Basic Roleplaying (BRP) for Fantasy Grounds II

Foen

I have been working on documentation for the forthcoming BRP conversion to the Fantasy Grounds platform, and I thought it also works quite well as an overview of the product.

I've finished the first of three sections (the players' guide) and attach it below. The remaining two sections are a GM's guide and a section on adapting the ruleset to work with your own BRP campaign.

EDIT:

The Gamemaster's Guide is now finished, and this gives a bit of a better oversight into the capabilities of this ruleset, including the treatment of hit locations.

EDIT #2:

The Adapting the Ruleset guide has been added, and this gives the full flavour of what can be achieved with this product.

Foen

Basic Roleplaying for Fantasy Grounds II - Players' Guide.pdf

Basic Roleplaying for Fantasy Grounds II - Gamemaster's Guide.pdf

Basic Roleplaying for Fantasy Grounds II - Adapting the Ruleset.pdf

Edited by Foen
Added Adapting the Ruleset

I have been working on documentation for the forthcoming BRP conversion to the Fantasy Grounds platform, and I thought it also works quite well as an overview of the product.

I've finished the first of three sections (the players' guide) and attach it below. The remaining two sections are a GM's guide and a section on adapting the ruleset to work with your own BRP campaign.

Cheers

Foen

Wow, thanks for the document. I've skimmed through it & it looks great. I'll definitely check this out.

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I've now added the final instalment in the User Guide, Adapting the Ruleset, giving details on how to modify the ruleset to work with different BRP genres and options.

I'll separately post the full User Guide (including a correction to the way wounds operate).

Cheers

Foen

I have been unable to upload the completed User Guide, with corrections to date, as the site refused to accept the pdf :(

Over the size limit, perhaps?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

IIRC Pendragon uses a D20 mechanic rather than a D100, in which case it would take more than a tweak to make it work. Other than that, I'm not sufficiently familiar with Pendragon to know how difficult it would be to implement.

Foen

I have been unable to upload the completed User Guide, with corrections to date, as the site refused to accept the pdf :(

Foen

Strange. What kind of error message do you get? It's usually around 8 Mb the files have to be uploaded by me manually, 2 Mb should go fine.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

IIRC Pendragon uses a D20 mechanic rather than a D100, in which case it would take more than a tweak to make it work. Other than that, I'm not sufficiently familiar with Pendragon to know how difficult it would be to implement.

Foen

Yeah, Pendragon uses a d20 opposed mechanic for most rolls. Roll under skill, high roll wins. Some special adjustments for criticals, fumbles and such. I'm thinking that Fantasy Grounds might be a useful tool for handling solo adventures.

For the most part, combat works like this:

Both combatants roll against their skill, highest successful roll wins and inflicts damage on the loser..

1) If the loser managed to roll under his skill it is a partial success and he gets his shield protection.

2) A roll of one's skill exactly is a critical, and does double damage.

3) A roll of a 20 is a fumble, and results in a broken or dropped weapon, UNLESS the character has a modified skill of 20 or more, in which case a 20 is a critical.

4) On a tie roll, a sword breaks a non-sword

5) on a 1, some weapons are dropped (flails)

6) if a character has a modified skill greater than 20 they can add the amount over 20 to their die rolls, increasing their chances of a critical.

All in all, Pendragon is probably simpler than BRP, but it uses this simplicity so it can track Personality Traits and Passions.

But, for the most part, once a player grasps the different die mechanic and opposed combat rolls, the rest of the system is close enough to BRP to grasp immediately.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Does Fantasy Grounds support "Play-by-Post" style of game? i.e. where each player can log-in ad-hoc to make their moves/rolls/statements-of-intent, without the GM necessarily being on-line at the same time?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

The extension is .PDF

Stuart

maybe you should try .pdf or .Pdf

It shouldn't make a difference, but it just might be that the parameters are case sensitive. Computers are notorious for doing what they are programed to do instead of what we want them to do.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Does Fantasy Grounds support "Play-by-Post" style of game? i.e. where each player can log-in ad-hoc to make their moves/rolls/statements-of-intent, without the GM necessarily being on-line at the same time?

Unfortunately it does not. It is intended to be a virtual gaming table, with character sheets, dice, maps, tokens etc, and doesn't have a standalone/non-GM mode.

Stuart

Unfortunately it does not. It is intended to be a virtual gaming table, with character sheets, dice, maps, tokens etc, and doesn't have a standalone/non-GM mode.

Shame. I wasn't really meaning 'stand-alone' with no GM, just that the GM/Players could visit at separate times. It is possible to do that as well as having all the VTT features you mention, e.g. RPGtonight. (NB: This is not a recommendation! Also unfortunately, that site is kludgy as heck - nice idea, though...)

Apparently the file size exceeds the PDF limit for the forum. I attach a screen shot.

Stuart

Could you email it to me? It would make it easier to figure out what's wrong, and I can upload it manually if necessary.

trifletraxor @ basicroleplaying . com

SGL.

Uploaded here. I'm not totally sure what the problem is. However, when I downloaded it from the email, the extension for the file got lost, making it impossible to upload. When I edited the filename to include the .pdf it uploaded smoothly. I don't know if this could be it, but at least it's up now:

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=318

You're assigned the uploader, so you can edit the description as you like. The location to (I think, if not - tell me if you want it moved to another section).

Cheers,

Sverre.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...