Gorangi Vak - Stormwalk Heroquest Path

Erol of Backford

A First Age Hero who revealed the Stormwalk heroquest path. Gorangi Vak: The hero who discovered the way that a human can ascend Stormwalk Mountain and tame a sky bull, with only a stick and a rope. Gorangi Vak who was the first person to tame the ferocious sky bulls that live on the top of Stormwalk Mountain. He rode upon this powerful flying mount, and
taught others to do so. People still do this today.

Is it published anywhere?

I don't think it is.

It isn't in Arcane Lore, which is the main source of minor HeroQuests.

The Book of Heortling Mythology mentions it under Gorangi Vak, but gives no real detail.

I am hoping to include it in a future supplement of Orlanthi HeroQuests, but that won't be for a while yet.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The original quest was in a Tales of the Reaching Moon, but I can't locate the actual copy on my shelves. It was written for the PenDragon Pass rules, and I ran it a few times when I was playing a campaign of PDP about 15 years ago. One Redaldan adventurer on the quest criticalled a seduction roll on the quest(or lust, maybe - it was a long time ago), and gave birth to the giant's child a few weeks later.

Edited by Russ Massey

5 hours ago, Russ Massey said:

The original quest was in a Tales of the Reaching Moon, but I can't locate the actual copy on my shelves.

TotRM #18.  It was a fairly extended quest as it included not only the quest on Stormwalk Mountain, but also taking the magic road from Sartar to get there.

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

I am hoping to include it in a future supplement of Orlanthi HeroQuests, but that won't be for a while yet.

I included a version in my Heortland submission to Chaosium.  Keys to the quest include climbing Stormwalk (following the spiral path which has plenty of hazards both physical and magical) not flying as the sky bulls readily spot flyers, and getting past Baskelos (a giant son of Storm Bull) and his great hound before you can try to approach, catch, and tame a sky bull.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 6:31 AM, Erol of Backford said:

A First Age Hero who revealed the Stormwalk heroquest path. Gorangi Vak: The hero who discovered the way that a human can ascend Stormwalk Mountain and tame a sky bull, with only a stick and a rope. Gorangi Vak who was the first person to tame the ferocious sky bulls that live on the top of Stormwalk Mountain. He rode upon this powerful flying mount, and
taught others to do so. People still do this today.

Is it published anywhere?

The next best source I can offer would be the Stafford House campaign notes on Redbird and his companions taking the magical road from Cliffhome to Stormwalk Mountain, which seems to be the first stage of the Gorangi Vak heroquest, with several of the participants succeeding in getting a Sky Bull mount while actually on their way to unmask Temertain in Seapolis.

Edited by Joerg
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

taking the magical road from Cliffhome to Stormwalk Mountain, which seems to be the first stage of the Gorangi Vak heroquest

It's a natural first step for those in Dragon Pass as it puts you into the Otherside and gets you to Stormwalk quickly.  
I don't think it's a required stage, though, particularly for those approaching from Heortland or Prax.  From Heortland, the initial stage is meeting at the temple at Bullflood and then following the Bullflood River upstream to the mountain.  That will take you past all the key Storm Bull shrines.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Anyone spot Irnar's Peak on a map? I assume its in or after Jab Hills as you move up the Bullflood?

No, not Heortland.  It's in the Colymar lands, part of the Starfire Ridges.

See Sartar Companion, p.42 (and map p.44):  Irnar’s Peak This high hill is sacred to Irnar the Lawspeaker, the Knowing Companion of King Sartar. Wherever Sartar met opposition by the local clans, Irnar was there to cite precedents, speak the truth, and show the people that there was another way. Lawspeakers seek Lhankor Mhy’s guidance atop this hill.

• Thanks 3