BRP for Foundry VTT & Misc. Licensing Questions

zcClarkE

I am interested in developing an implementation of the Basic Roleplaying system within Foundry Virtual Tabletop. I understand that Call of Cthulhu 7e and RuneQuest are already under development in both an unofficial capacity by the Foundry community and an official capacity by Ariel Sawicki, but I was hoping to provide BRP as a more generic option for more convenient use of other systems utilizing its core within the Foundry environment.  

I am curious if developing it would be completely redundant because BRP is either already planned to go under development in any official capacity or getting utilized as a basis for the official implementations of Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest (if the unofficial systems are not going to be utilized for official content).

Assuming I have reason to work on the system myself, correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the assumption that I can utilize the BRP SRD for any aspect of the system I could include, but does the free BRP Quick-Start document have any elements I can utilize? Furthermore, do other BRP systems like Superworld contain any materials I would be able to implement such as character sheets or any base mechanics, or do the entirety of these systems require special licensing?

Lastly, I saw that the Fan Material Policy mentioned "web-based character generators are fine; app based character generators are not", but where does Foundry VTT as a web application fall under this policy? Would character and other miscellaneous generators be restricted from getting included within an unofficial implementation of the BRP system in the Foundry environment? I apologize for any misunderstanding as I don't know how Fan-Use and Licensing should be interpreted in regards to Virtual Tabletops.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know enough about Foundry, but it strikes me that waiting for the "official" CoC and/or RQ materials -- then modding them for BRP-core -- might be an effective strategy.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I've also been tooling around with building a system in foundry, although I've been building it using the Custom System Builder system.  It's been a fun little project for what it's worth, but I'd really like to know how to build an actual system instead of trying to hack this one to work (for example, I'm using math and ridiculously long and repetitive ternary operators to check for conditions when certain options are turned on or certain conditions are met, and it's just super messy - I'd rather have the full power of javascript at my disposal instead of math.js evaluations).  Sounds like we've got 2 other people in this thread who'd like to build it too, and I'm wondering if we could combine our efforts.  

Foundry says all you need to know is html, css, and javascript... but in my attempt at figuring it all out, they forgot "oh yeah, you also need to know css preprocessors like less and sass, and you need to know how templating engines work, and you need to understand how to write hooks and event listeners, and-" and the list of advanced concepts of web development go on from there.  Understanding syntax isn't enough... Anyway - point is if anyone would like to collaborate (if for no other reason than to help catapult me out of my "legacy" knowledgebase of php and jsp web development) I'm super motivated to add my hand to the project 🙂

I wonder if Chaosium (and specifically their Foundry-guy, Ariel Sawicki) would be open to any sort of "community content" collaboration...?

Chaosium has done the "Tribal Edits" thing, so I suppose it's not just flat off-the-table...  Though (for various contractual / legal / copyright / etc reasons) it might not be viable.

C'es ne pas un .sig

I'm thinking it might be easier to have a sort of "ask for forgiveness instead of permission" attitude with regards to projects like this... 

If we build one, and get slapped with a cease and desist about it, it at least means they have a working example of the system that makes it a lot easier to "officially" integrate into foundry.  Either they kill it and it dies, or - it means they take over responsibility and control of the project (which could be sad, but at the end of the day I don't really care who makes the system, I just want the system in there lol).  I've seen plenty of examples of companies saying "we don't wanna build the thing, but since you've already done the majority of the work for us, here, we'll take it and put it in, nice job guys!"

• Helpful 3

• 8 months later...

Creating a base BRP system under the ORC License will be fine. 

I'll work our how we can help.

We do support free basic system versions for Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest that we will contribute to and then work on value-adds like modules of our IP that we will sell.

Neil

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 4/9/2023 at 8:50 AM, Neil said:

We do support free basic system versions for Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest that we will contribute to and then work on value-adds like modules of our IP that we will sell.

Neil

TYVM.

May I humbly suggest that you reflect this info (with links) on the respective CoC & RQ pages on your website, so that new customers can see (and easily find) this material?  Specifically:

We do support free basic system versions for Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest

Should be linked from their respective pages!!!

Right now, I am repeatedly seeing various folks on various online fora asking if such materiel even exists... 

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Having just bought the new BRP system and put a Rivers of London Fan/Unofficial implementation together I was turning one eye to a possible BRP implementation - so it's great news to hear that it's OK to do this under ORC (thanks @Neil)

But I wouldn't want to duplicate effort or step on anyone's toes if that's already underway - so if anyone is working on a Foundry Implementation please shout.

And for clarity - I am not a developer or a graphic designer so this may be pretty basic if I do this 🙂.  I do however like a challenge....

