King and queen of Dragon Pass

DucksMustDie

Heh. There isn’t a King unless he marries the Queen. And if he ignores what the Queen wants, he might not be King for long. But there are things a King can do (wielding sovereignty) that the Queen can’t (embodying sovereignty). Which is a bit gender-essentialist, but those are the toys Greg was playing with.

FHQs are intrinsically less dynamic than KoDPs.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

My own take is that the sovereignty of Dragon Pass actually belongs to the Inhuman King (and why it is Dragon Pass and not Dragons' Pass). Why is it the Inhuman King and not Queen, if dragonewts are functionally sexless, and we assume genderless unless deviating from the Path? Ingrained prejudice.

After the EWF mess it was clear sovereignty was not good for the mystic well being of the IK, so it just chucked the kingship on Ironhoof, who is most definitely a he. Ironhoof did not want the job full time, despite momma and poppa being happy he had risen so high in the world, so rather than finding somebody else, preferently long lived or immortal, vested the sovereignty on the FHQ position, but being in this case archetypical male, she could not exercise it on her own, just bestow it, and share it once bestowed. The sovereignty seems to last while both are alive and more or less working together, so the FHQ is a key part and not a simple bestower of sovereignty.

The process also means that the dragonewts, beast valley and the Grazers will tend to support whoever achieves it, with its own political benefits. I suspect the dwarves have some first age agreements that still bind them to support the KoDP. 

14 hours ago, JRE said:

so it just chucked the kingship on Ironhoof, who is most definitely a he. Ironhoof did not want the job full time, … so [he] vested the sovereignty on the FHQ position

I always wondered whether the writers of RQ knew cockney rhyming slang. Give him a boa and Ironhoof could be the Feathered Horse Queen.

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Also...

On 12/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, JonL said:

I very much believe that if the FHQ at the time of the rebellion had been more into Kallyr than Fazzur, Starbrow would have become King of Dragon Pass. 

Look at where e everyone's eyes are directed in this illustration:

1873256f82a0c9973eeb73aec0ea6a6c.png

Edited by JonL

On 12/16/2022 at 6:31 PM, JRE said:

My own take is that the sovereignty of Dragon Pass actually belongs to the Inhuman King (and why it is Dragon Pass and not Dragons' Pass). Why is it the Inhuman King and not Queen, if dragonewts are functionally sexless, and we assume genderless unless deviating from the Path? Ingrained prejudice.

The Inhuman King is the only dragonewt who is not functionally sexless, and it lays literally all the eggs as if it were some sort of hive queen.  The IK should definitely be an IQ.    

On 12/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, DucksMustDie said:

I´m wondering: is it a joint rulership, can the king or queen make decisions alone or must they both be present to have authority? 

It's a full-throated struggle, based on the Ironhoof/Lady of the Wild, Arim/Sorana Tor, Sartar/Feathered Horse Queen, and Argrath/Inkarne relationships and what is implicit in them. The question is less "is this a joint rulership?" and more "can they stop trying to devour each other long enough to act politically?" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask