Clearwine Questions

10baseT

Greetings all,

I'm getting ready to run scenarios based in Clearwine: the GM pack, Starter pack, Smoking Ruins. While reading and prepping, a few questions came up.
(Also have my Korolstead and Cups/Dregs of Clearwine.)

Assume year early 1626.
*Do people, non-Clearwine militia or queen's men, wear armor and carry weapons in the city-fort, is it allowed?
*Is the Ernalda temple located right outside the city or about 3-4Km away as shown on the map in Quickstart rules p27?
(Gonna use the outside layout and description of the temple from page 39 of the HQ Sartar Companion, also using Martin's Temples & Towers.)
*Is the champion Nameless, from GM's Pack, or Wilms Willandring (FB post)? (maybe Nameless is tribal champion and Wilms is Ernaldori clan champion?)
*Is Hareva Chan (FB post on Sartar book) or Hareva Weaver (GM Kit) the owner of The Ram's Head and counselor to the king.

Then a non-Clearwine question.
*Can a Humakti cast rune and spirit magic during the week they can't speak due to a Humakti no-speak geas?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate it, Gil

Edited by 10baseT

43 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

*Do people, non-Clearwine militia or queen's men, wear armor and carry weapons in the city-fort, is it allowed?

My assumption is yes, they can as most of the Ernaldori clan live there.  It might raise eyebrows though if you go about armed with sword and shield.

44 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

*Is the Ernalda temple located right outside the city or about 3-4Km away as shown on the map in Quickstart rules p27?

I use the right outside the city model as shown in the GM Pack.  Quickstart was still largely based on the older HQG Sartar Companion material. 

47 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

*Is the champion Nameless, from GM's Pack, or Wilms Willandring (FB post)? (maybe Nameless is tribal champion and Wilms is Ernaldori clan champion?)

Nameless is the Tribal Champion.  Not sure where Wilms Willandring comes in, but could be the Ernaldori champion.

48 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

*Is Hareva Chan (FB post on Sartar book) or Hareva Weaver (GM Kit) the owner of The Ram's Head and counselor to the king.

They are the same person I believe.  Chan is her family name, Weaver is a nickname of some sort (occupation, ability, etc.)

49 minutes ago, 10baseT said:

*Can a Humakti cast rune and spirit magic during the week they can't speak due to a Humakti no-speak geas?

I'd expect that Humakti have learned to cast such spells via gestures, sign language, etc. and don't require actually speaking.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

My assumption is yes, they can as most of the Ernaldori clan live there.  It might raise eyebrows though if you go about armed with sword and shield.

Most free people carry weapons. Most common would be a sword or a dagger. This is as much about showing status as for defensive purposes. Bigger weapons are awkward - who wants to carry a 2.5 meter long stick or shield everywhere? People don't generally wear armour when they are going around town because it is awkward and uncomfortable.

I use the right outside the city model as shown in the GM Pack.  Quickstart was still largely based on the older HQG Sartar Companion material. 

Right outside the city.

Nameless is the Tribal Champion.  Not sure where Wilms Willandring comes in, but could be the Ernaldori champion.

Nameless is the tribal champion and serves the queen and the tribe. Wilms is who the Ernaldori as a clan tend to resort to.

They are the same person I believe.  Chan is her family name, Weaver is a nickname of some sort (occupation, ability, etc.)

Same person. 

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 14.28.57.png

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, 10baseT said:

Greetings all,

I'm getting ready to run scenarios based in Clearwine.......

My responses below are definitely not officiall, buti favor sticking to the most recent official material.

1. *Do people, non-Clearwine militia or queen's men, wear armor and carry weapons in the city-fort, is it allowed?

Except for queen's and city guard at the gate on duty, I wouldn't expect people to run around in armor when they are engaged in ordinary daily business.  But allowed is another thing: People coming in and out of the city may be armored, as I would expect folks to be armed when traveling, and Clearwine is a center of trade.  If you habitually run around in armor the neighbors may get nervous.

2. *Is the Ernalda temple located right outside the city or about 3-4Km away as shown on the map in Quickstart rules p27?

I go with the map that came with my RQiGslipcase set.  The Ernalda temple is right next to the city walls.

3. *Is the champion Nameless, from GM's Pack,  .....Is Hareva Chan (FB post on Sartar book) or Hareva Weaver (GM Kit) the owner of The Ram's Head

I go with the GM pack.

4. Can a Humakti cast rune and spirit magic during the week they can't speak due to a Humakti no-speak geas?

The rules are not specific about exactly how you cast any spell.  P.254 does say that a focus is commonly used for spirit magic, but there is a wide choice of possible foci; and you can still cast without a focus if you take more time.  It doesn't say you need to speak any formula.  You as GM are free to run it as you wish - but i suggest you tap your players' imaginations as to how they cast spells.  I do note that spells can be cast by spirits without mouths and tongues, also by spirits bound into animals that don't have the usual equipment for human speech.

You don't need a focus for rune magic,  p.314, and p.314 specifically says 'the caster recites the invocation to the god, either aloud or in the mind."  So it seems to me that your silent Humakti can do it "in the mind".  Or maybe just mouth the words.  it also seems to me, just my own taste,  that that particular geas will be annoying enough in the ordinary course of adventuring, so there's no need to add to the annoyance.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling, my nemesis.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 10baseT said:

You can always cast rune spells silently (Rulebook p.314). I think spirit magic uses sounds and magic words in order to communicate with spirits. If there are exceptions, they should be very unusual (e.g. a bound spell spirit). On the other hand, a Rune Lord may use its allied spirit to cast spells.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 10baseT said:

If you're a local, then you are part of the tribal fyrd (or a hoplite of the militia, or whatever the preferred term is this week), so you'd go armed if you normally do.  If you're a Stranger (a non-Colymar, or (gasp!) worse) then you'll have been given the Greeting by a member of the tribe en route to the hillfort.  Thus if you're on the naughty step for any reason, any particular restrictions on you will be made abundantly clear at that point.  With all due courtesy...  or calculated insult, as applicable!  "Honoured and noble guest of might and renown, we offer you promise of safety!  No need for that honking big greatsword here.  Noreallyweinsist."  If you don't like it, you can demand to see their manager, or decline their kind offer and leave.

5 hours ago, 10baseT said:

As others have said, rune magic straightfowardly yes.  They're like little mini Spirit Bombs just ready to go off at any time. 🙂  I personally think spirit magic is also fine, especially in this particular case where a Humakti is using (mostly, I assume) Humakt cult spirit magic.  But even generally I think it'd be possible.  The requirements are largely "somatic", hence the DEX SR element in using it, and in particular manipulation of the focus to touch or look at it.  I think it's possible that there exist variant forms of spirit magic that are primarily verbal, or indeed sung, say, but they've not appeared as the standard to date.  Special magic you get by non-cultic routes might vary wildly and whimsically, and other cultures even moreso.

• Like 2