Tips for making a Jujutsu Kaisen RPG?

Hey fellow weebs in the forum, I was looking for generic systems to run a Jujutsu Kaisen RPG with my friends. I played a lot of CoC with my friends, so I am very familiar with some rules in the BRP system, the major difference I noticed from CoC is the power system, being more broad for different kinds of scenarios. But I still don't know if there is a way to adapt the crazy and creative powers in the Jujutsu anime/manga, specially the domain expansions. I want to know if someone made homebrew rules for this setting or tips on what to do that would make the cursed energy system work in the BRP power system.

I'm not familiar with Jujutsu Kaisen, but you could emulate a lot of shonen battle anime with Superpowers from the BRP's Big Gold Book. After all, most of those shonen battle animes are just "superpowers in a different context". Looking at this character "Yuji Itadori", he's got enhanced strength, speed, durability, etc. Which can be easily replicated by superpowers. Wish I could help you with specifics, but I haven't watched the anime.

• Like 1

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

+1 for the BGB (or Superworld, if you can find it).
https://www.chaosium.com/basic-roleplaying-rulebooks-print/

(Agreed -- lots of high-powered genres are best modeled with supers-level RPG mechanics)

Related to BRP is Mythras.  They have a Supers book in late-beta.  Free preview here:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/381979/Destined-Preview

C'es ne pas un .sig

I think the magic systems that you can find in Mythras or Legend (which is basically the beta version of Mythras) could work fine for a Jujutsu Kaisen adaptation.

-Sorcery is a system for exerting power over your environment through study of mystic arts.

-Mysticism (only in Mythras) is a system for jedi, shaolin monks and taoists, where rigorous training and ascetic discipline gives you supernatural powers.

-Animism (only in a free stand alone supplement for Legend) is a system for contacting, summoning and binding spiritual beings.

It may not give you a 100% exact "Jujutsu Kaisen" experience, as it's always difficult to get a system to rigorously fit works of fiction, but you may be able to tinker a setting close to what you expect.

I am not familiar with the setting, but what I would do is this:

• Look at what makes the setting unique and try to emulate that
  • Don't be afraid to make up new rules mechanics to emulate things in the setting
  • Take ideas, spells, abilities and so on from any BRP/D100-style game and adapt them to your setting
  • Make up new stuff to fit the setting
  • Keep things as simple as you can (Roll a skill to do something, roll CharacteristicxN% or roll Characteristic vs Characteristic, use Hit Locations if they make sense or don't)

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

19 hours ago, ThornPlutonius said:

Mythras also has very good animism rules.

Legend is Mongoose RuneQuest 2 with the "RuneQuest" IP removed.  It is not a beta for Mythras.

Yes, my post was unclear : I meant animism is only available for Legend as a supplement, not that it doesn't exist for Mythras 

Also, I consider that saying MRQ2/Legend is a beta version of RQ6/Mythras is a good description.

On 1/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, Henrique_Dorituz said:

But I still don't know if there is a way to adapt the crazy and creative powers in the Jujutsu anime/manga, specially the domain expansions.

What you could do is to list what makes a character special in Jujitsu, list the different factions, list what powers everyone has and then find a way of working them all together.

https://jujutsu-kaisen.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Characters gives an idea of the factions and has links for the bios of the characters. https://jujutsu-kaisen.fandom.com/wiki/Jujutsu_Kaisen_Wiki mentions cursed spirits. https://jujutsu-kaisen.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Terminology shows some of the powers and the links detail them further.

So, I would go through those, list out the powers for each category and, perhaps, give each PC a Skill in the type of power and then a power within that. Having a skill for each power also works, it depends on how you see it working.

It might be worth having backgrounds for the Sorcerer Families, and similar factions, to show how they interact with each other.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here