RQ2 leatherette cover design

Zac

1 hour ago, SDLeary said:

Calling Dr. Meints @Rick Meints

Yes, Rick will likely have the authoritative info.
I think the pictured version is the "Reston Publishing" edition.

3 hours ago, Zac said:

... but I could have sworn that the version I had also had a gold rune on the front cover. 

I suspect you are conflating a memory or image of the Mongoose "MRQ2" edition.

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, Zac said:

Does anyone know if there were more than one leatherette cover for the RQ2 rules? 

I have found this image

RQ2.jpg.bbad7b6561538ddd0de8a245acda4132.jpg

but I could have sworn that the version I had also had a gold rune on the front cover. 

This is the picture given in the Updates for the RuneQuest Classic Kickstarter describing the Leatherette version of the rulebook (Update 5) :
966c88c05e640c053f7817380bd9153c_origina

Edited by Oracle

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

This is the picture given in the Updates for the RuneQuest Classic Kickstarter describing the Leatherette version of the rulebook (Update 5) :
966c88c05e640c053f7817380bd9153c_origina

That image looks *incredibly* close to the one from Reston (according to what I find on Google).
I can only presume it was done intentionally as an homage to the older product (as indeed much of the RQClassic KS was!)

I presume the front matter distinguishes them!  😉

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/13/2023 at 10:37 PM, g33k said:

I suspect you are conflating a memory or image of the Mongoose "MRQ2" edition.

Until someone posted a photo of it here I had never seen it so that probably isn't the case. I also tend to avoid anything Mongoose produces. 

Based on everything posted here I have to assume that a) I was imagining it and b) that I really wish I had picked up a KS version of the RQ2 rules as the commercial copy I picked up at my FLGS has a very large gold image on the cover. I do rather like the simple Reston cover instead. 

So we can probably turn off the Meints Signal as people are probably tired of seeing that giant Issaries symbol illuminating the night sky. 

Chaosium licensed the production of the hardcover RQ2 rulebook to Reston Publishing in the early 1980s. Reston did one print run of the book, with dust jacket. It never had a rune on the cover (below left). The gold colored embossed RuneQuest logo with the author names below it is all that was on the cover. 

The Kickstarter hardcover leatherette (below, right) has a lot more gold foil on the cover, as we did a version of all the cover art. It is a bit more overwhelming to look at.

On a slightly related note, one thing I am wondering is if Reston used two different materials for the book cover. The cover made of Leatherette material is all I have in my collection, but I could have sworn that around 20-25 years ago I saw the book with the cover made of a slightly lighter shade of red cloth. I wonder if they possibly did the cloth material version for libraries...

I've never seen one since, and my memory isn't 100% on seeing a cloth bound version. I keep looking.

image.thumb.jpeg.a62de6d0000ac5fb0a541b8184437e84.jpeg

• Like 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

The Kickstarter hardcover leatherette (below, right) has a lot more gold foil on the cover, as we did a version of all the cover art. It is a bit more overwhelming to look at.

I opened my retail copy and took the cover off and the light from my Ikea LED lamp hit the gold foil and almost blinded me 🙂