Base Weapon chance?

HierophantX

Am I crazy? It appears that the base % for weapon use is missing from my copy of RQ. I have BRP so no worries, but am I doing the right thing in RQ terms by giving PC's base plus their skill (Dex+STR?)

Wasn't there a thread recently about rethinking some armor values? I can't seem to find it. Anyway Mongol use of silk wraps helping reduce dmg from arrows... From every account that I have read on this use of armor, the benefit wasn't that it stopped the arrow, but that it made the arrow easier to remove (or possible to remove if it were barbed), and reduced the risk of infection due to stray dirty fibers remaining in the wound (silk fibers being easy to remove, wool being impossible). So maybe instead of actually increasing DR maybe reducing chance to impale (arrows only) and/or a post combat bonus to first aid %.

The last two weeks of threads and posts went missing following a software update, which is why you cant find it.

I really like your idead of the silk shirt giving a first aid bonus - consider it adopted in our game!

Which version of RQ are you talking about?

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Am I crazy? It appears that the base % for weapon use is missing from my copy of RQ.

It sounds to me like you've bought a Mongoose product. (Is it MRQ2?) If so... yes, you are crazy. :D

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I also see no base % for weapons. At the top of page 12 though, attached to the section on Common Skills, is a section that says the following:

Skills.............................................Basic Percentage

Each Close Combat Style.................Str + Dex

Each Ranged Combat Style..............Dex x2

Common Magic.................................Pow + Cha

As everything seems to be defined as a Combat Style (ex Sword and Shield, Spear and Shield, Spear, etc.) it appears that the base % for all weapons is Str + Dex.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

It sounds to me like you've bought a Mongoose product. (Is it MRQ2?) If so... yes, you are crazy. :D

Oy... Watch it, otherwise I might have to introduce cameos in future Glorantha books involving a poor unlucky froggy orientated character! :D

As everything seems to be defined as a Combat Style (ex Sword and Shield, Spear and Shield, Spear, etc.) it appears that the base % for all weapons is Str + Dex.

As you correctly observed, base percentages for combat and common magic are presented in a seperate table on p12. Since Combat Styles are skills which cover the use of several weapons used in combination, there was little point assigning a base skill value to each individual weapon. Its simpler and saves space in the skills and equipment chapters too.

Close Combat (Str+Dex) and Ranged Combat (Dex x 2) were specifically left off the common skills list so that people couldn't misinterpret them as an exclusive uber-skill which could be applied to all weapons.

Oy... Watch it, otherwise I might have to introduce cameos in future Glorantha books involving a poor unlucky froggy orientated character! :D

You wouldn't dare! ;)

OK, my apologies, HeirophantX. (Excuse: It was just crying out to be said. A humourous allusion to lack of print-quality, and rules-quality, in previous Mongoose publications. Plus, you did ask for it!)

You may be interested to know that Mongoose RQ is not the same system as BRP (though perhaps becoming more similar due to the good efforts of Mr Nash and others). Trifletraxor created this forum as an alternative to the stifling, pro-Mongoose propaganda of their own site. You'll find some of that here, due to various interlopers generally on the Mongoose's payroll, but overall here we're much better balanced.

:)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

(Ooo - hypnotic multi-quote nesting.... And these smiley's really are bad, aren't they? My Big Grins and Winking aren't nearly clear enough.)

Ooh, better be careful using the balance word. It seems to have become rather contentious of late! :innocent:

Has it? I only meant in the sense of general fairness (perhaps with a hint of sanity!) - not game- or even bank- and certainly not cosmic-... So no need for the Moorcock Estate to sue me, surely? ;)

Opps, my jest fell a bit flat. I think I failed my witty repartee roll. :)

Careful, there! Fall much further and you'll be down to my level... :eek:

Consider it done. ;-)

It's a trap! There were two of them!

(Yes!)