Jump to content

Shamanic symbols for each culture


Ironwall

Recommended Posts

so the Role playing in Glorantha book states on pg 354  "As the Horned Man departs,
he gifts the shaman a drum. (The drum is a typical gift, but each
culture may have its own symbols: rattle, headdress, statues, etc.)"

so i have to ask what is the shamanic symbol of the different cultures of glorantha.

Edited by Ironwall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ironwall said:

so i have to ask what is the shamanic symbol of the different cultures of glorantha.

Each of the hsunchen cultures (e.g. Telmori, Basmoli, etc.) are likely different, but I don't believe anyone has documented at that level.  I'd tend to stay with the drum, but have the drumskin marked with important sites for the culture in the Spirit World.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 10:02 PM, jajagappa said:

Each of the hsunchen cultures (e.g. Telmori, Basmoli, etc.) are likely different, but I don't believe anyone has documented at that level.

A Pralori shaman is illustrated with a drum in GtG, of course. Bearwalkers on Jonstown Compendium doesn't mention it for the Rathori. In The Coming Storm, the Telmori shamans are said to "wear necklaces of bones", but it's not clear if that is their gift from Horned Man. The Telmori shaman Jogar Sog has some rather special drums, but he is Ituvanu so operating outside the core Telmori tradition.

Until reading this post, I hadn't even considered it for the Hsunchen book that I'm writing 🙂

  • Thanks 1

--

The Silver best-selling The Children of Hykim offers over 150 pages on Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "An amazing labor of love" - Evan Franke, Exploring Glorantha. "A deep dive" - Joerg Baumgartner. "Excellent sourcebook, well-written and well-researched" - Niall Sullivan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leaning into the phrase "...each culture may have its own symbols..." here, does the symbolic gift even need to be specific to and consistent within a given culture?

I know that we're exploring the "typical" possibilities, though, so I'd suggest taking a page from the Runic affinities.  Just as Runes are commonly associated with certain elements, objects, and actions, so are Great animal spirits.  The drum is the cross-cultural call-to-center, the spiritual heartbeat, so any shaman of any culture might receive a drum.  A tradition following an animal spirit that parallels Movement or Air (e.g. Pralori, Uncoling, Qa Ying) might receive a flute; one similar with Earth or Fire (e.g., Rathori or Hsa) might receive a bullroarer; one tied to death (the Telmori?) might get a necklace of bones or teeth.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

The drum is the cross-cultural call-to-center, the spiritual heartbeat, so any shaman of any culture might receive a drum.  A tradition following an animal spirit that parallels Movement or Air (e.g. Pralori, Uncoling, Qa Ying) might receive a flute; one similar with Earth or Fire (e.g., Rathori or Hsa) might receive a bullroarer; one tied to death (the Telmori?) might get a necklace of bones or teeth.

I like this better than being a cultural aspect.  Heart/drum, breath/flute, voice/horn, touch/fingerbones, mind/flintstone (i.e. spark), etc.  Connecting item with body with (potentially) Runes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

like this better than being a cultural aspect.  Heart/drum, breath/flute, voice/horn, touch/fingerbones, mind/flintstone (i.e. spark), etc.  Connecting item with body with (potentially) Runes.

I personally been assuming rattles for orlanthi cultures as an imitation of a storm Though flutes also make sense. Drums for praxians to imitate the hoof beats of herd beasts.

Edited by Ironwall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

I know that we're exploring the "typical" possibilities, though, so I'd suggest taking a page from the Runic affinities.  Just as Runes are commonly associated with certain elements, objects, and actions, so are Great animal spirits.  The drum is the cross-cultural call-to-center, the spiritual heartbeat, so any shaman of any culture might receive a drum.  A tradition following an animal spirit that parallels Movement or Air (e.g. Pralori, Uncoling, Qa Ying) might receive a flute; one similar with Earth or Fire (e.g., Rathori or Hsa) might receive a bullroarer; one tied to death (the Telmori?) might get a necklace of bones or teeth.

I hope you don't mind if I steal some of this 🙂

--

The Silver best-selling The Children of Hykim offers over 150 pages on Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "An amazing labor of love" - Evan Franke, Exploring Glorantha. "A deep dive" - Joerg Baumgartner. "Excellent sourcebook, well-written and well-researched" - Niall Sullivan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

I pulled the Runic associations of Hsunchen totems off the cuff -- I'd enjoy seeing someone put more thought into them.

They will be in Cults of Glorantha for the five peoples that covers (Basmoli, Mraloti, Pralori, Rathori and Telmori): not all of those are exactly what I'd expect, based on the preview I've seen. I'll have a think about the other tribes for my Hsunchen book (currently just central and western Genertela, I may include Kralorela as well if I have the energy).

--

The Silver best-selling The Children of Hykim offers over 150 pages on Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "An amazing labor of love" - Evan Franke, Exploring Glorantha. "A deep dive" - Joerg Baumgartner. "Excellent sourcebook, well-written and well-researched" - Niall Sullivan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...