Cheat Sheet

Hey all

Second Topic

:)

Just curious if anyone created one, and if it helped them. When looking through the BRP (still trying to get all the nuances of the system down), I found that there are lots of little things. And while I know that it's not necessary to memorize all the little things in ANY rulebook, I was wondering if they found that jotting down notes helped keep their minds refreshed when reading other sections or when playing and rules questions came up.

Just curious about whether anyone did one, or if they would like to see one. Because I'm seriously considering doing one for me. I know that GM Screens are similar in idea, but I'm thinking of something more than just charts. Well...it will be charts, but more for the smaller nuances that can matter in play.

Something like this:

MOVE in Combat Round

0-5 meters + attack = no penalty to DEX Ranks

6-15 meters + attack = 1/2 DEX Rank

16-29 meters + attack = 1/4 DEX Rank

30 meters = no other action possible

Attacks = full skill rating; each extra attack at -30% and -5 DEX Ranks

Parry* = 100% skill rating, each subsequent at -30% on skill rating

Dodge* = 100% skill rating, each subsequent at -30% on skill rating

* Note that parries and doges cannot be combined in same Combat Round.

Thoughts?

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

Hi Bardic,

no I do not have a cheat sheet, but I have to correct an error in your list:

Attacks = full skill rating; each extra attack at -30% and -5 DEX Ranks

This is not correct, each extra Attack is "Difficult" and at -5 DEX ranks, but ONLY if it is a Missile weapon or any other weapon that has more than one Attack per round. Usually a character has only ONE attack per round (except modern Firearms or the character has a skill above 100%)

Have a look here for a better clarification:

Unofficial Errata

I think cheat sheets are a great idea. However, because of the many options available in the BRP book everybodies cheat sheet will look different.

As an example, referring to your example, I don't use DEX ranks, I use Strike Ranks, which is a completely different mechanic for combat.

Not saying its impossible, just that its going to be a lot of work to capture all of the possibilities. :)

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

EXACTLY! Brilliant observation. I, and the people I play with, have been playing the same game for like 15 years, so when picking up BRP and trying to learn it and thinking about how to teach other players to play it, a cheat sheet would absolutely not only help the GM but also the players. I didn't even think of that aspect.

I'm going to try to do some of it and post it up. See what people think.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has been sitting in the back of my skull making noise. Chaosium put what I think was a great GM screen packet for the Elric! line. The one reason why I liked it so much is that it put the weapons list and the equipment list on two card stock pieces of paper. It was incredibly convenient during game start up because handing them around both sped up game prep for the players and kept them busy as I was putting my thoughts together.

I've wanted something similar that gives simple, easily digestible synopsises for the game world. Maybe some small rules sheets hand outs as well? Many times my games are pick up games either with people who don't role-play a lot or people who do game but who happily play under many different systems. Quick rules reference sheets could be really useful.

What really held me back before was that I wanted something that would style be visually evocative of the setting and something that I could put relatively quickly. Happily, I've finally decided to actually put it together. I now have three nifty Young Kingdoms guide pages. They're very simple. Enough to give the player a sense of national character. I like them a lot. I'm going to do a combat guide, a spellcasting guide, a demon summoning guide and guides to the Lords of Law and Chaos. It also seems like a very easy way of making sure everyones on the same page regarding rules options and house rules too. Very neat.

70/420

Sounds good. Would love to see what you produce.

I've been hand writing mine out while going through the book. Also been writing out some magic spells as well as drafting out my campaign world, as well as drawing maps, and all that other fun stuff. Doing too many things at one....definitely a problem I have. :)

When I type out the cheat sheet, I'll post it up and leave it open for review.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

Here are two that I've already uploaded to my photobucket account. They'll give you an idea of what I'm going for.

godlawandchaos.jpg

TheSouthernContinent.jpg

I'll likely be changing the Lords of Law one a bit. Not quite happy with it yet. Also, please note that the text is largely lifted from the rulesbook and from the Gods of Law monograph. It is not my own.

