Jonstown Compendium and DTRPG POD update.

skulldixon

This is just an update for those of you who have Jonstown Compendium products up on DTRPG and particularly for POD fulfilment. I don't know if you have seen this the price change announcement? Lightning Source, the print supplier has, increased costs for POD by up to 45%. So adjust your prices accordingly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, skulldixon said:

This is just an update for those of you who have Jonstown Compendium products up on DTRPG and particularly for POD fulfilment. I don't know if you have seen this the price change announcement? Lightning Source, the print supplier has, increased costs for POD by up to 45%. So adjust your prices accordingly.

At this stage it appears that the price of premium colour books will increase dramatically. Black-and-white and standard colour books will not be affected.

The price hike is coming on 1 July. Prices of premium colour print-on-demand books will automatically increase to reflect Lightning Source’s new costs. Creators are looking into cheaper alternatives (inc. standard colour rather than premium) and DriveThruRPG is helping us with this.

Ultimately, if you want one of our books, buy it now for premium print quality at reasonable prices. There may be new cheap editions in future, but they will look cheaper; the current premium editions will still be available (unless creators take them down), but will be significantly more expensive.

Every print title on the Jonstown Compendium is “premium colour,” other than Secrets of Dorastor which is “standard colour.”

On 6/3/2021 at 11:35 PM, skulldixon said:

From the sounds of it, overall they are upgrading some of the printers to what is call ultra premium, so it will be better quality (hopefully) in the long run.

Unfortunately that’s not quite right. The “ultra premium” printers are what our premium colour books have always been printed on. We can still get books printed at that quality, but it will cost more.

Upto 45% ?

Seems a bit harsh when the UK inflation rate is about 1.5 %

I know my wages haven't gone up by 45 %

Ironic really, in another thread Nick Brooke was discussing ways that Chaosium were using to reduce the POD workload for DTRPG, I suspect that these will no longer be needed, Lightning Source will be reducing their POD  workload for them with a price hike like that😆

10 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

Ironic really, in another thread Nick Brooke was discussing ways that Chaosium were using to reduce the POD workload for DTRPG, I suspect that these will no longer be needed, Lightning Source will be reducing their POD  workload for them with a price hike like that😆

Not really. The workload for DriveThruRPG is exactly the same whether we sell one book or a hundred. We would rather sell a hundred, of course, so this price hike is terrible for us in the short term. In the very short term, please buy our books while they’re still available at reasonable prices.

Edited by Nick Brooke

3 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Not really. The workload for DriveThruRPG is exactly the same whether we sell one book or a hundred. We would rather sell a hundred, of course, so this price hike is terrible for us in the short term. In the very short term, please buy our books while they’re still available at reasonable prices.

I sort of see what you're saying workwise, simply pointing out that if people go "45 % ?....they can jog on ! " then both DTRPG and lightning source will have less work coming in overall. I guess lightning source have many other print contracts and DTRPG aren't their only customer so if they lose the business they can make it up elsewhere....unless those other customers also think a 45% price hike is too much as well.