Shamanic symbols for each culture

Ironwall

so the Role playing in Glorantha book states on pg 354  "As the Horned Man departs,
he gifts the shaman a drum. (The drum is a typical gift, but each
culture may have its own symbols: rattle, headdress, statues, etc.)"

so i have to ask what is the shamanic symbol of the different cultures of glorantha.

Edited by Ironwall

2 hours ago, Ironwall said:

so i have to ask what is the shamanic symbol of the different cultures of glorantha.

Each of the hsunchen cultures (e.g. Telmori, Basmoli, etc.) are likely different, but I don't believe anyone has documented at that level.  I'd tend to stay with the drum, but have the drumskin marked with important sites for the culture in the Spirit World.

On 2/25/2022 at 10:02 PM, jajagappa said:

Each of the hsunchen cultures (e.g. Telmori, Basmoli, etc.) are likely different, but I don't believe anyone has documented at that level.

A Pralori shaman is illustrated with a drum in GtG, of course. Bearwalkers on Jonstown Compendium doesn't mention it for the Rathori. In The Coming Storm, the Telmori shamans are said to "wear necklaces of bones", but it's not clear if that is their gift from Horned Man. The Telmori shaman Jogar Sog has some rather special drums, but he is Ituvanu so operating outside the core Telmori tradition.

Until reading this post, I hadn't even considered it for the Hsunchen book that I'm writing 🙂

• Thanks 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

Leaning into the phrase "...each culture may have its own symbols..." here, does the symbolic gift even need to be specific to and consistent within a given culture?

I know that we're exploring the "typical" possibilities, though, so I'd suggest taking a page from the Runic affinities.  Just as Runes are commonly associated with certain elements, objects, and actions, so are Great animal spirits.  The drum is the cross-cultural call-to-center, the spiritual heartbeat, so any shaman of any culture might receive a drum.  A tradition following an animal spirit that parallels Movement or Air (e.g. Pralori, Uncoling, Qa Ying) might receive a flute; one similar with Earth or Fire (e.g., Rathori or Hsa) might receive a bullroarer; one tied to death (the Telmori?) might get a necklace of bones or teeth.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

6 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

The drum is the cross-cultural call-to-center, the spiritual heartbeat, so any shaman of any culture might receive a drum.  A tradition following an animal spirit that parallels Movement or Air (e.g. Pralori, Uncoling, Qa Ying) might receive a flute; one similar with Earth or Fire (e.g., Rathori or Hsa) might receive a bullroarer; one tied to death (the Telmori?) might get a necklace of bones or teeth.

I like this better than being a cultural aspect.  Heart/drum, breath/flute, voice/horn, touch/fingerbones, mind/flintstone (i.e. spark), etc.  Connecting item with body with (potentially) Runes.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

like this better than being a cultural aspect.  Heart/drum, breath/flute, voice/horn, touch/fingerbones, mind/flintstone (i.e. spark), etc.  Connecting item with body with (potentially) Runes.

I personally been assuming rattles for orlanthi cultures as an imitation of a storm Though flutes also make sense. Drums for praxians to imitate the hoof beats of herd beasts.

Edited by Ironwall

13 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

I know that we're exploring the "typical" possibilities, though, so I'd suggest taking a page from the Runic affinities.  Just as Runes are commonly associated with certain elements, objects, and actions, so are Great animal spirits.  The drum is the cross-cultural call-to-center, the spiritual heartbeat, so any shaman of any culture might receive a drum.  A tradition following an animal spirit that parallels Movement or Air (e.g. Pralori, Uncoling, Qa Ying) might receive a flute; one similar with Earth or Fire (e.g., Rathori or Hsa) might receive a bullroarer; one tied to death (the Telmori?) might get a necklace of bones or teeth.

I hope you don't mind if I steal some of this 🙂

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

6 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

I pulled the Runic associations of Hsunchen totems off the cuff -- I'd enjoy seeing someone put more thought into them.

They will be in Cults of Glorantha for the five peoples that covers (Basmoli, Mraloti, Pralori, Rathori and Telmori): not all of those are exactly what I'd expect, based on the preview I've seen. I'll have a think about the other tribes for my Hsunchen book (currently just central and western Genertela, I may include Kralorela as well if I have the energy).

--