BRP Modern ( The Old TOP SECRET RPG)

Bleddyn

I was in touch with another grognard while we were wistfully reminiscing about the old days and the subject of TSR's TOP SECRET came up. Later I was thinking "now there is a game that could easily convert to BRP". Anyone else thought about this?

;t)

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

"Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle" ?! WTF!

Never heard about that game, it was about 5 years too early for me. And then, I wonder it it was available in Europe. But "Sprechenhaltestelle" is still a good laugh nowadays. What wanted they to say? What was the english word they tried to translate?

Why is it translations were and still are done that bad in RPG's? Like "Maschinezeit". It's sad, really.

But anyway, it looks like a nice grounded spy game ... :)

I was in touch with another grognard while we were wistfully reminiscing about the old days and the subject of TSR's TOP SECRET came up. Later I was thinking "now there is a game that could easily convert to BRP". Anyone else thought about this?

;t)

I'd say Top Secret/S.I. would be a better fit for conversion. The original Top Secret system isn't nearly as compatible with BRP. Plus the old Top Secret adventures tended to be dungeon crawls with espinage trappings.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

"Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle"

"Sprechenhaltestelle" ... =O=O=O

Well, this will keep my mind busy for a while with futile attempts to find an expla-

nation for this incredible term. ;D

My first helpless guesses would be something like "phone booth", or perhaps even

"switchboard" ...

And I thought the German in 2300 AD was weird ... :)

Edit.: My favourite bad online translation program offers "speech stop" as the trans-

lation - and now I wonder what that could be ...

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

No doubt the majority of the adventures where crawls and combat oriented. But with the recent "Shadow Warrior" theme in the movies from the Borne trilogy to the Body of Lies the stressing of field craft and information collection is coming into vogue. Back in the early to mid eighties what did you expect for 32 pages for $6.00. Besides at 12 years of age back then I was more a wanna-be commando then. My sidenote about TS/SI is for me just didn't capture the feel.

BRP to me is the ideal system to capture "update" of old Top Secret.

Presently I have everything from old TS save modules TS005 - Operation: Orient Express & TS006 - Operation: Ace of Clubs. I am hoping to have a complete collection soon.

Edited by Bleddyn

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I never played Top Secret, but I imagine that SpyCraft wouldn't be terribly difficult to convert to BRP. I would definitely be interested in that type of setting for BRP.

Considering this day an age it wouldn't have to look far for inspiration.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

No doubt the majority of the adventures where crawls and combat oriented. But with the recent "Shadow Warrior" theme in the movies from the Borne trilogy to the Body of Lies the stressing of field craft and information collection is coming into vogue.

The dungeon claw was a sign of the system, not the times. Other, espioe RPGs of the era were not as bad.

Back in the early to mid eighties what did you expect for 32 pages for $6.00. Besides at 12 years of age back then I was more a wanna-be commando then.

Well, I spent a few buck more and bought the James Bond 007 RPG, which IMO is probably the best system for the genre.

My sidenote about TS/SI is for me just didn't capture the feel.

I know what you mean. I only mentioned S.I. because it's game mechanics would adapt more readily to BRP than the original. Some of the orgnial's game mechancis, like HTH and Surprise Values and "class" and "levels" would be more problematic when converting to BRP.

Presently I have everything from old TS save modules TS005 - Operation: Orient Express & TS006 - Operation: Ace of Clubs. I am hoping to have a complete collection soon.

VG's James Bond was more of a "Hollywood Espionage System" in my opinion. Espionage meets Playboy. But I did plunk down the cash for it as well.

The dungeon claw was a sign of the system, not the times. Other, espioe RPGs of the era were not as bad.

Well, I spent a few buck more and bought the James Bond 007 RPG, which IMO is probably the best system for the genre.

I know what you mean. I only mentioned S.I. because it's game mechanics would adapt more readily to BRP than the original. Some of the orgnial's game mechancis, like HTH and Surprise Values and "class" and "levels" would be more problematic when converting to BRP.

Edited by Bleddyn

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Speaking of mechanics ... the martial arts system in TS was simple and fast.... suggestions for BRP?

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I never played Top Secret, but I imagine that SpyCraft wouldn't be terribly difficult to convert to BRP. I would definitely be interested in that type of setting for BRP.

I just have recently heard about spycraft. Its d20 right?

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

VG's James Bond was more of a "Hollywood Espionage System" in my opinion. Espionage meets Playboy. But I did plunk down the cash for it as well.

Don't let the babes and the tuxedo fool you. That system handles modern combat as well as anything else I've seen. Yes, there are a few tweaks in the PCs favor (in a Bond adventure they need 'em). But you can do ANYTHING you can do in TS with JB.

I sed to do commando raids, and training excercises with it, even converteing some stuff for Delta Force.

Speaking of mechanics ... the martial arts system in TS was simple and fast.... suggestions for BRP?

Depends on what youwant. The basic martial arts system from RQ/BRP (roll under skill, double damae) is simple and fast. Not very interesting, but simple and fast.

