Maran Gor

Jose

Hello Tribe! 

We know Maran is an important goddess for the Tarsh exiles, so my question is this:

Will the cults book allow us to play a full Tarsh Exile campaign as Maran Gor worshippers with subcults, more associated cults and all that jazz...? 

Thanks

It was previously announced as one of the Earth pantheon deities to receive a full write-up in the Cults book(s), but I guess we'll only know for sure when we hear more ...

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

5 hours ago, Jose said:

Hello Tribe! 

We know Maran is an important goddess for the Tarsh exiles, so my question is this:

Will the cults book allow us to play a full Tarsh Exile campaign as Maran Gor worshippers with subcults, more associated cults and all that jazz...? 

Thanks

Most of the relevant info is in the Homelands section of the Core Rules. Orlanth & Ernalda are the most popular cults, Maran Gor is very important... The Cults book is just going to give a long write up (Mythos and History, Nature of the Cult, Organisation), so there's some info on the Great Temple organisation, a paragraph on the Tarsh exiles, a few more associated cults (Kero Fin, Lodril, Voria (no magic)) and a paragraph on Sorana Tor. Maran Gor has no subcults. Maran Gor is a tiny cult, but important here as this where her Great Temple is and so dominates the local politics.

In the absence of an Old Tarsh sourcebook, you may find the Unspoken Words, In Wintertop's Shadow (2002) and Wintertop Fair (2004) both by Ian Cooper, useful resources to use. While written 20 years ago for Hero Wars and HeroQuest 1, the background and adventures are easily adaptable to RuneQuest and whatever Lunar or post-Lunar setting you favour (if you can find copies... @blackyinkin)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

19 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Most of the relevant info is in the Homelands section of the Core Rules. Orlanth & Ernalda are the most popular cults, Maran Gor is very important... The Cults book is just going to give a long write up (Mythos and History, Nature of the Cult, Organisation), so there's some info on the Great Temple organisation, a paragraph on the Tarsh exiles, a few more associated cults (Kero Fin, Lodril, Voria (no magic)) and a paragraph on Sorana Tor. Maran Gor has no subcults. Maran Gor is a tiny cult, but important here as this where her Great Temple is and so dominates the local politics.

In the absence of an Old Tarsh sourcebook, you may find the Unspoken Words, In Wintertop's Shadow (2002) and Wintertop Fair (2004) both by Ian Cooper, useful resources to use. While written 20 years ago for Hero Wars and HeroQuest 1, the background and adventures are easily adaptable to RuneQuest and whatever Lunar or post-Lunar setting you favour (if you can find copies... @blackyinkin)

No subcults? Uhm... Broad space to be creative, I am thinking about snake daughters for start, Maran gor priestess can summon them. The bestiary rules says that they act as a subcult in earth temples. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Jose said:

No subcults? Uhm... Broad space to be creative, I am thinking about snake daughters for start, Maran gor priestess can summon them. The bestiary rules says that they act as a subcult in earth temples. 

Yes can be summoned by Maran Gor priestesses as Cult spirits (for a whopping 4 Rune points), worshipped as a subcult of Ernalda (which is why they have Ernalda magic).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

19 hours ago, David Scott said:

Maran Gor is a tiny cult, but important here as this where her Great Temple is and so dominates the local politics.

The Earthshakers are one of the most lethal and powerful forces at work in Dragon Pass during the Hero Wars.  They have the power to wipe out armies (the plural is deliberate as I have seen them destroy Sartar AND the Lunar Empire in one hit in the wargame).  They may not be great in hand to hand, but magically?  Nightmare fuel.

I would enjoy seeing the Tarsh Exiles getting a proper treatment.  Who doesn't want to join the Moon Haters?

50 minutes ago, Darius West said:

The Earthshakers are one of the most lethal and powerful forces at work in Dragon Pass during the Hero Wars.  They have the power to wipe out armies (the plural is deliberate as I have seen them destroy Sartar AND the Lunar Empire in one hit in the wargame).  They may not be great in hand to hand, but magically?  Nightmare fuel.

They are certainly a powerful force.

475993820_Wintertopfront.png.31378c55d1d350c4ddde7aca5cce09a0.png 1577303555_Wintertopback.png.5ad21e0cbc2120c3f96d97cd65880764.png

-----

On 10/13/2022 at 1:30 PM, David Scott said:

If you are interested in the Tarsh Exiles, these are great resources.

On 10/13/2022 at 6:49 AM, Jose said:

We know Maran is an important goddess for the Tarsh exiles,

In my opinion, Maran Gor is THE scary Earth Goddess.

Sure, Ty Kora Tek is the Goddess of the Dead, and Babeester Gor is the Goddess of the Vengeful Earth, but Maran Gor is scarier than both of them.

She is like the Earth version of Shargash, unruly, violent and vengeful, with a dollop of Underworld magic thrown in.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

For me the real fear of Maran Gor is that any Ernaldan bitter enough can switch from Ernalda to Maran Gor while keeping her Rune Pool. That means that if you make enough Ernaldans desperate enough, your fields will turn fallow, earthquakes are daily events and dinosaur stampedes become commonplace. The Shaker Temple shows what may happen if sweet Ernalda's husbands are not enough, and Earth needs to defend and avenge itself. Famine and devastation for all.

So Maran Gor is always a minority cult, except in very dire times. Then she is needed, and hopefully the survivors will be able to return to Ernalda's way.

Edited by JRE
  • Like 1