70/420

Like the fonts a lot on the second one. This is full of good information too. It would give people a little bit of the way things are and how things are set up. Good stuff man. Really good stuff. As a player, I love hand outs, don't know why, just think they are neat.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

Thanks bardic. :)

It would give people a little bit of the way things are and how things are set up.

Yeah, a lot of people haven't read Moorcock and are unfamiliar with his style of fiction. I'm hoping this will be a nice easy way to establish a baseline for a shared game world. Instead of passing a book around and spending too much time reading a whole block of information, this will be a simple sheet. Heck, I'm pretty sure it's going to be of great use for myself. Now when someone asks me what's going on in Filkhar they won't have to see my glassy vacant eyes and watch me wipe the drool off of my chin as my brain slowly kicks in and activates that tiny bit of grey sludge where I stored away all my Filkharian information. Now I can give myself a quick reminder by glancing at this sheet. :)

call me stupid, but what is the Gods of Law monograph and which ruleset are you referencing to? Looks interesting, nice teaser! ;)

I took the information for The Southern Continent strait from SB5. I basically only edited for length.

Gods of Law is one of the monographs discontinued when Chaosium and Mongoose made their Eternal Champion deal. It was paired with Gods of Chaos. There were other monographs as well, Old Hrolmarl, Hawkmoon, maybe one more. You can now find Gods of Law available as a free download over at Stormbringerrpg.com.

So, I regard Gods of Law very highly. This is probably partly due to it and Gods of Chaos coming out as I was reaching the point of shelving playing in the Young Kingdoms. It had become stale and played out for me and while I still felt nostalgic for the setting, I had absolutely zero inspiration of what to do next there. Not only was Gods of Chaos packed full of fun ideas and twists, for me it allowed a healthy and welcome reexamination of the setting. It's companion though, Gods of Law, now there's a book I love. It made gaming in the Young Kingdoms as a devotee of Law an actually rational thing to do and did it in a way that wasn't 'demon summoning lite' like the Virtues system in the early Stormbringer editions. It also embraced some of the cringe worthy stuff in the older books and reworked them in interesting, non cringe inducing, ways (I'm looking at you Goldar).

Gods of Law introduce things like Focus Skills, which are unearthly effective skills for followers of Law. God's of Law also introduces a lesser pantheon of Lawful beings, Virtues, that can be summoned by an initiate of Law. These Virtues provide enlightenment to those who summon them, granting them boons and abilities through the grace of Law. Gods of Law, like Gods of Chaos, is also jam packed full of fun setting ideas.

70/420

Okay, here is the first version. Please give comments and criticisms, as well as any notice on errors.

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=390

When looking through it, do you think that it would be a good tool for new and seasoned players/gamemasters? Does it flow? Does it contain the information needed? Could there be more information put on it?

When designing it, I was just thinking of putting in the bare=bones essentials just to get play underway, something so when the Gamemaster needed something, the player could just look at the sheet quickly and get the answer to the basic rules questions, leaving the specifics to the individual gamemaster. Well, let me know what you guys think.

Game on!

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

Awesome, thanks for the compliment. If you do see anything please let me know. Doing these kind of projects keep me sane (saneRRRRR) at work. ;)

Never read stormbringer. Always looked like a neat world, and an interesting concept. Maybe one day I'll take a look at it.

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

A love this cheat sheet mate, I think it hits the spot. Recently I found the old "Game Aids" sheets from RQ3, it was a small booklet that was really a GM screen, this reminds me alot of it. Adding tips about Char Gen, weapon tables, and perhaps spell lists would be grand, perhaps a few more spot rules. You've done a good thing here.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I think I just saw a typo on the second page, you referred to the actions you can make within a combat round as a) Move B) Attack c) Combat Action - shouldn't the later be Non-Combat Action?

On page one under 'Experience Checks' you probably should add in Experience Checks via Research/Training as well

Other than that, it's a handy few pages, quite well done

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"