Nochet: Queen of Cities - NOW ON SALE!

jajagappa

Congratulations indeed @jajagappa – I had high expectations for this and they've been well and truly surpassed!

I bought it as soon as it went live on DriveThru and have been devouring it; the flavour is already fantastic although it will take days to digest properly (like some of the more exotic Nochet pies described on p. 240 – I get the feeling that pies are to Nochet as cheeses are to Imther).

The inclusion of the Under-City makes Nochet literally three-dimensional, and allows the trolls and trollkin of the Dark Warrens (my favourite Nochet inhabitants) to come into their own alongside various sewer-based thieves, snake cultists, newtling bandits, etc.

The fact that it also includes accessible material for running campaigns (Encounter Tables, Rumor Tables and even tables for identifying your Best Friend and Worst Foe) makes this book so much more than a city guide. Although the default setting of early 1623 doesn't neatly match either the old HeroQuest timeline or the new RQG one, it gives GMs the option of starting adventurers off as recently-initiated young adults for a more 'zero-to-hero' / 'growing up fast in the big bad city' campaign style. This includes resources for playing through the 1623-4 Siege of Nochet as part of a campaign, rather than as RQG's brief piece of Family History dice-rolling.

Even the more prosaic 'Bronze Age archaeology sim' descriptions are worth working through for the flashes of entertaining weirdness amid the many myths and stories that are scattered throughout and for the rich range of potential adventure seeds, as well as for some wonderful old-style RQ Easter eggs / teasers – like the Apple Lane hint in the text on building D88 in Dearno.

In short... the Queen of Cities has finally got the treatment she deserved!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AlexS said:

I had high expectations for this and they've been well and truly surpassed!

Glad you're enjoying it!

1 hour ago, AlexS said:

I get the feeling that pies are to Nochet as cheeses are to Imther

Whether or not there was something "unique" to Nochet cooking was a definite question - one of those cultural nuances I like to look at. Small, handheld, easy-to-eat pies came to mind, and I went with that. But, clearly influenced by all the different flavors coming in from both the east (Teshnos with fiery spices) and the west (Seshnela/Ralios, possibly with exotic herbs or grains).

1 hour ago, AlexS said:

The fact that it also includes accessible material for running campaigns (Encounter Tables, Rumor Tables and even tables for identifying your Best Friend and Worst Foe) makes this book so much more than a city guide.

As with the Imther book, I like to find ways that everyone can really embrace and use the work. 🙂 I think it came out pretty well. The Best Friend... section I came up with for my own Nochet campaign, and it was a lot of fun working out with my players who these people were and how they connected together. 

1 hour ago, AlexS said:

Although the default setting of early 1623 doesn't neatly match either the old HeroQuest timeline or the new RQG one

The map developed pre-RQ, but somehow I felt it had to be set after Samastina's ascension, so 1623 became the timeframe. It does put it before the RQG target starting date, but I think that works ok. You can take it as-is, and just figure that things have been fixed/repaired by 1625. Or, you can play through the Siege and see what happens everywhere.  Or... you're at liberty to smash up areas from the Siege or Harrek, start major building projects in an area, or alter to fit your needs - and that all works just fine since the map reflects 2 years before and is no longer up-to-date! 🙂 

1 hour ago, AlexS said:

as well as for some wonderful old-style RQ Easter eggs / teasers – like the Apple Lane hint in the text on building D88 in Dearno.

There's a few of those... 😉 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AlexS said:

I bought it as soon as it went live on DriveThru and have been devouring it; the flavour is already fantastic although it will take days to digest properly ...

In short... the Queen of Cities has finally got the treatment she deserved!

If you have an opportunity to Rate/Review it on DriveThru, please do! They are greatly appreciated there. 🙂 

@jajagappaWhat relationship does this book  have to the Holy Ciuntry material that you have in Chaosium's publication queue? 

I uderstand that Nochet, Queen of Cities is a sandbox of msterial underlying your own campaign, and I have the impression that the forthcoming publication by Chaosium will overlap it but be less sandbox-y , will emphasize different details,   and perhaps be wider in geographic scope.

Are you at liberty to comnent on that?

