Movement with minatures

Daxos232

I just recently picked up BRP and think its great. My friends and I are going to start a campaign that's in a fantasy medieval/ancient setting. I wanted to ask if anyone knows any good system for movement rates and that kind of thing because we are going to use miniatures and a chessboard. What was given in the book confused me, and I wanted to see if anyone has any good examples that they use for miniatures.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

In BRP I have always used one inch (or one square on a mat) for one meter/MOVE rating, which I believe is pretty standard.

However a chess board will prove limiting at that scale. Maybe use 3 or 5 meters per square (3 straight/5 diagonal would work well).

I strongly reccomend a larger grid such as a Chessex Battlemat.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

In BRP I have always used one inch (or one square on a mat) for one meter/MOVE rating, which I believe is pretty standard.

However a chess board will prove limiting at that scale. Maybe use 3 or 5 meters per square (3 straight/5 diagonal would work well).

I strongly reccomend a larger grid such as a Chessex Battlemat.

Seconded on all counts.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I have a (really old) set of Dungeon Floor Plans from Games Workshop. Just flagstone effect sheets, gridded in suitable-sized squares, and cut into various handy room/corridor shapes. Just the thing for indoor settings (and usable to measure outdoor distances too).

I'm sure you could find & print off something similar without too much bother.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Another alternative, but not as well liked by most RPG players is to not use a grid at all and either use rulers or tape measures. Then you just use real inches for movement with the inch being whatever scale you like.

Positive aspects for non-grid mini use, you don't have to worry about diagonal movement costing more, you can throw down terrain where ever you like and not have to worry about it lining up with the grid, no counting squares to figure out if you've moved close enough.

Negative aspects for non-grid mini use, it's a little harder to move figures as there's not grid to simplify movement, no counting squares to determine range or area of effect, if you need to align things - no grid to align them to.

Personally, I say use the system you like best and I use both depending on the game I'm playing.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

The biggest advantage to the battle map is that you can quickly draw the environment on it - trees, campfires, hidden temple entrances, etc (but not cliff tops - those should always be shrouded in fog ;)).

If you are concerned about angles, you can get a hex map instead of a grid.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I also wanted to ask, I noticed the book mentions that if a character has a skill of 100% or higher he could divide the % and use it to make two attacks. But what if he just decides not to, and will always hit because its 100% chance of success.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I've thought of making the character then make rolls out of 200% so with his 100% it would be 50/50 again, but because it's a new system for me I wanted to hear other people's opinions who have more experience.

Thank you by the way for all the prompt responses and help.

A character with a skill of more than 100% hits on any roll except 96-00, so the hit is not guaranteed. However, having a skill so high is not wasted. Your skill in excess of 100%, in case you do not want to split attacks, is useful in two ways:

• you can still hit when you suffer a penalty (for instance when your skill is halved due to aiming at a specific location or being lying on the ground)
  • more important, when skill is in excess of 100%, your chance of scoring a special success increases beyond 20%, so your chance to overcome a successful defense increases: in BRP, most "misses" are actually successful hits that your opponent parried or dodged

So, no need to change the rules when skill goes beyond 100%. There are still plenty of options that make things interesting.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

And RosenMcStern only touched on a small percentage of the options that are available to a combatant with a skill over 100%.

To take your 200% skill as an example, the character could fire into a melee with no chance of striking an ally (except on a fumble), or even fire into a melee while aiming at a specific hit location with an awesome chance of success.

Another thing, assuming that your using the default rule that the same weapon skill is used for attacks and parries, as each additional parry beyond the first is performed at a cumulative -30%, a warrior with this degree of skill would have to teamed up on and slowly overcome by multiple opponents.

Then theres all the environmental modifiers like high wind or fog, opponents with Defense Bonuses (these are a flat penalty to the chance to hit like a -10%, -20% etc), invisible opponents, range penalties, etc.

There are numerous other situations where having a skill over 100% is important.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Personally, I don't use battle maps for movement. In fact, I don't use miniatures at all, just sketches on a piece of paper.

However, it all depends on how detailed and exact you want to be in combat.

If you think that it is important to map every yard/metre of movement, whether people make half-turns or full-turns, whether people are side-on, facing, behind or whatever then a battle map is probably a good idea. The scale isn't that important. If I use them, I use a map that is one hex per 1/2/3m, depending on the size of the hex relative to the size of figures used. So, if a hex is about the same size as a figure then that's 2m, if it's larger then 3m, if smaller then 1m. Everything else flows from that.

Normally, I say that movement means a PC will be in position "at the end of the round", "at the beginning of next round", "halfway through this round" and so on. If SRs or DEX Ranks are important then the PC gets a starting SR as to when he can attack. Actions such as drawing a weapon can be done during movement, so don't impact on SRs etc.

It works for me and the players seem to like it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here