Centaurs - Arachne Solara as nature deity

Agentorange

I was looking at the Gloranthan bestiary and it mentions that centaurs worship Arachne Solara in her role of nature deity. I was curious what  form this worship took and what the benefits were to Centaurs. Arachne Solara isn't even mentioned in the RQG rulebook and there's no short form cult. now we may well get something in the upcoming cults book but previous gloranthan publications have always treated Arachne Solara as a rather unknowable, enigmatic sort of deity.

Which led me to wonder what practical form does the centaur worship take and what practical benefits do they get from it in terms of spirit magic, rune magic and so on ?

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Agentorange said:

Which led me to wonder what practical form does the centaur worship take and what practical benefits do they get from it in terms of spirit magic, rune magic and so on ?

Look at Ironhoof's magics (Smoking Runes p32) for what might be possible.  I really think that that this type of magic is only possible if you have undergone something like the Web Ritual (Fortunate Succession p62) and that for most Centaurs, they are lay members at best.

The practical form of the rites at the Wild Ruins have been included in the location description in numerous places, making the Darjiinian Stork Dance that (almost?) claimed one Red Emperor mask tame and harmless in comparison.

From the inside, (some of) these violent interactions inside the rites might be heroquest challenges, possibly randomly pitting participants against one another and transferring some immanent ability of the victims to the victors.

Other "victims" of these rites (possibly all of them) might experience a lesser apotheosis as guardians of the Otherworld, caretakers of the Web.

For centaurs acquiring legendary centaur abilities (i.e. some of Ironhoof's feats or abliities), the rite may double as an Axis Mundi contact with ancestral spirits providing magic, possibly including some sky rune magic.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, metcalph said:

Look at Ironhoof's magics (Smoking Runes p32) for what might be possible.  I really think that that this type of magic is only possible if you have undergone something like the Web Ritual (Fortunate Succession p62) and that for most Centaurs, they are lay members at best.

Smoking ruins or smoking runes ?. I don't own the former ( though I will  by the end of next month ) and I've not heard of the latter ?

7 hours ago, Joerg said:

The practical form of the rites at the Wild Ruins have been included in the location description in numerous places, making the Darjiinian Stork Dance that (almost?) claimed one Red Emperor mask tame and harmless in comparison.

Could you kindly  list a couple of relevant sources for me so I can nip off and do a bit of reading ? 👍

2 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Could you kindly  list a couple of relevant sources for me so I can nip off and do a bit of reading ? 👍

One quite dramatic description is in The Smoking Ruins p.34 (TSR), or alternatively in Dragon Pass: Land of Doom, A Gazetteer of Kerofinela, p.61. TSR has lots of encounters for the place, too, so it is the better resource. The Guide only replicates the map of the place, but not the rite.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

One quite dramatic description is in The Smoking Ruins p.34 (TSR), or alternatively in Dragon Pass: Land of Doom, A Gazetteer of Kerofinela, p.61. TSR has lots of encounters for the place, too, so it is the better resource. The Guide only replicates the map of the place, but not the rite.

Ah right, I don't own  The Smoking Ruins - though it's next on my geek list to buy.