Su Lo Cha Trade Route

Erol of Backford

A caravan is being organized to cross the Wastes to far-off Kralorela! No previous caravans have ever returned, but the organizer assures his investors that this time will be different. Plenty of silver is being offered for caravan guards and guides – no questions asked!

How much silver would be offered? Without going north, based on what was discussed here, is the only way to make it by subterranean Dwarf Tram?

Pavis: Gateway to Adventure p.262

Someone from Issaries or Etyries could be trying to find an alternative to the Su Lo Cha trade route. That is why no caravan ever has returned. But it seems like a fun adventure. It would not be prioritary for the Empire, but the Governor of Pavis or Argrath of Pavis (depending on the date) would be quite interested if that route could be set up. 

Maybe others have reached Kralorela, but were not allowed to trade and starved there. Or they were so sick of the Wastes they returned by ship to Esrolia, without returning to Pavis.

• Helpful 1

While referring to an early map of a possible near future I found a detail to conjure with. No idea who sets up the Trading Ground (beyond the usual suspects) or what their target market might be . . . but it seems to be a fairly extensive and permanent establishment separate from historical lunar routes. Definitely worth sending an expedition now to prepare the site and reserve a sweet spot upwind from the latrines but not too far away. In my dream it's the biggest flea market tribal land will ever support, all kinds of great junk liberated from the Crack, the giant's stash, Orathorn, other worlds.

trading.png.e47555bc1812eb00bcd8fb49f81d99cd.png

• Like 2

singer sing me a given

17 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

What is Redhair Place (Trolls prefer redheads?)

It is probably meant to be a Lunar thing, but … I say they do.

We all know that humans are just Light-adapted Uz — and that this is somehow connected to the Enlo “curse”. Redheads are not so well-adapted to the light of the sun as other humans, and Uz — consciously or unconsciously — feel them to be closer kin, more like “normal” people.

(And of course, Uz see, black, white, shades of grey, and red only.)

• Thanks 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

26 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Mr. Martin do you have a source for that map?

Nomad Gods! Which means that its "inaccuracies" and "enigmas" may be true in the nebulous near future it shares with White Bear + Red Moon.

I found it revelatory because I never thought of Redhair Place as anything more than a specific spot cut into the steppe where the existing tribe goes to collect fresh hostages and start raising them as its own. The Caravan, meanwhile, is constantly on the move. Maybe it stops there to hand over the next leg westward to other merchant networks, in which case there would be significant permanent market infrastructure on site. But I never got that feeling from the Genertela box text . . . the sense is that this is less of a commercial hub with fixed hostels and warehouses and banks and clip shops, more of a ritual location that's only special on days the nomads pay their tithe.

The "great changes" are rarely discussed beyond noting the rise of Storm within Pentan religion. I wonder if something happens within the Redhair to (a) end the tithe and (b) spin out an independent trade network that if successful would rapidly require its own hub. In that scenario, Redhair Place goes away. Hello Trading Ground. 

And the people who will bring it to you are probably the Desert Trackers among others.

• Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

I like the idea that it was a trading post somewhat permanent in location in a Mongolian nomadic style, then became the Redhair Place with some semi permanent structures, possibly some of adobe? Thereafter a full blown village/town with an inn and stables, etc. as it transitioned into the Trading Ground following the end of the tithe. Are there dates for this anywhere? Any good source on Pentian tribes etc. I'll look at Nomad Gods for sure.

Also it is above the snow line so assume its somewhat secluded and or isolated in winters as fewer caravans would come through.

image.png.4fea46f2d04ff33bc7d85892713d9e8d.png image.png.308c837a610a7306b114d525b012e85b.png image.png.eb6f02389beec7004e880d9bc978a8ae.png

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, Erol of Backford said:

What is Redhair Place

See Guide p. 316: After the Night of Horrors, the nomads agreed to terms with the Lunars.  "One side effect of this activity was the annual tribute of red-headed infants sent by Oraya. These were reared by the Emperor’s household, and became the caravaneers of the famous Etyries Caravan, called the Red Hair Tribe by the nomads."

• Thanks 1

We also know from some hints, such as Eslas the Tracker fate after the Cradle (from the Coders), that many of these lunarized nomads will betray the Empire and join the nomads, using their knowledge to hurt it deeply.

Sheng probably was the first to open the trade routes, as he was overlord on both sides, and he used troops from one side against the other. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

It would be interesting if the Nomad Gods map actually reflects the Shadow Moon Empire era . . . 

Wonder who all those "hykimi" who've come out of the woodwork in the north might be, or will be...

• Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

2 minutes ago, Eff said:

Wonder who all those "hykimi" who've come out of the woodwork in the north might be, or will be...

Oh that one's easy: Kra Lor getting back to basics. There are whole dynasties over there the dragon-centric history presented to foreigners doesn't mention. Odds are pretty good one of them seeds this one . . . lucky they probably aren't bird people.

singer sing me a given

5 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Oh that one's easy: Kra Lor getting back to basics. There are whole dynasties over there the dragon-centric history presented to foreigners doesn't mention. Odds are pretty good one of them seeds this one . . . lucky they probably aren't bird people.

Therianthropy's really getting its day in the (Blood) Sun! I can't help but be reminded of RQ2 indicating that all "lycanthropes" have a connection to Chaos as a form.

• Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

28 minutes ago, Eff said:

I can't help but be reminded of RQ2 indicating that all "lycanthropes" have a connection to Chaos as a form.

RQ2 would never deliberately lie to us, would it. Some bits of it just haven't happened yet . . . after all, there's a lot of ruin in an empire and almost infinite hero war potential. Sheng or somebody might also pivot the north jumper and northern Pent blooms. "False plenty," the traditionalists scowl but opportunistic riders say it tastes great.

In separate work I'm reminded of the impact Robert Eisler's Man Into Wolf had on the occult late '70s when it got a mass-market reprint. Given the grindhouse texture the world takes on in the far northeastern verges something like totemic biker gangs might not be out of place. "Heavy" altamont vibes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

Related: my working assumption that the beautiful fantasy city with walls and minarets on the Nomad Gods map that illustrates Corflu — gods-forsaken Corflu, of all places! — reflects a potential future of that settlement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1