Achtung Cthulhu - How the Black Sun name himself?

GhislainBlais

That's a great idea. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to Modiphius.

I'm not an expert in German, but I do know they love to pile up a bunch of individual words to make a single noun, so you may want to make it one word Schwarzesonne.

I know just enough to know that there is a possibility that it should be Schwarzesonne or Schwarzensonne. We would need someone more familiar than me with the intricacies of Deutsch to determine that. The adjective ending is determined by the gender of the noun it describes, and I don't know the gender of Sonne, but I will do some Googling.

EDIT: Sonne is a feminine noun, so we need to figure out which of those endings is appropriate.

EDIT 2: Per the web page below, it looks like the feminine adjective ending is -e, so Schwarzesonne is probably correct.

https://lingvist.com/course/learn-german-online/resources/german-adjective-endings/

Edited by SaintMeerkat

The symbol which is a real one and that you can find in the Gruppenführersaal, a special hall in the Wewelsburg intended for meetings of Gruppenführer (SS-Generals) is called Schwarze Sonne; Die Schwarze Sonne if you want to use it with an article.

Just because we like compounds words does not mean that you can just put everything together. 😉

Schwarzesonne isn't correct German.

And Nachtwölfe it is - there is an umlaut in the plural form: der Nachtwolf - die Nachtwölfe.

Just if you wonder: Yep, ich bin Deutscher.

Edited by Der Rote Baron
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, umlauthuth said:

Mögle-Stadel, who invented it, apparently spells it Schwarze Sonne

SS officer Wilhelm Landig would differ in your opinion about who invented it. Source: Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke 2002: Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism and the Politics of Identity, New York University Press, page 3.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

On 2/5/2022 at 12:23 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

SS officer Wilhelm Landig would differ in your opinion about who invented it. Source: Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke 2002: Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism and the Politics of Identity, New York University Press, page 3.

He would, but I don't trust Nazis about anything.  

EDIT: Although, checking the book, Goodrick-Clarke credits Erich Halik with making the SS-"Black Sun" connection (pg. 131) but mentions the sun as being "[a] roundel insignia carried by German aircraft in the polar region at the close of the war.3"  But then doesn't actually mention which squadron/unit/whatever so we can check to see whether Halik is talking about an actual roundel or just making it up. But it does imply that either way the answer lies in: 

3. Claude Schweikhart [i.e., Erich Halik], “Um Krone und Gipfel der Welt,” Men- sch und Schicksal 6, No. 10 (1 August 1952), pp. 3–5.

(I should note that the NGC *does* credit Mögle-Stadel for the Wewelsburg tile pattern-Black Sun link)

Edited by umlauthuth
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, umlauthuth said:

He would, but I don't trust Nazis about anything. 

Landing connected the image from Wewelsburg to racist mysticism in the postwar era; that's also why I cited NGC. It's just older than Mögle-Stadel, who did largely popularise it. It's not like Landing had a wide audience.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually down understand the arguing: Die Schwarze Sonne is a symbol imbedded in the Obergruppenführersaal of the Wewelsburg. It is certainly not the invention of Stephan Mögle-Stadel who used it for his book published in 1991.

Yo don't believe me? Go to the Wewelsburg. You can stand on the Sonne. I did.

There are even achaelogical finds in Verucchio in Italy from the 7th and 8th century before Christ and from the Alamans from the times of the Merowingians (6th century AD). So it is way older than Naziism.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 12:02 AM, GhislainBlais said:

Hi,

I'm about to reveal the Black Sun in my Achtung Cthulhu campaign.

But, as "Nachtwolfe" seems to be a german term... "Black Sun" is definitively not. I don't think the group refer to themselves in another language.

I tought about a pure translation : "schwarze sonne".

Do somebody have a better idea?

220px-BlackSun.svg.png 

This is the Nazi symbol of the Black Sun and it is called "Das Sonnenrad" or Sun Wheel.   It is all over Wewelsburg castle in Germany in mosaic form. Wewelsburg was Himmler's "special SS cult place", and if you have ever played Castle Wolfenstein, well Wewelsburg was sort of the inspiration for it.  So if you're ever in the mood for a great shoot-'em-up pulp style against the SS, that is the place to go for your next Achtung C'thulhu adventure.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1