinny is that if someone follows one of your links to DriveThruRPG, the site sets a cookie to remember who sent them; if that customer goes on to spend any money at DriveThruRPG in the next couple of weeks, the site passes 5% of what they spent back to you, to thank you for your leet marketing skillz.

The affiliate link is the ?affiliate_id=392988 bit you'll see at the end of any properly-thought-through DriveThru link I share. The articles linked above explain other ways to use them, which I've never needed. You don't have to have a blog, website, etc. to get an affiliate ID: just tell Scott that you're sharing links to DriveThru stuff on forums / social media / whatever. (They want to have more affiliates, it's no skin off their nose, so don't worry that you aren't qualified to send money their way: pecunia non olet)

What he says, but I believe what you get is a share of 5% - if someone has clicked on several links, DriveThru shares out the 5% between all the clicks, I think.

It's definitely upped my enthusiasm for sharing, which is where DriveThru gets their extras.  Because it sits outside our agreed royalty sharing, BWT have agreed to share ours.  I'm the person who pushes it most, but I'm also the person who would profit most from it, only that wouldn't be right, because there are four of us.  So, for that reason we dedicate it to the improvement of our work, and use it to buy assets.

18 hours ago, Diana Probst said:

If you want to do basic maps then https://dungeonmapdoodler.com/draw/ is worth a look.  Credit plus joining the creator's patreon at $5/month is a good deal if you're otherwise terrible at drawing.  An offer of a profit share might also work.  It seems they're up for discussing alternative means of paying them, and the result is good for the amount of learning you have to do.

I'm all in favour of giving people money to do art, what with being an artist myself, but the Jonstown Compendium is made with love as well as money, so I'm not so much in favour I'll sulk.

@coffeemancer, do you have a portfolio or a deviantart?  That's always good to show to a client, especially if it has more than one style in it, so they can tell what they like and whether it will suit them.

https://pin.it/3CSm1DO

• Thanks 1