Fiddling with the folio

PhilHibbs

Files:

I love the folio character sheet from the starter set, especially printed on heavy card stock, but it isn't perfect.

There's a lot of wasted space, and not enough variant skills like languages, insight, spells.

I don't have many tools for creating something like this, so for now I've gone about it the hard way - pasting it all up with a paint program.

Here's a scaled down version. The PNG is 8.5 MB, and a moderately compressed JPEG is 6 MB.

image.png.b0432008a1b968618608e74a14f63b0c.png

Any suggestions for tools to use to do this kind of work?

Edited by PhilHibbs
Added Cults sheet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I love the folio character sheet from the starter set, especially printed on heavy card stock, but it isn't perfect.

There's a lot of wasted space, and not enough variant skills like languages, insight, spells.

I don't have many tools for creating something like this, so for now I've gone about it the hard way - pasting it all up with a paint program.

Here's a scaled down version. The PNG is 8.5 MB, and a moderately compressed JPEG is 6 MB.

image.png.8f9fde22d72eb9584c32ed8ed4ae8351.png

Pretty much any DeskTopPublishing package. I suspect even M$ Publisher could be used (even M$ seems to want to disavow Publisher -- it is included with some forms of the Office Package, but in books on using Office, Publisher often gets less than 15 pages, while Word takes that many pages just to set up stock margins and fonts).

Once done, print to PDF...

The aged parchment and top/bottom cyan bars would likely have to be scanned images -- though a paint program with an airbrush setting might suffice for the aging effect at the "fold lines".

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Back in the day I would have recommended InDesign, but these days I hate subscriptions with a passion. I have tried to do the job with Open Office and other free tools and gave up! I own Affinity Publishing but have not had much time to play with it unfortunately.  I will say the price is right, the learning curve seems about par for the course for a DTP tool and it seems to have the power to do the job. Perhaps paired with its sister product Affinity Photo or the free gem, GIMP, you can get the job done for a good price.

Great question, Phil. Looking forward to seeing the answers. 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I used Affinity Designer for a similar purpose - though I must admit there’s a learning curve.  My one word of caution: if you want your end result to be a pdf with fillable “forms” fields, Affinity Designer is not going to do that for you.

17 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

Pretty much any DeskTopPublishing package. I suspect even M$ Publisher could be used (even M$ seems to want to disavow Publisher -- it is included with some forms of the Office Package, but in books on using Office, Publisher often gets less than 15 pages, while Word takes that many pages just to set up stock margins and fonts).

Once done, print to PDF...

I've used Scribus to do many simple dtp jobs.  I haven't had any non-simple jobs.  You would probably need some graphics programs too - maybe Inkscape for vector graphics, and Gimp for images (although gimp is probably a bit over-powered for this task - you can get away with other image editing software)

All are free software. 

If I need to modify any type of character sheet, I usually use a simple PDF reader that allows annotation. You can type directly onto the sheet. Make shapes to cover unwanted text, and cut and paste what you like. For example here's my sorcery drop in I made to replace the Rune magic section on a normal character sheet. I copy and pasted the section of the sheet I wanted to cover. Opened it in my PDF editor (in my case either Preview or PDF Expert) matched the style, covered it with a white rectangle (to hide to text) and then type in the new stuff, then screen shot the result. Then I drop it in to the original PDF.

I never bother with fillable sheets, as you can type directly onto the sheet.

image.thumb.png.1356035181a09dbbc259792bcfe42f7e.pngimage.png.362af4100e00c92c4048d0b2f2c9fbaa.png

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

9 hours ago, Daesta said:

My one word of caution: if you want your end result to be a pdf with fillable “forms” fields, Affinity Designer is not going to do that for you.

Alas, thanks for the heads up.. perhaps there is another PDF solution or a plug in for Affinity to create fillable form fields from/for PDF products...

6 hours ago, andyl said:

I've used Scribus to do many simple dtp jobs. 

I have heard Diane of Beer with Teeth give this barebones, build it and fly it yourself DTP app props.

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

Not as impressive as you you think, my alter ego @Scotty just opened the Indesign file and looked at the fonts...

oookay, still a little impressed... <sigh> can we put you down as one vote for subs?

6 hours ago, andyl said:

All are free software. 

... and GIMP is worth every hour you invest in it! Be aware the learning curve here can increase steeply when you leave the shallow end. It comes with great docs, though. Again over powered for most (Orlanthi All) Adventure Sheet creation needs (but what of that great character pic of Sir Harrek Drake Esq, barbarian bill, huh?).

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

If anyone wants a printed set of sheets with a character illustration (you need to provide the picture, I'm not really an artist, but if you have source images I can do some compositing) then PM me. I can print A3 folios on good quality heavy paper and fold them nicely so they become like a slim folder for storing the additional sheets inside.