BRP Western

Kloster

I know this is pretty late in the thread for this type of stuff but I would recommend anyone interested in a western game to listen to the old Gunsmoke Radio Drama. Its a bit more adult than the TV show and, as a plus, you can pretty much guarantee that your players won't recognize any of the plots that you steal.

Great for listening to at work. :)

Index of /~trademarksnet.com/GUNSMOKE/GunsmokeTGAW/Marks-Stuff/MP3/Gunsmoke 1952-54a

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is pretty late in the thread for this type of stuff but I would recommend anyone interested in a western game to listen to the old Gunsmoke Radio Drama. Its a bit more adult than the TV show and, as a plus, you can pretty much guarantee that your players won't recognize any of the plots that you steal.

Great for listening to at work. :)

Index of /~trademarksnet.com/GUNSMOKE/GunsmokeTGAW/Marks-Stuff/MP3/Gunsmoke 1952-54a

Great idea!:thumb::thumb:

I'm a fan olf old time radio and a member at RUSC. On more than one occasion I've used an old radio show as a framework for an RPG adventure. In many ways they work better than TV or films. They are shorter and have to explain everything ('cuz we can't see it) making it easier for a GM to get the overall outline of a plot.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Ok sorry for not getting back with some prices on weapons during Civil war but been little busy.

Going to start with the big guns. My source is artillery and ammunition's of the Civil war by Warren Ripley. Might add its one of my favorite books and great source of information about American Civil war Artillery.

For an 8 inch Rodman gun weighing 8500 cost is $825 . Hi states that for large smooth bore that about $1 for every 10 pounds of gun is a good figure.

For the 3 inch ordnance rifle they cost $250

A certain Col .Clay of England was selling 8 inch guns for 400 pounds sterling and a 9inch gun for 500 pounds sterling. The Confederates had a low opinion of the ones they bought.

2 Blakeley rifles of 12.75 inch and weighing in at 27 tons cost the Confederates 10,000 pound sterling each.

I thought the Gunsmoke radio show was rather grim. Folks get killed every episode, and it isn't always the bad guys. The show's concept was actually a departure from previous Western shows, applying the world view and attitude of film noir and the hard-boiled detective genre to the 19th Century. Not that it wasn't well done, just sooooooo depressing, especially if you listen to several episodes back-to-back.

Red Ryder and Hopalong Cassidy are more to my taste, and they have radio shows, too.

http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/westerns.html

Radio Spirits - The World's Largest and Greatest Selection of Old Time Radio!