POD Quality and Hard vs. Soft Cover

ReluctantGM

I am not very nice to the books I buy. They get read, reread, used at the table, dogeared, paged through on the regular, and sometimes napped on by cats. Yes, I am a monster.

Which POD service has given you the best quality? Lulu or Drivethru? 

What is your experience with the Hardcover POD books from Drivethru? I've had pretty good quality from Lulu but I haven't tried DTRPG for Hardcover.

51 minutes ago, ReluctantGM said:

Also - since I already have the PDFs is there a way for my to give my new download codes to a friend as a way of sharing the wealth?

Not a chaosium or a design mechanism employee, but I asked this very question just before christmas and the answer then was no from chaosium, I wonder how design mechanism feels about it.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 hours ago, ReluctantGM said:

Hmmm. I notice that some of the Mythras books are available in Hardcover on Lulu but not others. The Classic Fantasy book is but the Mythras core book isn't. Is that likely to change in the future? I much prefer hardcover for my books as they tend to last longer for me.

Yes. We're revamping the entire line we have on Lulu as we speak. The aim is to have everything available in hardback. Lulu's prices and options have become a lot more favourable, so we're taking advantage of it.

• Like 3

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

53 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Yes. We're revamping the entire line we have on Lulu as we speak. The aim is to have everything available in hardback. Lulu's prices and options have become a lot more favourable, so we're taking advantage of it.

This makes me very happy!

Have you a tentative timeline for this? Will the current offerings that are already in Hardback be any different after your revamping? 

re: Mythras Core - I have a pair of the core books from DTRPG and I'm happy with them. $28 a pop. Includes PDF, PDF tied to your account.

re: lulu vs dtrpg - i have a brand new Monster Island hardcover from lulu. $42. it is very comparable to the core book. MI has 60# paper according to lulu and Core has 50# paper according to DTRPG. the difference is noticeable, though only with some effort. the ink saturation appears the same, or very close. Both are perfect bound and it appears approximately the same. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ReluctantGM said:

This makes me very happy!

Have you a tentative timeline for this? Will the current offerings that are already in Hardback be any different after your revamping? 

We're prioritising titles that aren't on Lulu yet. Once we're done, we'll then add format options for existing titles. The great thing about Lulu is that it's far, far easier to create and modify titles than it is on Drivethru. Faster too, so just keep an eye on the Lulu store.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ReluctantGM said:

I received my hardcovers of Mythras and Monster Island and I am very happy with how they came out. They are very solidly built and will definitely get a lot of use at my table.

Cheers!

Both the quality and price of Lulu's hardcovers has improved a great deal recently. I've taken delivery of proof copies of all our latest titles, and I'm extremely happy with the quality of the binding with all of them - especially the thicker titles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Both the quality and price of Lulu's hardcovers has improved a great deal recently. I've taken delivery of proof copies of all our latest titles, and I'm extremely happy with the quality of the binding with all of them - especially the thicker titles.

Lulu put out the PODs for classic RQ splats, bestiaries and games that was on offer this last Yule...I am very happy with the quality of the four I bought to replace skeletons of the originals that I had to replace. They were pricy in Canada despite being printed here for the freight and took a bit of time to arrive they and I blame the pandemic for the speed. Fair enough. Everything else seems solid and as much as I am enjoying all my PDF Mythras! I look forward to my second hard copy DM book to join my beautiful Slipcase RQ 6! , Maybe Luther Arkwright!

ETA they were all soft cover.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 3

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask what the quality of the paper in the Drive Thru Lyonesse hardcover is like. I have been disappointed with some POD stuff from Drive Thru as the paper seems really thin. Mainly the Renaissance stuff from a few years back.

I must admit though, I have been impressed with Chaosiums Classic reprints (Borderlands, Pavis and Big Rubble) I think the paper is decent quality. I have no idea who prints this.

At an eye watering £60 for Lyonesse I feel it needs asking!!

8 hours ago, Eddy said:

Can I ask what the quality of the paper in the Drive Thru Lyonesse hardcover is like. I have been disappointed with some POD stuff from Drive Thru as the paper seems really thin. Mainly the Renaissance stuff from a few years back.

I must admit though, I have been impressed with Chaosiums Classic reprints (Borderlands, Pavis and Big Rubble) I think the paper is decent quality. I have no idea who prints this.

At an eye watering £60 for Lyonesse I feel it needs asking!!

https://xpress.lulu.com/our-products 60 or 80, but i bet 60. DTRPG is 50 for their B&W. color they go heavier https://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/209936943-What-is-the-difference-between-B-W-Premium-Color-and-Standard-Color-

• Like 1