• Like 2

I will buy it as soon as payday next week. The setting date is actually perfect as my Six Seasons/CotD-campaign is in late 1621. I will probably have Kallyr or someone else sending the PCs to Nochet on some mission. Maybe they can take part in the Battle of Pennel Ford and Andrew Logan Montgomerys upcoming Nochet scenario/s as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

What relationship does this book  have to the Holy Ciuntry material that you have in Chaosium's publication queue? 

I uderstand that Nochet, Queen of Cities is a sandbox of msterial underlying your own campaign, and I have the impression that the forthcoming publication by Chaosium will overlap it but be less sandbox-y , will emphasize different details,   and perhaps be wider in geographic scope.

Are you at liberty to comnent on that?

The only part that I have in the queue is specifically a Heortland book. I believe there is an Esrolia book in development (so broader than just Nochet), and I know it utilized my map as a foundation for any Nochet-related contents. And that's all I can tell you in that regard.

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

As I do not have more space I buy all RPGs only as pdf, and in that case Drivethru has several advantages, specially if you buy products from different publishers. Here we are effectively comparing pdf only vs pdf only sales, so it is fair to me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I think most people buy Chaosiums products from Chaosium or in their local game stores.

Sometimes I buy Chaosium thru DTRPG when there's a special sale on DTRPG (such as when the Stafford Library books got several "Deal of the Day" offers in close succession).  Also, there's the Jonstown Compendium, which is DTRPG-only (and is what's relevant to this thread).

As I do not have more space I buy all RPGs only as pdf, and in that case Drivethru has several advantages, specially if you buy products from different publishers. Here we are effectively comparing pdf only vs pdf only sales, so it is fair to me.

I'm not sure "fair" really enters; but I don't think it's accurate...  JC sales are a "captive market" for DTRPG, they get 100% of those sales.
"Official" Chaosium products (such as the Prosopaedia) sell not only via DTRPG, but from Chaosium and via FLGS's.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/26/2023 at 2:36 AM, JRE said:

It is still outselling (in Drivethru) the Prosopaedia, so there is that...

And still hanging in at #2 several days later!!!

I've been very pleased by the response! And for those who've had the opportunity to pick it up and are enjoying it, do consider stopping by drivethrurpg to add a Rating/Review - they are greatly appreciated, and do help others with their purchase decisions. 🙂 

(Plus there might be some added bonus content if it reaches 20 Ratings/10 Reviews.)

• Like 1

I picked it up yesterday and almost, almost took it to the local printer... I didn't read it yet but can't wait to integrate all the nefarious plots cooked up!

Bluebird, Runewolf, Aeolians, the Caprati, Halcyon, the Giant's Mill Stone, some great stuff coming up, its like Pavis and Sanctuary combined but on steroids!

Might we see an option to POD in the near future!? Was it at Electrum or something, which you must be close...

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Might we see an option to POD in the near future!? Was it at Electrum or something, which you must be close...

Generally works need to reach Electrum level and then get approval from Chaosium. The likelihood for this one is good. 

its like Pavis and Sanctuary combined but on steroids!

Well, it is the largest city in Glorantha!

Bluebird, Runewolf, Aeolians, the Caprati, Halcyon, the Giant's Mill Stone

You won't find all of those, but certainly has the Aeolians and the Caprati. Bear in mind with the latter (and the du Tumerines) that I have recast them to fit within the larger framework of an Esrolian city, though hopefully have kept the spirit of their creation.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 3:50 AM, jajagappa said:

I've been very pleased by the response! And for those who've had the opportunity to pick it up and are enjoying it, do consider stopping by drivethrurpg to add a Rating/Review - they are greatly appreciated, and do help others with their purchase decisions. 🙂 

(Plus there might be some added bonus content if it reaches 20 Ratings/10 Reviews.)

I would love to, but your works are heavy, and require an investment of time. It would feel wrong to write a review after just browsing. Mine will come probably next week, if I can spend some evenings reading.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JRE said:

I would love to, but your works are heavy, and require an investment of time. It would feel wrong to write a review after just browsing. Mine will come probably next week, if I can spend some evenings reading.

Enjoy at your own pace! And while I like to encourage reviews as a benefit to others considering the works, I want people to add them if/when they are ready to do so.