Caprati & Du Tumerine

Erol of Backford

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Nochet does not need to import grain from outside of the Holy Country. Esrolia supplies more than enough grain ...

I expect there's always going to be a market for rare and exotic ingredients, "premium" varietals, etc... Red rice, black rice, etc etc etc.

Do quinoa or amaranth (or other pseudocereals) exist in Glorantha?  Does teff, or sorghum?

Nochet may not need to import grain... but I bet they do so anyhow!  😉

C'es ne pas un .sig

34 minutes ago, g33k said:

xs54I expect there's always going to be a market for rare and exotic ingredients, "premium" varietals, etc... Red rice, black rice, etc etc etc.

Do quinoa or amaranth (or other pseudocereals) exist in Glorantha?  Does teff, or sorghum?

Nochet may not need to import grain... but I bet they do so anyhow!  😉

Nochet has enough foreign minorities that may require the grains of their homelands for their rites or even sacrifices, which means that a certain small amount of such grain or pseudocereal is bound to be imported. Outside of catastrophic harvest failures like the Windstop (that undid the normal sailing winds, too) or in order to supply majore miitary undertakings there is no conceivable benefit in delivering grain in bulk to Nochet other than from the hinterland.

Would Meldektown wish to import any grain? The Aeolians grow pretty much the same types of harvest as the Esrolians, so probably not. The Quinpolic League probably imports much of their grain from the Tanier River valley, in exchange for preserved or processed fish, or in payment for the luxuries or military necessities passed on. While Tanisor grows rice, they don't appear to have a native grain goddess for that. (But niether does the land goddess of Peloria provide rice, it is only specialized grain goddesses or ancestral spirits who support these grains.)

Nolos may have some significant agriculture of its own, but the scattered Pasos islands would have to struggle to support their population with home-grown grain. Weirdly, it is the Nolosite Du Tumerines who went for the grain privilege?

• Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

in exchange for preserved or processed fish

Our boy Rollo is all over that. He's got a shuinjō from the Caprati to move dried fish from Backford to Nochet. Rollo is from Trade Talk  12 p.13

They traded wine for salt with the tribesmen somewhere near Vent from their shoreline saltpans and then went to Backford to salt the fish (salmon) swimming up the Syphon that the Strom Bull's were pulling out with nets. Every fish that gets through feeds a broo?

This would have been followed by salted fish back to Nochet from Backford. If they can get the salt pans established at Backford they can keep the wine and use their own salt on the fish.

I am guessing that Rollo would use the wharves designated as Caprati if they came to Nochet as we have Mr. Ortosso working for the Caprati all around the Bay.

(I have decided his name was originally Oranaeo, from but he changed it slightly so he's not known to be of that house. With the name Oranaeo he does have ties to the Great Temple at Ezel... and he likely runs a little gem smuggling on the side? 

Also I see the House Oranaeo is somewhat between the Caprati area and the Knowledge Temple... need to sort out how the Caprati and Oranaeo are working together...

I see the Du Tumerie's becoming jealous and setting up a smuggling ring and or a small pirating enterprise to thwart the Caprati advances...

image.png.60b91448f04f2814647c3cacd914d5a0.png image.png.411b171dccc83f786e2391855b7e5230.png

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

move dried fish from Backford to Nochet

Bear in mind that there is a considerable trade already in Nochet of both dried and salted fish, as well as fish oil. House Loma (D137) has a strong control over trade in the latter.

"Fishers bring their catches in via the Fish Market of Helamta, the River Market of Tershis, or the beaches and salting yards of Backside and Saltstone. Salted and dried fish, as well as fish oil, are important commodities through those seasons when other meat is scarcer."

What you need are the unique properties of Backford fish to make them interesting. Perhaps salt from the Syphon tastes different (maybe it's the MSG of the day? Or has some inherent property that enhances a passion?) or maybe it's the fish (there are the famed devilfish that come up out of the Toe Hole and then go "up" stream along the Syphon)?

I think this was discussed in the Backford thread a while back. Pink salt from the newly developed salt pans, oyster sauce and of course fresh and dried salmon.

I'll look into the demon fish

Are there pandas in Glorantha and if so should there not be a jack-o'bear panda? Not related to the Syphon but could come out of the Print, maybe a bear with an eagle or hawks head but a bit oversized for the bear body it is shouldered on?

Thunder Rebels p.228: Varanorlanth caught Sashaka the Devil Fish using Dursela’s stinger as hook, Fa’s sinews as a line, Grar’s heart as a plumb, Iti’s feathers as a lure, and Rurudram’s carapace as a boat.

Might be it could be used as a Hero Quest to gain powers associated with hunting, fishing, boating and crafting. Its a nice rabbit hole of course. Possibly any fish caught while on the quest would fetch a 10 fold price or actually be a devil fish of sorts... a fish that spits napalm gelatin which if harvested may be used for all sorts of nefarious Caprati schemes... 

Nochet: Queen of Cities:

The demented underworld of Nochet wants weird fish... Is there a Chinatown of sorts in Nochet? Of course there is: Little Kralora. I see H60. The Helamta Stores. Hall Serdrodayo maintains this set of warehouses at the southern end of the Long Dock. As ships from Handra and Kralorela frequently dock at this end, the warehouses (including H60a and H60b) often hold goods from or bound to those distant lands.

H61. Temple of the Rich Twins.

Where is H73. Gems of Ornate Indulgence?

Back to Backford and hellspawn. Other sorts of hell spawn could also appear, octopus, eels, almost anything, a rubber tie... (how to explain a tire).

Lee Kum Kee Panda Oyster Sauce 9oz, 1 of 6 1585256996854-png.1489571

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

maybe a bear with an eagle or hawks head but a bit oversized

This is a very Praxian dodge: owlbears are taboo, so we’ll get out the black and white paint and camouflage it. 😉

Edited by mfbrandi
trimmed, formatted
  • Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Maybe puffer fish wound be a good export from Backford to Nochet slightly tainted... they actually explode and the spines/quills shoot out and poison you? They could be used in assassination plots in Nochet or Boldhome... put the fish in a pot and it explodes while being cooked... it must be eaten fresh so its kept alive... explodes on death chaos feature. They could also be a rare stone artifact from the Stone Wood for jaded rich clients... lots of opulences in Nochet that the Caprati would be wanting to make a profit on?

image.png.693290cca60313b21a7eef1ceec22447.png