20 hours ago, Dangermouse said:

Having just bought the new BRP system and put a Rivers of London Fan/Unofficial implementation together I was turning one eye to a possible BRP implementation - so it's great news to hear that it's OK to do this under ORC (thanks @Neil)

But I wouldn't want to duplicate effort or step on anyone's toes if that's already underway - so if anyone is working on a Foundry Implementation please shout.

And for clarity - I am not a developer or a graphic designer so this may be pretty basic if I do this 🙂.  I do however like a challenge....

Just to put this out there in the aether, I am toiling away at a BRP ORC system for Foundry in my free time, but I wouldn’t let that stop you from taking a stab at it yourself.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:57 PM, JDGwf said:

At this point I’m seriously exploring a “full package” setting /campaign/character manager. Domain purchased. I’ll start a new thread once there’s anything to see.

How are you planning to set this up?
Would it be downloaded onto users' PCs, or web-hosted, or...?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

How are you planning to set this up?
Would it be downloaded onto users' PCs, or web-hosted, or...?

It is web-hosted just like savaged.us - It's honestly the only way to have full access to all Operating Systems, despite the need for web access.

Owner and developer of Savaged.us. Creator of the RPG Worlds project for the ORC compatible BRP system.

1 hour ago, JDGwf said:

It is web-hosted just like savaged.us - It's honestly the only way to have full access to all Operating Systems, despite the need for web access.

Thanks!
And yes:  web-hosted is my requirement.
(tho SW ain't particularly "my special game," so I'm unfamiliar with savaged.us (BRP is my default/preferred game-mechanical engine for most genre's))

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Which is one of the many reasons I'm putting my foot forward to help drum up community interest in BRP as well. Savage Worlds is an awesome, fast RPG which is great for short campaigns or one-offs, but lacks a little in long term Campaigns. Between BRPs legendary campaign lengths and the ORC license I'm stepping in to fill a potential gap for us all.

I should have all the 'basics' complete (logins, registration, notifications, themes, etc) by the end of today or tomorrow, and then off to the Good Stuff™

I'm hoping to have something to show by the end of next week heath dependent.

The plan is to create a setting from the new BRP as a bunch of "toggles and switches" which one can share with those limits and items other folks to create their characters. The setting will have limitations of items available for the setting, and the ability to add items such as gear, weapons, etc. There'll be a shared chat page for premium accounts with a Dice Roller, image uploader, and electronic character sheets.

Speaking of electronic character sheets. Auto-checking of used skills (and the ability to uncheck of your GM declares it not enough to count as 'used'), and the ability to roll the Experience Check or roll your own die (with a history/log of what was rolled and when for each skill).

I'm really excited of what's ahead.

Edited by JDGwf
  • Like 2

Owner and developer of Savaged.us. Creator of the RPG Worlds project for the ORC compatible BRP system.

3 hours ago, JDGwf said:

Which is one of the many reasons I'm putting my foot forward to help drum up community interest in BRP as well. Savage Worlds is an awesome, fast RPG which is great for short campaigns or one-offs, but lacks a little in long term Campaigns. Between BRPs legendary campaign lengths and the ORC license I'm stepping in to fill a potential gap for us all.

I should have all the 'basics' complete (logins, registration, notifications, themes, etc) by the end of today or tomorrow, and then off to the Good Stuff™

I'm hoping to have something to show by the end of next week heath dependent.

The plan is to create a setting from the new BRP as a bunch of "toggles and switches" which one can share with those limits and items other folks to create their characters. The setting will have limitations of items available for the setting, and the ability to add items such as gear, weapons, etc. There'll be a shared chat page for premium accounts with a Dice Roller, image uploader, and electronic character sheets.

Speaking of electronic character sheets. Auto-checking of used skills (and the ability to uncheck of your GM declares it not enough to count as 'used'), and the ability to roll the Experience Check or roll your own die (with a history/log of what was rolled and when for each skill).

I'm really excited of what's ahead.

Wow!
This all looks pretty awesome...  I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to trying it out when you've got some public-facing content!

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 10:50 AM, Neil said:

Neil

On 4/11/2023 at 8:48 PM, Azarvel said:

Just to put this out there in the aether, I am toiling away at a BRP ORC system for Foundry in my free time, but I wouldn’t let that stop you from taking a stab at it yourself.

On 4/11/2023 at 12:15 AM, Dangermouse said:

Get with me for an importer format (likely json) and I will export to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Progress on the setting and character builders. I’m having to build them side by side as the options in setting builder affect the options in the character builder. I’m probably about 1/8th done with the initial development of these two sections.

https://rpg-worlds.com

27392507-AD40-4679-BC0E-38DEDC7F58B3.png

B4B0036A-6C63-4410-8A66-736F11CA00EE.png

611BDCCC-4DC6-402D-AB9E-2E0900BEE92B.png

Edited by Alliante