Books

Daxos232

I currently have Basic Role Playing, and the RuneQuest Core Rulebook and I went to the downloads section at this site and downloaded RuneQuest Luxury Edition. I was thinking about picking up RuneQuest Deluxe Edition but with the books I already have, would there even be a point? I thought it would have content the other two books don't but I don't know.

Is there anything that the Deluxe Edition contains that the other two are missing?

I currently have Basic Role Playing, and the RuneQuest Core Rulebook and I went to the downloads section at this site and downloaded RuneQuest Luxury Edition. I was thinking about picking up RuneQuest Deluxe Edition but with the books I already have, would there even be a point? I thought it would have content the other two books don't but I don't know.

Is there anything that the Deluxe Edition contains that the other two are missing?

The RQ Luxury edition you can find on this site is an edited version of all the previous MRQ SRDs layed out in one document. If I was you, I'd dump the MRQ Core Rulebook in the garbage if it's the first edition. The Deluxe edition is a great book if you're talking about the RQ3 one, but if it's the MRQ one, stay away. Now, if you're going to play in any of the MRQ settings from Mongoose, you should consider buying MRQ2, as it's supposed to be a great improvement on the flawed first edition. If not, I'd just stick with BRP!

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

If I was you, I'd dump the MRQ Core Rulebook in the garbage if it's the first edition.

I traded mine in for credit at my local gaming shop. Then I used the credit towards buying something better. It beats tossing it in the trash.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

http://www.amazon.com/RuneQuest-Core-Rulebook-Matthew-Sprange/dp/1905471106/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265327736&sr=8-3

this is the core rule book i got. It says its published by Mongoose in 2006. I don't see a lot of difference in it and the Luxury Edition that's available for download at this site. Of course I could be wrong, I may not have noticed the changes.

The Deluxe core rules say they are done by Mongoose Publishing too. I dunno, they don't say what edition they are. I was curious about RuneQuest 2? Has anyone tried that yet?

What you have there is Mongoose Runequest I, the not exactly recommended First Edition.

The much better Second Edition has been published just a few weeks ago, the core book

looks like this:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1755&qsSeries=39

If at all possible without any financial loss or serious other problem, try to get rid of the First

Edition and to get the Second Edition instead. ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Alright now I understand. Thanks for the help. I think I will pick up RQ2, it sounds like it's pretty good.

Whoa! Don't take my statements as an endorsement. I do not have nor am I familar with MRQII. It could be good, It could be bad.

I suggest checking up on it a bit more before buying it. At the very least check out some of the MRQII threads on the forum. If it's good more information won't hurt, and it it's bead more information will certainly help.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I suggest checking up on it a bit more before buying it. At the very least check out some of the MRQII threads on the forum. If it's good more information won't hurt, and it it's bead more information will certainly help.

Don't take my statements as an endorsement either, since I'm one of the authors. I'd suggest also having a look at the Mongoose forums for further info, since they're not shy over there of giving a justifiably savage critique.

Thus far however, MRQII has been well received by the community as a whole. Loz and I have even had personal emails expressing thanks and congratulations, which for me (save for Rome) is a first. The system went through five different playtest groups, and although there were a few initial balks with some of the innovations, once everyone sunk their teeth into it and used the rules as written, most appreciated the refinements. I know of a few other games that are using MRQII and so far the feeling has been very positive; surprisingly so in fact.

Alright now I understand. Thanks for the help. I think I will pick up RQ2, it sounds like it's pretty good.
I got MRQ2 earlier this week and have been reading through it. Overall, so far I'm impressed. I think it (re)captures some of the feel of earlier RQ versions, has a clean layout and implementation of many of the standard stuff, and has a few innovations that are intriguing. I haven't run it yet, and honestly haven't finished reading it (I'm in the Combat chapter right now).

Based on what I see so far, it's a worthwhile add to your BRP/RQ/etc library. I suspect that I'm going to stay with BRP with a few things borrowed over from MRQ2. Likely candidates right now: Actions per melee round (I liked that idea in MRQ1 rather than the -30% per use in BRP), and the tactical options when you get a critical. We'll see what I can pull from the magic sections once I get there.

Steve

Edited by sdavies2720
clarity

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!