Heat Metal on Weapons

hasevir

Now for really wacky damage get some iron daggers and that lodril spirit spell of heating metal.. +13d6 just from being hot. Now imagine a flying sorcerous familliar dagger and a sorcerous version of that heat metal spell. Then a swarm of those flying hot familliar daggers. A tiny swarm of 10 should be able to clean out the whole snakepipehollow in a single sweep. And yes the daggers can technically be broken but luckily sorcerers are known for their ability, damage and protection buffs.

Atleast i think we now know what those dartgames look like. Not even need to be daggers or darts, might aswell be just iron balls. Not even baseball playing giants are safe hitting but a single attacker per round and it would destroy the baseball bat-tree.

17 minutes ago, hasevir said:

+13d6 just from being hot

I think the iron would melt?! At 8 points bronze melts per the Cult Compendium... I am guessing.

Also d6 intensity is not likely instant damage at d6 each point it takes a minute to reach each point of intensity or so I am guessing for the battle/spirit magic to increase?

If bronze melts at 1675 and that is at 8 points, each point is about 209 degrees?

Iron is 2800 so at 13 you'd be at just under that and so the iron would be soft and be untempered and you might even lose enchantments?!

But if it works the person in say plate mail would likely turn into a very scorched bratwurst!

I do recall a boss fight from when I was a kid where this guy threw globs of molten metal at you. he must have had an innate resist heat and heat meta to have been able to do that

What fun!

image.png.6d5a6b7a6bc603734a6052802dfa7253.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

8 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I think the iron would melt?! At 8 points bronze melts per the Cult Compendium... I am guessing.

Also d6 intensity is not likely instant damage at d6 each point it takes a minute to reach each point of intensity or so I am guessing for the battle/spirit magic to increase?

If bronze melts at 1675 and that is at 8 points, each point is about 209 degrees?

Iron is 2800 so at 13 you'd be at just under that and so the iron would be soft and be untempered and you might even lose enchantments?!

But if it works the person in say plate mail would likely turn into a very scorched bratwurst!

I do recall a boss fight from when I was a kid where this guy threw globs of molten metal at you. he must have had an innate resist heat and heat meta to have been able to do that

What fun!

image.png.6d5a6b7a6bc603734a6052802dfa7253.png

15d6 melt, 14d6 for tempering, 13d6 just really hot?

And yeah bronze melts easy, glass and stone being better materials but evidently the very best is iron.

1 minute ago, hasevir said:

15d6 melt, 14d6 for tempering, 13d6 just really hot?

And yeah bronze melts easy, glass and stone being better materials but evidently the very best is iron.

I'd drop at least 2d6 from melt to temper.

And there's a range of "workable" heat... may be a 4ish d6 range?

That still leaves you at 9d6 (avg damage 31.5) which is... pretty damned deadly.

C'es ne pas un .sig

From the new Red Book of Magic Writeup 

Heat Metal

. 5 Points: Copper, gold, silver, aluminum, bronze, and iron become soft for hammering and smithing.

. 6 Points: Copper, gold, silver, aluminum, bronze, and iron melt

Major nerf in terms of damage it looks like. Although it does actually seem feasible to melt metal in a dramatic situation. Like some Lodril Rune-Lord or Priest casting Heat Metal 6 to melt a cage or something, double awesome if they are agimori and just ignore or weaponize the molten cage because 1/2 fire damage. 

Edited by Scotty
copyright text

1 hour ago, g33k said:

That still leaves you at 9d6 (avg damage 31.5) which is... pretty damned deadly.

You need a heat metal 10 whatever to get there. Maybe in a matrix? Plus it takes time to heat up whatever is the object, deadly yes but the caster could be killed in one blow long before the damage is applied?

Does the 1 minute or round per intensity still apply?

34 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

You need a heat metal 10 whatever to get there. Maybe in a matrix? Plus it takes time to heat up whatever is the object, deadly yes but the caster could be killed in one blow long before the damage is applied?

If the spell-description above is complete, then 1 minute total time, not per-Intensity.
That's a longer pre-combat buff than most, but not at all out of line for Sorcery workings &c.

Obviously, one isn't likely to take a full 1-minute casting-time in mid-combat (except in larger battles, with (e.g.) SMU & Crater-Makers &c involved).

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

and it is "touch", aka that is not a good spell to fight against someone who is conscious.

You just have to move , and "hop" the spell is no more, without any magic...

this spell is efficiant against very very big armored guys (>30....40...50 ?  SIZ)  who then are not able to feel that you touch them, or for entraved people, but except if you are sadisticc, why will you burn a prisonner ?

or just it is a spell for smiths 😛