BRP for Foundry VTT & Misc. Licensing Questions

zcClarkE

A question:
Will a GM be able to set a suite of "setting options" and then all the players run their character-creation via the GM's interface?
Or will each player need to set the correct "setting" values for themselves?

Hmmm...  Also, an idea:
Given how multi-genre the core BRP engine is, will you have easy re-skinning options, so the sci-fi game can run a sci-fi skin, and the urban-fantasy can run a "modern" skin, etc?

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 minutes ago, g33k said:

A question:
Will a GM be able to set a suite of "setting options" and then all the players run their character-creation via the GM's interface?
Or will each player need to set the correct "setting" values for themselves?

Hmmm...  Also, an idea:
Given how multi-genre the core BRP engine is, will you have easy re-skinning options, so the sci-fi game can run a sci-fi skin, and the urban-fantasy can run a "modern" skin, etc?

Yes, that is exactly the plan. If a GM shares a setting in a campaign, that setting is “locked,” but if changes are made by the gm they “trickle down” on the next opening of the character be it by the GM or player.

I’ve already got color themes which semi-correspond to a theme background, but no plans immediately for a per-setting character creation. Perhaps for the shared campaign level. I’m working out the mechanics first. There’s a ton of toggles 😎

Owner and developer of Savaged.us. Creator of the RPG Worlds project for the ORC compatible BRP system.

6 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

This is all very interesting, but it has nothing to do with Foundry or other VTT. Shouldn't you open another thread with Savage.us in the title?

Sure thing (except this has nothing to do with Savaged.us)! However, If you'd read the whole thread I started this in response to that I'm completely open for exporting characters and items straight to a VTT module and would be glad to help in any way facilitating that functionality.

Owner and developer of Savaged.us. Creator of the RPG Worlds project for the ORC compatible BRP system.

9 minutes ago, Alliante said:

Sure thing (except this has nothing to do with Savaged.us)! However, If you'd read the whole thread I started this in response to that I'm completely open for exporting characters and items straight to a VTT module and would be glad to help in any way facilitating that functionality.

I read it, and the topic here is Foundry VTT. RPG Worlds is a character/campaign creator that should be able to export data to Foundry and other VTTs. It is related, but it is indeed another topic. It is in no way a solution for the current problem of lacking support for BRP in Foundry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Now that I'm back from holiday my work is underway on a Foundry implementation - early days yet and nowhere close to having a full data model for you @Alliante

So far I have the start of a character sheet with primary and derived stats (you can make rolls from these), skills (you can make basic* rolls from these and can also drag them to the hotbar for quick access) - no spells, items, powers etc yet - so still a long way to go but some initial progress.   SKills and stats also have context menus to allow for skill rolls and some other functions (view skill details) plus skills now get checked for succesful skill rolls (not for Easy rolls).

*by basic rolls I mean you can include difficulty and flat modifier and there is a short cut (Shift Key) to roll Average difficulty with no modifier.

image.png.ca8f8dd1bc324e8d0ec7d7635e8e14cb.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dangermouse said:

Now that I'm back from holiday my work is underway on a Foundry implementation - early days yet and nowhere close to having a full data model for you @Alliante

So far I have the start of a character sheet with primary and derived stats (you can make rolls from these), skills (you can make basic* rolls from these and can also drag them to the hotbar for quick access) - no spells, items, powers etc yet - so still a long way to go but some initial progress.   SKills and stats also have context menus to allow for skill rolls and some other functions (view skill details) plus skills now get checked for succesful skill rolls (not for Easy rolls).

*by basic rolls I mean you can include difficulty and flat modifier and there is a short cut (Shift Key) to roll Average difficulty with no modifier.

image.png.ca8f8dd1bc324e8d0ec7d7635e8e14cb.png

@Dangermouse is you are doing this in an open source code, I would be glad to take a look and maybe try to help a little 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

I read it, and the topic here is Foundry VTT. RPG Worlds is a character/campaign creator that should be able to export data to Foundry and other VTTs. It is related, but it is indeed another topic. It is in no way a solution for the current problem of lacking support for BRP in Foundry.

As a Mod, would you mind creating a new topic for me and moving those messages into the new topic?

2 hours ago, Alliante said:

As a Mod, would you mind creating a new topic for me and moving those messages into the new topic?

I have moderator rights only on a sub-folder, not on this forum. 

I suggest you open another thread yourself with the title "RPG Worlds - world creator for BRP games and VTTs" in Big Red Boldface. This will increase interest. You can then repost the same screenshots there, or provide others. The original posts can stay here.

