Chalana Arroy in slavery

pittel

On 2/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, pittel said:

I was thinking about a desperated Morokanth band, who want to capture a Chalana Arroy. 

[...snip...]

Any comments? 

I think you have the makings of a great Guy Ritchie film on your hands.  Especially if, at the same time, a far more objectionable gang of Thantar cultists are trying to kidnap the same target.  The morokanth are just interested in ransom or resale, while the Thanatar goons are looking for a powerful new head for their collection.  Let's root for the lesser of two evils and marvel at their race to the bottom.  Make sure that the Chalana Arroy target is more trouble than she/he is worth in the end, trade hands at least a couple of times, and throw in a troop of baboons, and I think you have a great adventure in the making.

If I were playing this scenario anytime between 1615 and 1621, I'd probably make the target Raus' daughter Jezra.  Always a hoot to throw her to the hyenas.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

On 2/23/2021 at 3:56 AM, pittel said:

Hello Friends,

I was thinking about a desperated Morokanth band, who want to capture a Chalana Arroy. 

Slavery is common for Praxians and nothing bad or evil. How dangerous could it become for reasons like ethic, morale or reprisal to kidnap a healer of Chalana Arroy?

Any comments? 

Arguably, given the strictures of the cult and the implied requirement that Chalana Arroys heal for free, the cult is already too close to slavery.  What are their pay and conditions like?  Bronze Age at best, Stone Age at worst.  The cult claims that healing is a calling, not a profession, but isn't that what all exploitative employers tell their members?

Remember also that Chalana Arroys are associated with the Cult of Storm Bull, which is a universal cult among the Praxians.  As such, I have always GMed the Chalana Arroys as being largely sacred and external to tribal conflicts.   Their green sash is a universally respected symbol of complete neutrality, and any slave who is able to earn a green sash is automatically freed.  Of course wearing a green sash to which one is not entitled is a similarly extreme taboo that deserves a deeply unpleasant public spectacle of a death for the amusement of the offended Praxian clan.

• Like 1

The Chalana Arroy is a Sable-Rider and her bodyguards too. Sable-Rider are all liars, you cannot trust them, everybody knows this. The Morokanth has a cunning plan and he took the right one. Of course the others tracked them and there was a short fight which was ended by the CA quick. From that point she took over and this "slave" thing was turned 🙂

19 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

They can make ungodly incomes on Resurrect, so they’re probably fine, materially.

LOL, that assumes that the temple doesn't claim the funds on their behalf "for the upkeep of the priestess, and charitable causes they support".  Chalana Arroys don't fight using weapons, they fight using proxies, and money is a good proxy.  Of course YGMV, but bitter, corrupt, money grubbing healers are more fun and funny imo.  There is a lot of bad behavior not specifically covered in the oaths that healers swear.

Edited by Darius West

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

LOL, that assumes that the temple doesn't claim the funds on their behalf "for the upkeep of the priestess, and charitable causes they support".  

I assume this would follow the regular income rules, i.e. 10% for Initiates? At least for "freelance" healers.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:48 PM, Akhôrahil said:

I assume this would follow the regular income rules, i.e. 10% for Initiates? At least for "freelance" healers.

Let me explain in more detail how the corrupt system works...

(1) Chalana Arroy provides free healing to any who ask for it.

(2) Grateful people provide donations to Chalana Arroy temples for the services they provide.

(3) Those donations go straight to temple coffers.

The free healing cannot be linked to the donation or it would objectively become a payment system, and Chalana Arroy doesn't take payment for her healing.

Thus indeed the Initiate might get paid 10%, but 10% of "free" is nothing at all.  Thus the High Priestess might receive a 5000L donation, but that is entirely for the services of the temple as a whole, not for the services of any particular individual serving within the temple. 

The temple is a collective community, and the fact that the High Priestess is wearing silks while the rank and file wear rough homespun wool, and she dines on quail and Pelorian wine while the rank and file dine on boiled turnip mash is simply a mark of the renunciate status of the rank and file and the esteem in which they hold their high priestess.  Nothing corrupt going on here...  No institutional slavery... All perfectly voluntary.

• Haha 1