"What geases does my character have?", "All of them!" - reminiscing about a memorable game, nearly 30 years later...

MOB

PAX AUS was a blast - exciting to be back after three years! I've already posted a lot of the great stuff that happened on the Chaosium Facebook page – our gaming tables booked solid, superb panels, Call of Cthulhu actual play on the main stages, Bridgett! – but here's a personal highlight.

On Friday, Susan told me someone had come to our TTRPG sign-up table asking for me. He had fond memories of a RuneQuest game that I GMed at a convention many, many years ago.

And when we did meet up on the last day of PAX AUS it turns out I have fond memories of that same game too!

This was at Necronomicon '93 at Newtown High School in Sydney. I was running the RuneQuest scenario 'Last Tango in Pavis', set in Sun County (setting of my recently-published RQ supplement of the same name).

We already had six people for the six player character slots, but Richard Warner was keen to play too, and most welcome. So, as already recounted here on BRP Central, I made up an extra player character for him on the fly:

Thinking quickly, I said he was a disgraced 79 year old Yelmalio Light Priest busted back to the Sun Dome militia for farting in the temple, or some such. When Richard asked me what Yelmalio magic does he have, I said "all of it" (incidentally, presaging how Rune magic is done in RQG). When he asked what Yelmalio geases his character had, I replied "all of them!" (and we read them all out!)

This made for some very amusing roleplaying, something Richard still remembers and so do I! And here at PAX AUS we both got to reminiscence about it, almost thirty years later!

20221009_154247 (1).jpg

Edited by MOB
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Bill, he defined it. The phrase is MOB’s.

Well aware of that, as is the one page (?) rule set of the same name... Been a fan of his since the 90s!

ETA

I was trying to recall where I saw the game and it's rules but while looking for it just now I came across this, seems you might know a bit about it yourself... That is your logo below on the top left of the graphic is it not, @Nick Brooke?

image.png.0c9fcef272cd0dc8f5c06d763598e641.png 

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

It’s the Reaching Moon Megacorp logo.

Designed by Dan Barker, turned into an icon by me (for my old Compuserve > BT Internet > etyries.com website, with David Hall’s enthusiastic consent), and borrowed by Tales of the Reaching Moon editor Michael O’Brien for his own website (again, with everybody’s enthusiastic consent). I’m sorry if this caused any confusion. MOB and I are Megacorp to the bone.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

So the page you pulled there is from MOB’s old website.

Copied it from a graphic at RPGGeek actually,

26 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Here, have a link.

but yes the link you provide is where I first saw the full one page rules. I had forgot it was an intro to and a rules system for the Gaining of Wisdom Scenario.

Cheers

PS Hey MOB, where are the promised Advanced Rules, eh?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

I tried to find it there first, but its content doesn't seem to be covered by your search engine.

41 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

I tried to find it there first, but its content doesn't seem to be covered by your search engine.

Yes, sadly it's one of two sites that are not yet fully integrated. (the other being the Old Glorantha.com Forums).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/