A little Chinese, please ...

rust

For my Sokotra setting's first major adventure, a trading voyage to Mogadishu, I would need

a little linguistic help with the name of a Chinese junk and its owner - the colonists will meet

the Chinese trader in Mogadishu and will have a chance to establish a friendly relationship.

Unfortunately I have no idea of Chinese naming customs for ships, and do not want to end up

with something ridiculous ... and while we are at it a plausible name for the ship's captain-ow-

ner would also be most welcome.

Thank you very much. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I think you need to wait until Gianni is back from Bacharach.

No problem, it is not urgent, the setting is still in a very early design stage. :)

(Charlie Chan)

I think the Chinese did not use ship names, but numbered them using the Stems-and-Branches system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagenary_cycle). So the "Grand Fleet for the Pacification of the Western Barbarians" would probably have been made up of "Ship Jiazi of the Grand Fleet....", "Ship Yichou of the Grand Fleet..." etc. The names from the web-site mentioned above are more fun.

I think the Chinese did not use ship names, but numbered them using the Stems-and-Branches system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagenary_cycle). So the "Grand Fleet for the Pacification of the Western Barbarians" would probably have been made up of "Ship Jiazi of the Grand Fleet....", "Ship Yichou of the Grand Fleet..." etc. The names from the web-site mentioned above are more fun.

Considering rust's signature line, I banking that he'll prefer using "Number One Ship".

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I think the Chinese did not use ship names, but numbered them using the Stems-and-Branches system ...

Thank you very much, I think in this case I will indeed use the ahistorical version ... numbered

ships ... =O

(Charlie Chan)

Considering rust's signature line, I banking that he'll prefer using "Number One Ship".

"Son number one only travels on ship number one, only number he can count to and remember." ;D

(Charlie Chan)