You could also add in the Unarmed Combat Power from the powers section to reflect expert martila artists.

Or you could try adapting something like the martial arts system for HERO.

I think recently one of the most compelling pieces espionage literature was " See No Evil" by Robert Baer.

As far a VG games combat system... yes prior to my tours in Afghanistan it did seem to simulate it fairly well, but hindsight now I lean more towards TS or a d100.

If I may ask what were the merit of the VG James bond system that you found superior, Maybe I am missing something?

Edited by Bleddyn

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Depends on what youwant. The basic martial arts system from RQ/BRP (roll under skill, double damae) is simple and fast. Not very interesting, but simple and fast.

You could also add in the Unarmed Combat Power from the powers section to reflect expert martila artists.

Or you could try adapting something like the martial arts system for HERO.

I really like the TS putting the sheet of paper up against a matrix and going: "you three Attacks and two defenses" and slugging it out. Yet, that doesn' handle the reality of modern day unarmed combat. But with BRP how does one handle say a "combatives" (MAA style) Strikes, Locks, Chokes & Throws. Using simple combinations like Inside punch intrecept/choke that in blinding speed turns into a takedown with knee to the groin.?

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

But with BRP how does one handle say a "combatives" (MAA style) Strikes, Locks, Chokes & Throws. Using simple combinations like Inside punch intrecept/choke that in blinding speed turns into a takedown with knee to the groin.?

I think the best place to find an answer would be the Dragon Lines supplement with

its focus on the martial arts, the BGB itself does not cover this very well.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I think the best place to find an answer would be the Dragon Lines supplement with

its focus on the martial arts, the BGB itself does not cover this very well.

I will look into it

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I just have recently heard about spycraft. Its d20 right?

SpyCraft is a D20 derivative game from the same company that makes FantasyCraft. I'm personally not a big fan of most D20 based games, but SpyCraft definitely has its merits. I really like how Hacking Computers and Chases are handled in SpyCraft which gives it a tense cinematic feel without being overly complex.

"Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle" ?! WTF!

... What wanted they to say? What was the english word they tried to translate?

Ich kenne nur (nür?) ein bisschen Deutch, but I always interpreted it as "Obviously German-soundiing word that wants to mean 'place where speech stops' and has something to do with silence and secrets or something".

Ich kenne nur (nür?) ein bisschen Deutch, but I always interpreted it as "Obviously German-soundiing word that wants to mean 'place where speech stops' and has something to do with silence and secrets or something".

Well, we will never find out. I would now say this is a 'Datensenke' , which means it's something like a Black Hole ;)

It Could be I am sure Chaosium is happy I am purchasing so much of their inventory, I am also thinking about watching for the D101 "The Company" to see what it is about.

Edited by Bleddyn

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

If I may ask what were the merit of the VG James bond system that you found superior, Maybe I am missing something?

Comapred toTS? Quite a few. Here is a partial list:

1) Shot placement and skill play a major factor in weapon effectiveness. In TS (as with most RPGs) it is mostly random.

2) Stopping power. The WIL roll that people have to make when it means that someone who gets shot can just ingore the wound and shoot back (until his hit points/Life Levels run out).

3) Much easier way to handle modfiers. In TS, there are a lot of modfiers, and most are not very user friendly. For instance some weapon range modfiers are things like -147. Figuring out the chance to hit can get tedious when you have to work out several modfiers,, and several shots. For instance, the automatic weapons fire modifier is something like -11% per shot fired. -10% per shot woudl have been a lot more player friendly. Ease Factors are much, much easier.

4) No hit points.

THat are just a few things.

Now, to be fair to Top Secret, it was written in 1980, and pioneered a new genre for roleplaying. Soit deserves credit for doing many things first, even if they way it did somethings left a lot to be desired.

I really like the TS putting the sheet of paper up against a matrix and going: "you three Attacks and two defenses" and slugging it out. Yet, that doesn' handle the reality of modern day unarmed combat.

Don7t let the tables fool you. Despite the huge number of possible targets zones to strike, the combat system was basically a form of "rock-paper-scissors". Skill didn't play much of a factor.

I

But with BRP how does one handle say a "combatives" (MAA style) Strikes, Locks, Chokes & Throws. Using simple combinations like Inside punch intrecept/choke that in blinding speed turns into a takedown with knee to the groin.?

If you wanted to do that, you would ned to expand on things. There is amartila arts supplement mentoid eailer thad adds those types of maneuver to the game.

Now, if you want to add in the tactical elemt of matching maneuvers and counter maneuvers, I7d suggest typing to adapt the system used in the Streetfighter RPG.

it gave each maneuver a speed rating (determiend by the maneuver, your Dex, and your skill). Higher Speed would go off first, and some maneuvers could be "aborted to". For instance you cold "abort" a slow, powerful, attack for a faster block. it had rules for combinations, too. While many of "arcade game" aspects would need to be dropped, the underlying idea could be used in BRP.