BRP-based Mythic Russia?

Mysterioso

Well, in fact I do not want to create overlapping sourcebooks with "friendly" publishers like Firebird or D101. You may have noticed that areas that are relevant to the Amber Coast, such as Russia and Lithuania, as well as the Mongols, are not covered in great detail in Crusaders. This is simply because they are already well detailed in Mythic Russia and Birchbark Chronicles. You only need to convert the "rulesy" bits and you can use the background as is. I think Simon has at least part of the conversion ready somewhere inside his drawers.

What I would really like to know at this point is what future awaits Mythic Russia. It uses the HeroQuest 1 rules, which are admittedly a bit bugged at high level, and I think it could really, really benefit from an upgrade to HeroQuest 2, which would also make it more "generic" and easy to adapt to non-HeroQuest play, like the Sartar books published by Moon Design. On the other hand I was very disappointed when I saw that some ideas that appeared in Mythic Russia for Hero Point usage were not included in HQ2. I still consider MR partially superior to HeroQuest 2 under that point of view, because it allows you to use Hero Points to add to the story and not just to survive unlucky rolls.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Why would creating overlapping source books be an issue ? Granted, the background material would be almost identical but the rules related stuff would differ, after all they'd be aimed at different systems. The reason I buy source books is because I don't mind paying someone else to do the work for me. ;)

Perhaps the solutuion would be some kind of cross licencing agreement, you pay for the rights to the background material, and change the rules crunch to BRP.

Or we persuade Firebird etc etc to release their own BRP books ;t)

Why would creating overlapping source books be an issue ?

I suspect the question of IP ownership could easily become a problem, for exam-

ple if one of the companies involved changes hands or closes down - this could

become the kind of stuff that makes lawyers wealthy.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

mmmm.....see what you mean, problem is there are only so many ways you can say the same thing. If GURPS Russia presents a timeline of Russian history, then HQ/HW Russia presents a timeline of Russian history and then BRP Russia presents a timeline of Russian history odds are they're going to look pretty similiar......Because although the rules may vary wildly in how they deal with the material the background facts are going to stay the same. A samovar is going to be called a samovar in all 3 systems ;D

In my opinion, Mythic Russia is very easy to play using BRP. All you need to do is hand-wave the stats, skills and spells.

I have plans to convert the work that I did on Birchbark Chronicles to BRP, probably in an "Age of the Infidel" Merrie England supplement. That would probably contain BRP Mongols of all flavours, as well as all sorts of Saracen, Moor, Jew and similar folk.

It is quite easy to write a Russian supplement for BRP, but it would be very similar to Mythic Russia. It would be very difficult to make it better than Mythic Russia, though.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I have plans to convert the work that I did on Birchbark Chronicles to BRP, probably in an "Age of the Infidel" Merrie England supplement. That would probably contain BRP Mongols of all flavours.

I also have a BRP Mongols in the works, as a supplement to The Celestial Empire.

• 2 years later...

It is so easy to use Mythic Russia with any D100 game that conversion notes are hardly needed.

Backgrounds and Professions: These can be made using standard ones from Legend, RQ6 or BRP, just tweak those in Deus Vult, Merrie England or Stupor Mundi if you need a medieval flavour to them. Replace exotic skills with skills from the rulebooks or make new skills up.

Magic: Use standard magic from Legend/RQ6/BRP - Mythic Russia has very little in the form of special types of magic.

Cults: Use Divine Magic or Common Magic for the magic granted by the cults. Otherwise, the cults work just as RQ/Legend cults do. Again, replace Feats with spells or make new spells up.

Creatures: These would need stats for D100 games, but should be pretty easy to do.

And that's about it.

I suppose each cult could be converted to a D100 format, in the same way as I did the HW/HQ Gloranthan cults, but is that really necessary?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here