There is a lot of discussion related to your project that can go on. Better have it in a thread that is not connected to one specific VTT implementation. Particularly because Foundry has only a rudimentary implementation of BRP for now, while other VTTs are currently more advanced.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

@RosenMcSternExcellent!  Thank you! I'll  get on that as soon as I'm closer to completion with adding Skill Specialties to skills and make new screenshots.

@Dangermouse Feel free to @ or DM me here when you're ready for imports. I've got Neil at Chaosium's email address and will be contacting him as well with my intent for digital tool integration.

I'll waste no more space on this thread until I'm needed

Thanks again!

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CussaMitre said:

@Dangermouse is you are doing this in an open source code, I would be glad to take a look and maybe try to help a little 🙂

@CussaMitre - yes it will be open source, - it's on Github at the moment - Genii-Locorum/BRP: Foundry VTT implementation for Basic Role Playing (github.com)   It is not the most up to date version (that's on my PC and I periodically update Github).  Any advice on cleaning up/simplifying the code is welcome (I like figuring out how to make something work but it may not be the most efficient code going)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I made an update.

So here are some screenshots of where I've got to so far - images are taking up a lot of space so I may loose them in due course but for now there are icon's for skills, personalities etc.  You drag and drop a culture, personality and profession to the sheet, selecting the various skills and specifying specialities.  Dice rolls, skills check, XP checks etc all work.  It's only basic skill rolls so far (no complimentary rolls etc).  No combat yet, damage, armour etc - I need to build all that out.  Powers are just titles/placeholders at the moment.

Most of the options in the game config work (e.g. using EDU etc  some need some work).

A lot of this is based off the Call of Cthulhu implementation

brp1.thumb.png.2d7625e1693ce5a20d5f1616bfbc8063.pngbrp8.png.f449edc627de5e966f9805081bd5273c.pngbrp7.thumb.png.d527db8abe789104513844969207d38d.pngbrp6.thumb.png.e8ddccae231a7922d86a79b380ce43bb.pngbrp5.thumb.png.c19ab63456f5526aed0c12f6aaa69175.pngbrp4.thumb.png.a79fb09e2c28b389b669f265913d39bf.pngbrp3.thumb.png.3e90768aee00f1ad843dd558f2a9f02a.pngbrp2.thumb.png.497e8bb902132b4905a19fe8fe793bb4.png

• Like 5

On 5/22/2023 at 5:48 PM, Alliante said:

Progress on the setting and character builders. I’m having to build them side by side as the options in setting builder affect the options in the character builder. I’m probably about 1/8th done with the initial development of these two sections.

https://rpg-worlds.com

27392507-AD40-4679-BC0E-38DEDC7F58B3.png

B4B0036A-6C63-4410-8A66-736F11CA00EE.png

611BDCCC-4DC6-402D-AB9E-2E0900BEE92B.png

I've been playing with this tool, and I'm impressed by how smoothly it's already working.
Very little buggy/crashy behavior, lots of functionality already in place.

If you just happened to be running a BRP game with the exact bits he has already implemented, I'd consider it ready-to-go for your campaign!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Great to see the development progressing. I've been using the CoCth Foundry game system for a couple of years now, and am absolutely thrilled to see BRP in the works.

Edited by BlackLaird
Further posts revealed after sign up, which answered my original query.
  • Like 2

It's slow going as I have to balance development with work, and the other hobbies 🙂   Just about done with damage and healing (a few more changes to be made) - then will get on to weapons, items and spells.  At that point it might be ready for some testing (no promises on what those timelines are).  I am not a developer/coder by trade (some experience now though) so it does take me some time (and the CoC developers have been a great help - I can't praise them enough) to get stuff working properly.

If there are specific features that people think should be in the initial release please say so and I'll see what I can do.

First release won't have much automation (it will track stuff likes wounds, power points etc but probably not automated combat or things like opposed roles) - that may come later if there is a demand.

And no doubt I'll have to build in lots of different options (things like Hits Per Location are already incorporated).

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 1:48 AM, Alliante said:

Progress on the setting and character builders. I’m having to build them side by side as the options in setting builder affect the options in the character builder. I’m probably about 1/8th done with the initial development of these two sections.

https://rpg-worlds.com

Shouldn't this be in a separate thread as the OP was regarding Foundry

6 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

Shouldn't this be in a separate thread as the OP was regarding Foundry

It has its own thread, now.
There's some potential crossover, eventually, for people to be able to export their characters "rpg-worlds" characters & campaigns over to the VTT.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 months later...

Just a brief update - my focus has been on a couple of other systems (including Pendragon) and some RL stuff.  But now that RL has been resolved and I've got my hands on the actual BRP book (I'm old, I like physical media) - I am back working on this.

Some discussions ongoing with Ikeo about how to approach development and once I have a firm plan I will give a better update and maybe start a dedicated thread.

In short - this isn't dead, it's just been resting.